Poll

What will seller do to my 100% feedback on ebay?

Keep it at 100.0% by not giving feedback
3 (50%)
Strenghten the 100.0% by giving me full score
1 (16.7%)
Reducing my score to sub 100% standard
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 18, 2013, 09:12:34 pm

Author Topic: Philips/Fluke PM6303 LCR meter, just won ebay auction  (Read 21147 times)

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
Re: Philips/Fluke PM6303 LCR meter, just won ebay auction
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:16 pm »
It's a dirty trick, and I've had a couple similar occasions as well. For SUCH a high priced item, he'd know that he's in a high risk
situation, and have an escape plan. The resolution process is such a MESS as well. I've had friends who've had their accounts /
etc frozen because the seller / buyer had put in a fraudulent claim. All "tools" in the game. Luckily, most the time it works.
Good luck
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:31 pm »
Sounds like you got all your money back with relatively little fuss. eBay is a high risk playground, and you got burned, but you're not out much.

It's much worse when you get sent the incorrect part or the description is an outright lie (ie. getting used and broken parts advertised as new). Then you've got to foot the bill for return shipping before you get your refund. Happened to me on a $200 lot of hard drives that cost $75 to ship. Almost wasn't worth returning them.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:31 pm »
It doesn't help your situation but I can report that I have had over 2100 ebay transactions and can count the number of times I had problems on one hand. It is a Gentlemans agreement on ebay....nothing more. If the seller refuses to ship and item or, more commonly, claims it has been lost or destroyed, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to force the seller to ship the item. I know from personal experience. IMHO ebay has become far more hazardous in the past few years...many instances of fraud or non-disclosure. I have complained regarding non disclosure of faults and usually obtain a partial refund. Its all just part of the 'game'.

I understand your disappointment and have been in exactly the same situation. I learnt that it was best to move on, as life is too short and there is plenty of other stuff to spend the money on. By the way... I have lots of older Philips kit like the PM6303..... it is OLD and so liable to need a full capacitor re-fit and other refurbishment works. That LCR meter is great when new but it is one old girl now. Consider buying a more modern LCR meter with your money. It will likely be more accurate than an elderly Philips unit anyway. I have a lab type Wayne Kerr 4225 and I hardly ever use it now that I have the more compact Mastech 5308.

All the Best

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:49:57 am by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Rick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 12:58:31 am »
The item is still not shipped and I have not heard from the seller since December 19.  :-//

Maybe he has gone under cover?  :--

December 28 the item was somehow marked as shipped and I was provided a tracking number. The status of the item is still "Electronic Shipping Info Received", meaning "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 28, 2012 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date."

What is really strange is that this seller has sold more than 600 items on ebay and has a 100,0% positive feedback score. What were the odds that the first transaction he should ever mess up was mine?  :'(

This is USPS playing a trick with people. I had the same problem with a seller and thought he did not actually ship the item. Like you I opened a case and won it however the bloody item arrived a few days later... I had to contact the seller and pay him again. Strangely he did not want the shipping cost paid. I insisted to pay the shipping cost too of course. I paid both the shipping cost and the agreed price of the item a second time after I got a refund. Now it looks like the bargraph of that Fluke 87 does not work right but that's fine as I got it cheap. This is to say, as ebay points out, you should wait till the end before opening a case. You will probably receive that item. I can bet on that. Sometimes USPS displays that misleading message which makes you think the item has not been shipped. So if you receive the item pay him again:)  Someone does't get a 100% positive feedback if he is a crook.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:01:33 am by Rick »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 07:19:51 pm »
I've only been 'burned' 2x in an eBay purchase, but I waited until the date of receipt had passed before opening a case.  One item of two from the same seller from China never arrived, when I queried the seller after the delivery date had expired he immediately refunded my money, which was very nice of him because he 'ate' the loss.  I gave him good feedback despite not having an item and waiting 1 month.

The second seller was from a USA source.  He never returned my emails, item never shipped. eBay immediately refunded my money without question.

In legal issues in the USA, you send 3 polite demand letters, return receipt.   I did the same via eBay mail, about 1-2 days apart; eBay can get copies of those communiques from their servers, so you need not CC it to someone.   The day my delivery date expired and I got no reply from 3 emails, I opened a case, and in a few hours, I got the money refunded and judgment to me.  The seller's ID disappeared a few days later, too.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Rick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 07:30:31 pm »
I've only been 'burned' 2x in an eBay purchase, but I waited until the date of receipt had passed before opening a case.  One item of two from the same seller from China never arrived, when I queried the seller after the delivery date had expired he immediately refunded my money, which was very nice of him because he 'ate' the loss.  I gave him good feedback despite not having an item and waiting 1 month.

The second seller was from a USA source.  He never returned my emails, item never shipped. eBay immediately refunded my money without question.

In legal issues in the USA, you send 3 polite demand letters, return receipt.   I did the same via eBay mail, about 1-2 days apart; eBay can get copies of those communiques from their servers, so you need not CC it to someone.   The day my delivery date expired and I got no reply from 3 emails, I opened a case, and in a few hours, I got the money refunded and judgment to me.  The seller's ID disappeared a few days later, too.
Ok I understand , in the latter case the seller was not a good one.
But those delivery dates are just estimates.
Like I have a few items being shipped these days. They have been shipped a few days after the payments were made. So the date estimates for the delivery are no more valid. Normally I would wait till ebay warns me about opening a case (45 or 50 days?) if I have not received the item. Then I have 30 more days to escalate the case. Otherwise you are very likely to repeat my mistake and that will cause more trouble (having to pay again, more bank transfer and paypal fees etc.). Normally if a seller has sold 600 items with a 100% feedback that shows he is quite good. I wouldn't be that nervous. But some sellers are not good communicators (like the one I came across). He was out of the town all the time. He had access to internet through his mobile phone though. But he prefered not to communicate a lot. In the case of the OP, the seller seems to have shipped the item late but I am quite sure he will receive it. I am very eager to know the outcome of this story.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:33:02 pm by Rick »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 12:13:09 pm »
yes but the dates are used for their arbitration, and the seller must abide by the date.  If you do not receive item by the longest estimated date, even if the shipper has lost package in transit, you are entitled to a refund.  If you wish to wait more, that is the buyers choice.  If the package arrives after you get a refund, its again, the buyer's morals to repay the seller.

Naturally, one can make allowances for  shipment that is  international and the buyer chooses some very economy shipper.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html

There is a good faith dispute between you and the seller regarding the item. A good faith dispute can include cases such as:
You did not receive the item in the estimated delivery time provided on the Order details page (or, if no estimated time was specified, 7 days after payment for items where the origin zip code and destination zip code of the item is within the U.S., or 10 days after payment for items where either or both the origin zip code and destination ZIP code of the item are not within the US). We may lengthen this period when necessary, for example, based on the type of shipping provided or the buyer's location.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Rick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 02:02:18 pm »
yes but the dates are used for their arbitration, and the seller must abide by the date.  If you do not receive item by the longest estimated date, even if the shipper has lost package in transit, you are entitled to a refund.  If you wish to wait more, that is the buyers choice.  If the package arrives after you get a refund, its again, the buyer's morals to repay the seller.

Naturally, one can make allowances for  shipment that is  international and the buyer chooses some very economy shipper.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html

There is a good faith dispute between you and the seller regarding the item. A good faith dispute can include cases such as:
You did not receive the item in the estimated delivery time provided on the Order details page (or, if no estimated time was specified, 7 days after payment for items where the origin zip code and destination zip code of the item is within the U.S., or 10 days after payment for items where either or both the origin zip code and destination ZIP code of the item are not within the US). We may lengthen this period when necessary, for example, based on the type of shipping provided or the buyer's location.

I see, but as a sign of good will, one can give up to 75 days to the seller to deliver the item, depending on the mode of shipment (shipping by sea for example takes much longer):
35-40 days before you open a case then another 30 days before you escalate. In those cases you do not lose anything (you lose time may be...) but you will have given time to the seller to ship the item.

Offline MetraCollector

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 10:29:25 am »
I searched for this instrument on eBay and was surprised of the low price yet, but then I read this topic and what a pitty :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-Philips-LCR-Meter-/140905504567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ce9f5f37

Offline nixxonTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 08:14:57 pm »
I searched for this instrument on eBay and was surprised of the low price yet, but then I read this topic and what a pitty :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-Philips-LCR-Meter-/140905504567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ce9f5f37

Hey, that is the very same PM6303 that i bought December 22! ;) I really don't care anymore, as I got my money back and have ordered an alternative unit, Mastech MS5308 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/380482359785 . It cost me just below $200 incl. shipping and accessories. Probably a better overall deal than the PM6303.

I don't mind if anyone wants to buy it, but some part of me hopes that the item goes for less than $89 :D

I wonder if the seller chooses to ship the item to the highest bidder this time?

Offline 1980s_john

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 11:46:12 pm »
Hi,

I also have just won one of these on eBay. When it arrived I was surprised how large a box it is, but this will make it easier to keep running in the future.

I haven't used a true LCR meter before (I have a meter that can measure capacitance, inductance and resistance but I think the resistance ranges are DC not AC). Most small components measured as expected (I checked +/- 15V and made a minor adjustments, the front Cx setting was way off but I now get 0pF with nothing connected). However I am unsure about Cs/Cp readings for large electrolytic capacitors. Are these only measured properly with the Cs (2V bias) setting?

For one 4700uF 10V capacitor and with manual setting of measurement I got:

• Cs= 5.56mF

Cp= 129uF

Rp=0.19 ohm

Rs=0.186 ohm

Does this look OK, ie can ignore the Cp reading as there is not enough DC bias?

Maybe another PM6303 user can check their unit with a similar cap please.

Regards,
John
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:57:43 am by 1980s_john »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf