Poll

What will seller do to my 100% feedback on ebay?

Keep it at 100.0% by not giving feedback
3 (50%)
Strenghten the 100.0% by giving me full score
1 (16.7%)
Reducing my score to sub 100% standard
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 19, 2013, 08:12:34 AM

Author Topic: Philips/Fluke PM6303 LCR meter, just won ebay auction  (Read 5037 times)

Offline nixxon

• Regular Contributor
Philips/Fluke PM6303 LCR meter, just won ebay auction
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
Hi!

I do some hobby electronics repair and have been looking for a semi-decent LCR meter with ESR measuring capability. I have been looking for a nice price Mastech MS5308 or similar. I want to be able to do some in circuit component testing.

Somehow, I just became highest bidder on an ebay Philips PM6303. Of course, I hope it is worth the US $89.88 bid + US $75 shipping with USPS Express MailĀ® International (The express option saves me $41 in customs declaration fee at the mail office).

Here is a 1991 brochure: http://www.teknetelectronics.com/DataSheet/PHILIPS/PHILI_630395255.pdf

The ebay description of the PM6303 RCL Meter and the PM9542 Test Adapter is as follows:

"Fluke/Philips RCL MeterModel# PM6303 in good condition, items powers up.
 All items are sold as is."

One of the fuzzy pictures shows the meter turned on with the test adapter plugged in without any other connections (8 banana posts not connected to anything).

The LCD display of the meter reads 6.30 kH and shows the capacitance symbol and the inductance symbol in series. "RCL Auto" LED is lit.

I have never used such an instrument. Should I worry about the readings on the display, or are they plausible of a good meter? I will be happy for any comments regarding this.

If it works, I hope the meter will be a good companion, even though it only has 1 KHz measuring frequency.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:18:49 PM by nixxon »

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Philips/Fluke PM6303 LCR meter, just won ebay auction
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:39 AM »
I don't know anything about this meter until now, so can't help you there.  However, I was able to find a PDF user manual, which is attached.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
It appears to be a very capable LCR meter for making spot checks, if working its certainly more affordable than modern hand held LCR meters.  The standard test frequency for most spec sheets is 1kHz, so its a simple way to confirm basic specifications.   In specific applications, like RF or switch mode capacitors, the spec sheets may be derived using other frequencies, but these are less common usages; as always its good to confirm the test frequency before making comparisons.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »
That's an absolute bargain!

Dave.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
Oh, I just realised it's the old model, and not the new model:

Still should be a nice meter though.

Dave.

Offline nixxon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:54:38 AM »
I don't know anything about this meter until now, so can't help you there.  However, I was able to find a PDF user manual, which is attached.

Thank you for enclosing the manual. Looks pretty straight forward to convert from 110  to 238 volts.

Offline nixxon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 03:06:27 AM »
It appears to be a very capable LCR meter for making spot checks, if working its certainly more affordable than modern hand held LCR meters.  The standard test frequency for most spec sheets is 1kHz, so its a simple way to confirm basic specifications.   In specific applications, like RF or switch mode capacitors, the spec sheets may be derived using other frequencies, but these are less common usages; as always its good to confirm the test frequency before making comparisons.

I presume 1kHz is perfectly good enough for my needs.

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 03:20:57 AM »
Good LCR meter there, and it does work on 220V. Nice in that it can bias up to 2V for checking capacitors with no problems. I did use one to check 2000 capacitors, it was as fast as me to do the checking. Still took 2 days to get through them all.

Offline nixxon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 03:31:32 AM »
That's an absolute bargain!

Dave.

I was really happy to read this comment, Dave. Still happy, even after reading your next post.

It seems these meters (even old model) are pretty expensive on ebay. Wonder why the highest bid was an order of magnitude  ;) lower this time.

The accuracy and resolution seems pretty awesome. The measuring span is also impressive  :D

Offline nixxon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 04:07:03 AM »
I still fear that the 6.30 kH on the LCD display means there is a major malfunction. I there a plausible reason for such a reading on a working meter?

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 04:40:41 AM »
Think about it... what would the characteristics of a 6300H inductor be? You could apply a voltage across it for a short time, but the current would ramp up so slowly you'd be lucky to measure any current at all. Over a short timescale, it would be hard to distinguish from an open circuit.

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 04:45:30 AM »
Misadjusted zero setting, then the meter is overcompensated and thinks it has a realllllllllllly big inductor connected to the terminals when the probe assembly is removed. Plug in the 4 lead assembly with nothing in it then it will read 0.0pF.

Offline nixxon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 06:35:20 AM »
Thank you, AndyC and SeanB for your comments that made me quite a bit calmer.

If it should be of interest to anyone looking for RCL meter, there are no bids on a $ 50 meter on ebay with 1 day left: "LCR Meter by Tenma 72-370 w/case"

I dont know the specs, but it may be a useful meter...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:38:56 AM by nixxon »

Offline nixxon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
Good LCR meter there, and it does work on 220V. Nice in that it can bias up to 2V for checking capacitors with no problems. I did use one to check 2000 capacitors, it was as fast as me to do the checking. Still took 2 days to get through them all.

Hope you at least caught one bad cap ;)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
    • NIST
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 03:33:07 AM »
Its a defacto standard for testing L & C.  But on occasion, spec sheets are made using 10k or 100kHz, just keep an eye out when testing them.  DCV bias of 2V is ok for general testing, but be skeptical about it because in actual use DC bias changes should be close to the operating voltage of most circuits, typically 5-12V, if true capacitance is critical to you.   Bias for L is different, which is in current, and requires a current source but is not included in this LCR meter.

http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/capacitor_voltage_change.htm

I presume 1kHz is perfectly good enough for my needs.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf