Author Topic: Is this a standard connector?  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Red SquirrelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Is this a standard connector?
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:46:25 am »
The DC side of this adapter: https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Charger-Supply-Adapter-Balanced/dp/B01M3SQJMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488433728&sr=8-1&keywords=42+volt+power+adapter

My nephew has a "hoverboard"  (hopefully it's not the same model that explodes) and the charging adapter stopped working so decided to open it just to see if i can troubleshoot it.   It's an easy one, I get power at the DC output but not at the end of the cable, so it's something wrong with the cable or connector.   I may just buy the new adapter, but figured if I can find that type of connector somewhere I can just replace it. 

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Is this a standard connector?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:41:57 am »
It almost looks like some strange DIN connector.

I am somewhat sure it's a standard, I just don't know what it is.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:00:14 am »
No, it is not a "standard" connector.   I would estimate your chances of finding an interchangeable replacement pretty remote.
I would replace both sides of the connection with something more common and more robust.  The fact that it has failed is a pretty strong indicator that you could do better than that.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:04:53 am »
I can't say I've ever seen that style before - especially in that size.  Seems rather small for my liking.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:11:24 am »
I can't say I've ever seen that style before - especially in that size.  Seems rather small for my liking.

I have a small Black & Decker rechargeable screwdriver with the exact same connector but with only two contacts. No idea what it is called.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:13:30 am »
I've seen that many times. As to what it's called and where to find it though...

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:24:31 am »
I think I've seen it before.  Look in the digikey or mouser catalog.  It was near the same section as the old dell laptop plugs IIRC.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 04:12:16 am »
No, it is not a "standard" connector.   I would estimate your chances of finding an interchangeable replacement pretty remote.
I would replace both sides of the connection with something more common and more robust.  The fact that it has failed is a pretty strong indicator that you could do better than that.

That's kinda my plan B.  I might go with a standard barrel connector or something.  It needs to handle 2 amps at 42 volts so that should not be too hard. 

It's kinda annoying as my sister just bought this for him not that long ago, he used it like 3 times until it stopped charging, all because of terrible workmanship.  The company seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.  Typical. lol. 

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:03:20 am »
It looks similar to the old Dell laptop connectors. They were a bugger because you couldn't just buy an off-the-shelf AC/car adapter, you had to buy the Dell one. It seems these days they have adapters.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:05:12 am by Halcyon »

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 03:16:20 am »
That looks darn similar to a mini xlr connector, they are great, but not when they are just made out of plastic.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 03:27:21 am »
Hmmm you're right, I have a wireless mic that uses something similar I should check if it fits, then I can at least have something to search for.  Worse case I might just order that plug pack, but on the other hand I kinda want to just mod a new connector as it will be cheaper and more fun. :P   The existing PSU does provide power so that part actually still works fine.

Think I'll search around Amazon and see if I can find a fitting plug/socket combination and go from there.  Digikey would be the fastest though but don't like ordering from there unless it's a large order so I can get free shipping.   .... and this is how i end up buying $200 of "stuff I might need one day".  :P   

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »
To me it looks a lot like the Bulgin mains inlet connector that was used on a lot of UK equipment before the IEC connector took over.

There were two sizes, the smaller one was also used for the 24 V on at least some Weller soldering irons. Re-wireable screw terminal and solder bucket ones are available, they're now not recommended for mains because most designs can be disassembled without tools.

I think this is one of the big ones: https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/BMLS3P.html but I have bought the small type in the last couple of years.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 05:49:29 am »
Ended up just buying off Digikey after all.  Went with these:

http://www.digikey.ca/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=220908913&
http://www.digikey.ca/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=220908923&

Did not check out yet, just debating on other misc stuff to add to the order to make the shipping cost more worth it. :P

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 08:50:58 am »
It’s a Bulgin plug, common for Leak and Marshall amps in the day, and there’s still modern version with the same name
used by the last company I worked for.
I had to chase the vintage version for my Leak TL12 Plus.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:21:34 am by G7PSK »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 02:23:29 pm »
It appears that everyone is considerably over-estimating the SIZE of that connector. If the original photo cited by @Red Squirrel is accurate, that connector is perhaps 1/4 or maybe 1/3 the size of an XLR (or those old threaded-ring) connectors. It looks like that connector is 1cm or smaller in diameter.  It is nothing like a mini-XLR connector either, as the pin diameter and location are quite different.  It is in the genre of those proprietary power/charging connectors seen on some notebook computers, docking stations, etc. I have very low expectations that the connectors the OP ordered will be even remotely compatible.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 03:10:45 pm »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »
Black & Decker charger - two pin version.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:20 pm »
It appears that everyone is considerably over-estimating the SIZE of that connector. If the original photo cited by @Red Squirrel is accurate, that connector is perhaps 1/4 or maybe 1/3 the size of an XLR (or those old threaded-ring) connectors. It looks like that connector is 1cm or smaller in diameter.  It is nothing like a mini-XLR connector either, as the pin diameter and location are quite different.  It is in the genre of those proprietary power/charging connectors seen on some notebook computers, docking stations, etc. I have very low expectations that the connectors the OP ordered will be even remotely compatible.

We do have a wireless mic at church that uses mini XLR so I could check to see if it fits (powered off of course! lol) but I ended up ordering a completely different one anyway.  A plug and socket, so I'll just swap both out and call it a day.

Offline jdraughn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 01:50:15 am »
I actually just bought nearly the same adapter, just got it in the mail two days ago.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXMY0TE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually cut the connector off the end and soldered one of these on instead http://www.banggood.com/Ten-Pair-Of-Fireproof-T-Plug-Connector-For-RC-ESC-Battery-p-987711.html?rmmds=search

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf