Author Topic: Please help me get a oscilloscope  (Read 15916 times)

Offline StonecoldTopic starter

• Contributor
Please help me get a oscilloscope
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:20:29 pm »
I really need a oscilloscope please help me! https://www.gofundme.com/13-year-old-boy-needs-ossiliscope

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:29:33 pm by Stonecold »

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Please help me get a oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:39:08 pm »
Try your local craigslist, you don't need anything fancy to get started, an old scope is cheaper than an ipad.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:49:46 pm »
Get a job.  Earn some money.  Buy one.

That's not too hard for a snowflake to remember, is it?

The following users thanked this post: MickM, ludzinc

Offline Aztlanpz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:53:24 pm »
 :-DD

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:38:54 pm »
Goodness gracious you guys are mean-spirited.

Try your local craigslist, you don't need anything fancy to get started, an old scope is cheaper than an ipad.
Or maybe he's using his parent's iPad, as many kids do?

Oh fuck off with the "snowflake" crap.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, mathsquid, mtdoc, FivePoint03, gnavigator1007, tablatronix, mikeys, dos, AlexNorell, Novanoid

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 11:27:34 pm »

Oh fuck off with the "snowflake" crap.

Humbug must humbug. At least the kid is taking some initiative, some action. He might even
get his wish, who knows.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline AlexNorell

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 11:31:33 pm »
Here is an old Tek 2213 for $35 near you.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/bfs/d/for-sale-tektronix-analog/6211924909.html
Give the guy a call, and he might even be willing to give it to you for free.

And if you want a scope and a ton of other vintage test equipment, this guy has a huge lot for $100.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/d/test-equipment-lot-eico-bk/6216705743.html

The following users thanked this post: MK14, hermit

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 11:38:57 pm »
  Humbug must humbug. At least the kid is taking some initiative, some action.

No he's not. This is not how the world works. You don't ask for a hand out for something that the lack of will not cause your demise. He is not in need of food, clothing, shelter, medical treatment, etc. He wants <- key word - an oscilloscope. It saddens me greatly to see a generation where their first thought when wanting or needing something is charity.

I want an oscilloscope. I cannot afford an oscilloscope. I do not have an oscilloscope and I will not have an oscilloscope for the foreseeable future. It is no one else's responsibility to buy one for me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:09:14 am by MarkS »

The following users thanked this post: Muxr, MK14, Inverted18650

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:37:20 am »
  Humbug must humbug. At least the kid is taking some initiative, some action.

No he's not. This is not how the world works. You don't ask for a hand out for something that the lack of will not cause your demise. He is not in need of food, clothing, shelter, medical treatment, etc. He wants <- key word - an oscilloscope. It saddens me greatly to see a generation where their first thought when wanting or needing something is charity.

I want an oscilloscope. I cannot afford an oscilloscope. I do not have an oscilloscope and I will not have an oscilloscope for the foreseeable future. It is no one else's responsibility to buy one for me.

Actually, it *is* how the world works. It never hurts to ask. The worst that can happen is someone says no. However, you'd be surprised what people will give you by just asking nicely.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:58:25 am »
It never hurts to ask.

No, it does not, but that isn't what he is doing. He isn't asking someone throwing out an oscilloscope if he can have it. He isn't asking someone replacing an older, but working, oscilloscope to make him a deal. He isn't haggling on the price of an oscilloscope already for sale.

He is begging the internet at large and the members of this forum specifically for a hand out. He isn't making an effort to get this on his own, through hard work. He is hoping we'll foot the bill. Why should we?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:58:00 am by MarkS »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, MK14

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 01:09:02 am »
I am asking for a maximum of 500 and I am not convincing people to donate.They donate if they want to donate.I am really only want enough money to buy a decent scope.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 01:09:14 am »

If his parents are rich enough to buy an ipad they can afford 1/10th of the price for a scope.  I sure can't afford an ipad but I was able to scrape together $40 for a scope on craigslist.

You missed my point though, I was demonstrating that a used scope sufficient to start out with is not something affordable or even expensive.  I actually have two now, bought one for $30 then bought a nicer one for $40.  Planned to sell the $30 one but my son wants it.  Mowing two yards would earn enough to buy a $30 scope.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:50:37 am by eugenenine »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 03:04:01 am »
Ignore the naysayers Stonecold. Good on you for taking the initiative. Do you have a paypal account?  If so, PM me your email and I'll send you a donation (I'm not a fan of Go Fund Me).  Keep your expectations realistic though - a used analog scope for < $100 is all you need to get started. (and check the spelling on your Go Fund Me page!).

For the naysaying scrooges - he's 13 - at that age it is not easy to earn money other than an allowance from parents. With his mom out of work (and I assume no dad around) an allowance may not be an option. 

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 03:17:23 am »
Maybe you will get support if you explain why you need a $500 dollar scope and not an analog scope,  you will get more support. My first scope an analog tektronix. I paid 80 bucks for it. I'm just a 14 y/o and there is no way i need the functionality of digital storage, and neither did the engineers until the late 1980's
Just me and my scope.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, MK14, denimdragon

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 03:22:07 am »
I don't need a 500 scope I just put it at that I need something that works good

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 03:38:03 am »

Go to Ebay and grab a nice vintage Hitachi V-212 for under $75. You'll have a blast with it.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 03:40:43 am »

Go to Ebay and grab a nice vintage Hitachi V-212 for under $75. You'll have a blast with it.  :-+
Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Mattjd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 03:56:26 am »

Swear to god, I was gonna say "start by selling ur ipad"

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 04:31:23 am »
If the word "need" is restricted to stuff required for basic survival, it wouldn't be a particularly useful word in most contexts! Never mind that his intent is to use it for education, which easily comes in handy for being able to afford basic needs and more in the long term.

He could possibly sell his iPad, but perhaps that's his only decent way to go online? Maybe he has some old, unused gadgets to sell, but I would more suggest doing cryptocurrency mining with them. (My old Kindle Fire has made me $75 so far this month, thanks to a price jump on the altcoin it was mining. Sadly, such a jump is unsustainable so I wouldn't expect that to keep going for long.)

Or given that he does have at least an iPad, start making videos and asking for donations. People are much more likely to give when they think they'll get something back (video content) in return.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 04:39:40 am »
Many schools these days require students to have a tablet. It may not be the luxury item you think.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, denimdragon

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 04:41:56 am »
Many schools these days require students to have a tablet. It may not be the luxury item you think.
My school does not require me to have a tablet.

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 04:45:10 am »
Don't sell your tablet. If you use it a lot, you will want to buy it again, which costs more if you sell it.
Yeah I am not going to sell it.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 05:13:09 am »
Stonecold, please disregard and ignore some of the sunday hangovers here,

they do not represent the EEVblog community, even though they feebly attempt to  :palm:

Best of luck scoring a good WORKING analogue scope locally, even if you have to save a few bucks to buy one   :-+

In the meantime suggest to use the iPad to check out some oscilloscope Youtube videos,
especially the safety related ones dealing with earth/ground connections and probe basics etc, 

so you don't cook your circuit, scope or yourself.. on the first day!  :o

www.eevblog.com/2012/05/18/eevblog-279-how-not-to-blow-up-your-oscilloscope/

cool videos  :clap:

youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4QlfH-oqk

youtube.com/watch?v=xaELqAo4kkQ 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:23:31 am by Electro Detective »

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 05:16:55 am »
Stonecold, please disregard and ignore some of the sunday hangovers here,

they do not represent the EEVblog community, even though they feebly attempt to  :palm:

Best of luck scoring a good WORKING analogue scope locally, even if you have to save a few bucks to buy one   :-+

In the meantime suggest to use the iPad to check out some oscilloscope Youtube videos,
especially the safety related ones dealing with earth/ground connections and probe basics etc, 

so you don't cook your circuit, scope or yourself.. on the first day!  :o

www.eevblog.com/2012/05/18/eevblog-279-how-not-to-blow-up-your-oscilloscope/

cool video here >   youtube.com/watch?v=xaELqAo4kkQ
Thank you for the video suggestions

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 06:07:43 am »
Hello Stonecold,

Here is some advice, from someone who has given away two oscilloscopes so far.
First thing is you need to put more detail in your explanation of *why* anyone should give you a scope. The two I gave, one was to a fellow in the Philippines, who was a hard working guy, supporting a family, had already set himself up with great effort to do simple electronic repairs, despite considerable economic hardship that was not his fault. Just born in a poor country with a very bad exchange rate so buying stuff from overseas was impossible for him.

The other scope giveaway was to a personal friend, who is considerably socially handicapped for various reasons beyond his control.
Your gofundme page says:

Hello,my name is Brett and  I need a ossilscope.Ever since I have took apart a radio,I have wanted the be a Electrical  Engineer.My mom is out of work and I unable to get a job.I have been wanting a ossilliscope for a long time and it would really help if you donate.Thanks for reading

There are a few problems with that, which don't inspire generosity.
First is grammar. Like it or not, people make judgements based on your ability to write correct English, spelling, punctuation, etc. Here's how your text would be, if you took a little more care just with grammar:

Hello, my name is Brett and I need an oscilloscope. Ever since I first took apart a radio, I have wanted to be an Electrical  Engineer. My mom is out of work and I am unable to get a job. I have been wanting an oscilloscope for a long time and it would really help if you donate. Thanks for reading.

But you could put a lot more into it than that.
Include some more about yourself and your situation. Why can't you get a job? Do you have some special needs or handicaps? Or do you live in a socially or economically disadvantaged area? Your workbench photo looks like it's in a nice house, fairly new.  So how come you can't scrape together a little cash for a low cost second hand scope?
You say you've been wanting one for a long time, but what have you tried doing so far to get yourself one? And how did that fail? Here you are talking to people who all know how cheap old second hand analog scopes are, and how perfectly acceptable they are for hobbyist/beginner use.

I don't have a spare scope I'd want to give away at the moment, and anyway I'm currently broke, having trouble getting my car past rego, and couldn't afford to ship a scope to the USA. Which btw, would be absurd - donating a scope from Australia to the USA, where cheap surplus equipment is very common. But there's your problem. You have to make a case for why you, in the USA, have been unable to find a usable scope for yourself. Most people would be hard to convince that was real. Even using perfect grammar.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:09:22 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, bjcuizon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf