Author Topic: Pets and Workbenches  (Read 18693 times)

Offline QuatrerwinTopic starter

• Supporter
Pets and Workbenches
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:14:55 pm »
Anyone else have an issue with their pet(s) constantly jumping onto their workbench? Anything you do to try to keep them off and if so, does it work?

I have a cat and he likes to jump up onto my workbench, which is rarely clean, to explore and/or get to the window. Since it's winter, he builds up quite the static charge. I'm wondering if my ESD mat will be able to protect my ICs from the excess static charge he always seems to carry.

Offline slurry

• Regular Contributor
Re: Pets and Workbenches
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:26:40 pm »
I have a EPA so if i had a cat he would come no closer than the sticky mat at the door to my lab..  :-+

Cat-trap: http://se.farnell.com/integrity/600-4001/kontrollmatta-458mm-x-1-143mm/dp/2478343

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:31:48 pm »
My cat used to jump on my workbench and slept next to the tube amp I was building at the time. Some times she occupied my chair...
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:13:02 am »
Yes! Everywhere in the house he’s allowed go, except for two small benches. Even the kitchen bench I don’t complain!
But where does he want to go the most? One of the two benches!

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 07:29:14 am »
A friend bricked some expensive piece of apparatus when, during a firmware update, the dog ran under the table and tripped on the power supply cable   :-BROKE

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 07:40:03 am »
A friend bricked some expensive piece of apparatus when, during a firmware update, the dog ran under the table and tripped on the power supply cable   :-BROKE
I can understand that! My cat just knocked my Hakko FX-888D off my bench. Fortunately I had disconnected the iron from the base unit, so only the base unit fell. Hoping there's no damage!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:11:10 am »
Oddly enough my beast has never jumped on my work bench - he does climb and jump all over the place though. It is a good thing he leaves my toys alone as he is a monster.

I thought everyone would attach a pic...

VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Inflex

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:29 am »
Sounds like we need to design a static-dissipative cat  ;D

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »
This would be what he does:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:17:23 pm by Quatrerwin »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 05:28:11 pm »
I thought everyone would attach a pic...

So did I ...  :-//

OK one isn't a workbench but I couldn't resist  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline timothyaag

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »
I just keep my workspace so cluttered that there's no where for my cat to go.   :-+

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 07:29:57 pm »
I just keep my workspace so cluttered that there's no where for my cat to go.   :-+

I do the same but my cat still walks all over it and somehow does not knock things over while doing so

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 08:15:29 pm »
Cats climbing places they shouldn't go?  I've no idea what you're talking about...   :-//

Do some of you have issues with that? 

-Pat

If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Inflex

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 11:43:13 pm »
Hate to be a wet blanket, but I personally have no use for cats.  My stepdaughter's cats used to keep trying to come into my office.  It took many, many shots from a squirt bottle filled with water before they finally realized there was no profit in crossing the threshold.  My dogs are welcome any time.  They don't try to climb on the various workbenches/desks.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:33 pm »
I personally have no use for cats.

What?!?!?  Cats are awesome!

Here's my little monster, chilling out on the laser cutter.  And no, that not a tiny laser cutter, it's just a REALLY BIG cat.

Offline switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 12:03:03 am »
Could be a CATastrophe...

;)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 12:05:38 am »
Hate to be a wet blanket, but I personally have no use for cats. 

:(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:59 am »
Hate to be a wet blanket, but I personally have no use for cats.  My stepdaughter's cats used to keep trying to come into my office.  It took many, many shots from a squirt bottle filled with water before they finally realized there was no profit in crossing the threshold.  My dogs are welcome any time.  They don't try to climb on the various workbenches/desks.

Cats find uses for YOU, you have it the wrong way around! If you don't meet the minimum spec, they'll pack their bag and find people who DO.

;D

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 12:11:40 am »

I do the same but my cat still walks all over it and somehow does not knock things over while doing so
keeping my workspace cluttered failed to stop our lab cat.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 12:13:21 am »

Dogs are FAR more awkward, clumsy and attention-seeking than cats. No wonder a dog did it - cats are slow, sleek, stealthy and flexible.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:49:08 am »
My cats love to hang out in my "lab", I'm not sure if it's just because I'm in there or because it's generally warmer than other parts of the house but for the most part I gave up trying to keep them out and I'm just careful to put away anything likely to test the old "curiosity killed the cat" saying. Funny thing is they are all absolutely terrified of the vacuum cleaner and several other completely harmless things, but fire up a sizzling Tesla coil or power up some open equipment with exposed connections and they all want to investigate it.

Double sided tape works well to train them to keep off workbenches and tables and such, cats hate walking on sticky surfaces. I also have a couple of these gadgets called a Scat Cat that fit on a can of air duster and have a motion sensor. Just put it where you don't want the cat and if they get up there it gives a short blast of air that scares them off. Works on people too, it's funny to put one in a cabinet pointed outward and then close the door.  :-DD

It has occurred to me that most of the engineers I know like cats. I find their natural inquisitiveness mirrors my own, and I like how they will generally just hang out and keep me company without being in my face or demanding that I entertain them constantly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:51:50 am by james_s »

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 02:46:06 am »
 I have yet to find any evidence that either of my cats has jumped on my workbench. The older one is likely too fat to jump that high anyway, but the small white one I've found wedge on my other desk behind my monitors. Will be interesting when I get started on my model railroad, on my old one, I used to find evidence of Godzilla-Cat intrusion, mostly in the form of paw prints and claw marks on the extruded foam insulation I used as the base. Did lose a part from a model once, found it on the other side of the front door - seems she absconded with said part and was batting it around and it went under the door, out of reach.
 I have yet to put hooks on the ends of my shelves to hang test leads - and I'm kind of thinking that's probably a good thing that I keep them in a drawer under the bench.
 The dogs don't have a prayer of jumping up to the bench level. They need stairs to get on the bed. Pugs are much in the jumping department.

Offline Jeff_Birt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 02:25:57 pm »
My cat loves short lengths of wire and wire ties, he treats them as prey and many times he will play with a but of wire and then place it in his food dish. I have to be careful to not let him in my work area is I have little parts on the bench as he has habit of wanting to bat all small things off a table to the ground. A few days ago he was trying to sniff my soldering iron when he got close enough that the air he breathed in was hot he would jump back, and then he would try it again immediately.

My dog on the other hand likes to chew up Ethernet cables and cardboard boxes but mostly she just lays at my feet when I'm at the bench.

Offline timothyaag

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »

keeping my workspace cluttered failed to stop our lab cat.

Just leave a couple of wires live and you'll be OK.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 02:53:30 pm »
Hate to be a wet blanket, but I personally have no use for cats. 

:(

X, I at one time liked cats.  When I was a teenager, my older sister had an awesome Persian that loved to drape herself over your shoulders.  I really liked that cat.  My ex-wife had a cat that was the demon from Hell.  I never did anything to that cat but it constantly pissed on my pillow on the bed.  My son agrees that the cat was a demon possessed.  The cat would randomly attack anyone in the house, family members or guests except my ex.  That cat ruined me to ever care for cats again.

Cats find uses for YOU, you have it the wrong way around! If you don't meet the minimum spec, they'll pack their bag and find people who DO.

;D

I'm still waiting for them to pack their bags and leave.  When they meow at me, I always tell them to talk to their mother.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 03:01:24 pm »
Didn't get a picture but one time one of my cats was curled up in the empty plugin space of a Tek 7704 mainframe that was sitting on the floor.

Even though they get into almost everything else, for some unknown reason they stay off of my electronics workbench.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 07:10:18 pm »
Our boy "Gadget" has never jumped up on my workbench. I don't know why not as he is a very curious boy.
This is him settling down in one of the dogs bean bags.

For the slightly more observant...
The carbon dioxide insurance in the background was kept handy during a recent lab experiment that some people may consider potentially incredibly fucking stupid.
(No, I will not elaborate on the details.)
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 07:41:54 pm »
 Either a fire so large it might need two extinguishers, or else just a backup just in case the first one didn;t work... now you MUST elaborate on what you were doing!

Years and years ago I had a cat whose favorite toy was the pull tab from a bottle of milk - dunno if this is the same in other parts fo the world but in the US it's common for milk and similar products to be in palstic bottles with a plastic cab, and there is a tear away bit that acts as a seal around the cap, you need to tear that off before unscrewing the cap. That piece was like catnip to this cat, he'd carry it from room to room, bat it around, you name it. Even when he went off to do other things, some time later he'd come back for his piece of plastic. At the time I had a nifty program that let you create your own text adventures, so I write a little one about the cat trying to find his piece of plastic.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »
You need a class D extinguisher, and a nice thick fire resistant ceramic base to test lithium battery failure modes, and really good ventilation as well if they do go the S7 route. CO2 just moves the flames around, and the best thing otherwise is a large bucket of very dry silica sand.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 07:57:54 pm »
 >:D
No, not lithium batteries.
I appreciate your safety advice for when I may want to test those...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 12:08:41 am »
You need a class D extinguisher, and a nice thick fire resistant ceramic base to test lithium battery failure modes, and really good ventilation as well if they do go the S7 route. CO2 just moves the flames around, and the best thing otherwise is a large bucket of very dry silica sand.

Lithium batteries do not contain metallic lithium, at least not in significant amounts and when they catch fire it is not lithium that is burning. While it may sound ridiculous, plain old water works fine to put out a LiPo fire, sand or dry chemical extinguisher will also work. A class D extinguisher is not required, nor even particularly desired.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 07:07:26 am »
This thread reminds me why pets are banned in my house :)

I have children instead. Actually I'm not sure what's worse.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 02:20:13 pm »
This thread reminds me why pets are banned in my house :)

I have children instead. Actually I'm not sure what's worse.

Children.  Pets don't live as long.  They don't leave the lights on all the time.  They don't drive the car into the garage door when they get their permit.  The dogs always give us love and never talk back and disrespect.  The list is endless.  The 27 year old stepdaughter is still here with the granddaughter.  I think I will be dead before she is able to move out.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 02:55:26 pm »
Buddy everywhere  ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 06:03:26 pm »
Buddy everywhere  ;D
Weird alien you got there  :-\

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 08:51:47 pm »
It's a Sphinx, to them you are just a nice warm place and a food source, plus a source of entertainment.

Nearly had one Thursday, but the sick feral kitten was nowhere to be seen, but Grandma, the black kit, the sorta munchkin tabby and the sorta abasynnian kits were there. Grandma much improved now she is getting some food and can see again, and we want to get them spayed, vaccinated and released again when we catch them. Kits might be trainable, but Grandma is too traumatised to ever live near a human.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 12:21:36 am »
If your cat is going on your workbench it means your workbench is not messy enough.  You have room to start another project on it.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi, Tom45, Cubdriver, Electro Detective

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 01:54:41 am »
If your cat is going on your workbench it means your workbench is not messy enough.  You have room to start another project on it.

Cats don't seem to mind, sometimes I suspect they're made of rubber on the inside. I've had one of my cats lay down on a pile of scrap PCBs I was harvesting bits from. Didn't look the least bit comfortable to me but she didn't seem to notice.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 08:41:38 am »

Dogs are FAR more awkward, clumsy and attention-seeking than cats. No wonder a dog did it - cats are slow, sleek, stealthy and flexible.
Indeed, it's widely known that while dogs see you as the boss of their pack, cats seem to consider you as their pet.  :-DD

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 09:14:54 am »
As they say: "A dog has an owner but a cat has staff."

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, Electro Detective

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 07:38:13 pm »
 Except when it comes to the bed. It seems to defy the laws of physics that a 17 pound Pug can push a 300+ pound guy out of bed, but it happens on a regular basis. The cats just lay on top of you.

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 07:53:15 am »
Has anyone here made anything like cat shelves?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 06:42:53 pm »
Except when it comes to the bed. It seems to defy the laws of physics that a 17 pound Pug can push a 300+ pound guy out of bed, but it happens on a regular basis. The cats just lay on top of you.

My dad used to have a retired racing greyhound, more than once I was visiting and slept on the sofa, the dog climbed in bed with me and stretched out, I woke up on the floor. The cats don't push me out of bed but one of ours does manage to steal my pillow somewhat regularly. I think he curls up against my face and I automatically scoot over a little at a time until he's got the whole pillow.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 08:29:19 pm »
How about that: [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClSch3zLC0k[/video]

after some shocks the cats dont try to jump on the desk.  :-+
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 07:33:04 am »
My cat does not seem to mind the shocks.  :P

I make sure to unplug anything mains related if I step away lol. Was messing around with a HV transformer I made, and just had a long wire and I was making it light up CFL lights and stuff.  Then cat decided to start attacking it.  It's like "noooooooo!"  While scrambling for the switch.  :-DD

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2017, 09:54:29 am »
Has anyone here made anything like cat shelves?

If I ever had a cat that for some reason couldn't be let out - I'd totally make something like these:  https://www.pinterest.com/explore/cat-enclosure/

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2017, 07:25:49 pm »
After having one cat killed by a car and another by coyotes within a 2 year period, I don't let my current cats go outside. They're now the oldest cats I've ever had, two of them are 10 and we have one that's 19. I've had cats I couldn't keep indoors but these seem to have no interest in going out, they're content to sit on the windowsill and survey their kingdom, sniffing at the outside air.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »
After having one cat killed by a car and another by coyotes within a 2 year period, I don't let my current cats go outside. They're now the oldest cats I've ever had, two of them are 10 and we have one that's 19. I've had cats I couldn't keep indoors but these seem to have no interest in going out, they're content to sit on the windowsill and survey their kingdom, sniffing at the outside air.
coyotes? is this common to just have random wolfs outside your house? :\

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2017, 07:41:16 pm »
Coyotes are common out here, they're native animals and live in the woods. They usually keep away from humans but I've seen small groups of them wandering the neighborhood a few times when I've been out for a walk at night. They're smaller than wolves and less aggressive, but they are predators and feed on small mammals.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2017, 08:00:45 pm »
The biggest problem with cats is when you're in the middle of a repair and they spill your carefully organised piles of screws on the floor.

Even keeping the screws in compartmentalised bins doesn't help if the lid's not shut properly.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2017, 08:45:54 pm »
The biggest problem with cats is when you're in the middle of a repair and they spill your carefully organised piles of screws on the floor.

Even keeping the screws in compartmentalised bins doesn't help if the lid's not shut properly.

My cats seam to stay away from that, but that doesn't mean that i haven't  myself accidentally knocked a bunch of screws off the table mid repair by accidentally bumping them.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2017, 09:50:54 pm »
My 4 year old stole all the screws for my frequency counter and hid them in the sofa when I went for a wee the other week. You think cats are bad?! :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:06 pm »
My 4 year old stole all the screws for my frequency counter and hid them in the sofa when I went for a wee the other week. You think cats are bad?! :)

I hid my dad's keys in one of my toys when I was about that age, he didn't find them until almost a month later by which point he'd already got replacements for most of them. Don't ask why I did that, I have no idea.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2017, 06:08:41 am »

I hid my dad's keys in one of my toys when I was about that age, he didn't find them until almost a month later by which point he'd already got replacements for most of them. Don't ask why I did that, I have no idea.

Kids do the weirdest things, when I was a kid I took all the labels off the cans.  Supper time was a mystery every day.  "ok so today we're having corn, beans and tomato sauce"

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2017, 06:24:47 am »
Kids do the weirdest things, when I was a kid I took all the labels off the cans.  Supper time was a mystery every day.  "ok so today we're having corn, beans and tomato sauce"

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2017, 07:57:05 am »
Coyotes are common out here, they're native animals and live in the woods. They usually keep away from humans but I've seen small groups of them wandering the neighborhood a few times when I've been out for a walk at night. They're smaller than wolves and less aggressive, but they are predators and feed on small mammals.

I've lived near wolves and coyotes. You have it backwards. Coyotes are much more aggressive than wolves. Wolves avoid people at all costs and require large isolated areas of wilderness..  Coyotes often live right along side people (although they generally avoid them when possible -  but occassionally have attacked small children). There are several large US urban and suburban areas with large coyote populations which regularly feed on cats. The song birds appreciate that. :)

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2017, 11:36:57 am »
In the Backyard from time to time some Badger, Fox, Cats and other Animals.  :=\

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2017, 01:32:21 pm »
Their favorite game !

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2017, 01:56:14 pm »
Their favorite game !

I hope that doesn't end up like with cats that like playing with toiler paper rolls. Would hate to find the reels empty and a huge ball of tangled wire on the floor.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2017, 11:54:51 am »
Dare we drag Dave into this thread?  I think he hates cats IIRC.

That's ok. Needy, and fuly of problems!

But neither are kids.  My cat is smarter then most people's kids. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2017, 05:48:30 pm »
Most people who don't like cats have never taken the time to get to know one. Cats are introverts, it takes a while for them to warm up to someone, I'm the same way. Once a cat gets to know you, they are a loyal companion.

The following users thanked this post: Miyuki

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2017, 05:53:29 pm »
Once a cat gets to know you, they are a loyal companion.
until the get better food.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 01:26:32 pm »
Once a cat gets to know you, they are a loyal companion.
until the get better food.
I have a cat, as it turns on, at least 10 more people have my cat as their cat, my cat discovered that if you go to every house every day you get x10 food, now the whole neighborhood knows it.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2017, 01:28:47 pm »

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2017, 11:22:23 am »

*than

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2017, 09:48:18 am »
I hate cats.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 09:49:27 am »
I feel sick can someone post more cat videos?

Why do you hate cats the are sssooo cute.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2017, 09:51:09 am »

*than

exactly.     case closed.

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2017, 09:53:01 am »
I feel sick can someone post more cat videos?

Why do you hate cats the are sssooo cute.

I guess I shouldn't say hate, but I don't care for the little monsters... lol

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2017, 09:59:48 am »

There's a very simple solution to that... get rid of the cat.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 10:26:29 am »
After a couple of 'talk to the boot' admin sessions   :o  with our domesticated stray cats (which some low life certified MOFOS dumped in the neighbourhood),
the cats still have their staff, but now KNOW who is the official 'mob boss'  >:D

An easier less painful way:
Put a couple of carton boxes in the lab (or tech wannabee man/lady/cave), with old towels or whatever inside,

put the cat on the bench and step back,

and voila, the cat/s will jump down, hit those boxes and chill out watching you work.

Repeat that a few times till the cat declares the bench a no go zone with a defiant MEEEE-OWWW !   >:(

Add some dried food and water nearby, and no more CATastrophies   :phew:

Repeat as necessary and change boxes when the novelty wears thin   ;D

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2017, 11:55:20 am »
Actually the box trick works really well, for added effect leave the paper packing material inside, they love to lay on it or dug trough to see whats under it.

I found there is no need to change boxes, once my cat finds a box to there liking they keep going in to it.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2017, 12:33:20 pm »
Then there's cats and keyboards -  We had a couple of cats in one of my previous workplaces, and de-catting the keyboard while working was a fr equent occurrence.  As the cat walks over the keyboard, turn your hand palm up, lift cat under the belly, extend your arm sideways past the edge of the desk and drop the cat cleanly to the floor on its feet.  Cat in lap or cat on monitor was generally tolerated even when the cat started fishing over the front of the monitor at what was on the screen.  Cat chasing mouse lead was more problematic as bad timing decatting could lead to said cat pouncing on your hand (though Ginger would do that anyway while you were using the mouse - he liked to play rough). I used a trackball which eliminated the attractive lead wiggle factor

We did have a hotkey combo to bring up a password protected screensaver, which avoided the need to buy PawSense. https://priceonomics.com/the-software-that-detects-when-a-cat-is-messing/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:39:15 pm by Ian.M »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf