Poll

Should the EEVblog Forum change servers?

Yes
76 (46.9%)
No
13 (8%)
I don't care, just don't screw it up.
73 (45.1%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: POLL: Should I change servers?  (Read 25977 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: POLL: Should I change servers?
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2018, 02:10:45 am »
Actually that "then you must use relatively weak passwords because they must be memorable as must the user identifiers"  is wrong.  There is a way and newer papers have been coming out on it.  You use random but associable words along with a symbol/number or two mixed in.  This produces very high entropy while still being able to be used by most humans.  Really good read if you search for it.  I used to think like you do..  now this does have a flaw in in big data can really weaken it due to predicting human patterns at large.. kinda like Hunter2 but if you can train people away from those patterns and into using a more random but remember-able state.. it does work wonders.  Least for now.
Passphrases aren't ideal. A dictionary attack will greatly reduce the entropy of one and the fact that people permutate words in fairly predictable ways only exacerbates the issue.

The underlying problem is that people are terrible at being properly random. On paper a passphrase yields a huge entropy, but human behaviour ruins that.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2018, 03:16:53 pm »
Any updates?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2018, 09:01:23 pm »
We should be going live later this week, I have had to give priority to paid work.

The following users thanked this post: ovnr, tautech, Zucca, Ampera, MK14, beanflying

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2018, 09:35:09 pm »
We should be going live later this week, I have had to give priority to paid work.

Excited to see how it all works out. Good work gnif!
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline kulla

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2018, 10:24:09 pm »
Holding thumbs crossed that migration goes well, as I know how migrations works :)

I know you don't need it but in case you need any help from fellow sysadmin regarding nginx or anything else I'm all yours.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »
You completely dodge the point that if you don't use a password manager then you must use relatively weak passwords because they must be memorable as must the user identifiers. One of my password stores contains 98 passwords, the other contains 110. They almost all have completely random passwords with 48 bits minimum entropy and most of the user identifiers are also random strings (or email address with random user parts) with a minimum of 48 bits of entropy. That's a lot of entropy, certainly more that anyone normal could remember.
"Must" is too strong. Have you never seen one of these?

You don't even have to write down the random letters you use, you can use letters picked (systematically) from a novel or other book. The mind is a critical keystore (it's the only one that requires your volition to unlock it) but it should be used to key into larger sets of data.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2018, 11:38:36 pm »
You completely dodge the point that if you don't use a password manager then you must use relatively weak passwords because they must be memorable as must the user identifiers. One of my password stores contains 98 passwords, the other contains 110. They almost all have completely random passwords with 48 bits minimum entropy and most of the user identifiers are also random strings (or email address with random user parts) with a minimum of 48 bits of entropy. That's a lot of entropy, certainly more that anyone normal could remember.
"Must" is too strong. Have you never seen one of these?

You don't even have to write down the random letters you use, you can use letters picked (systematically) from a novel or other book. The mind is a critical keystore (it's the only one that requires your volition to unlock it) but it should be used to key into larger sets of data.

How strange to post an image of a notebook, but to omit to quote the last paragraph of what I wrote:

All the people I know or know of in the infosec business recommend using a password manager, and wherever possible using non-memorable random passwords. Bruce Schneier even once went so far as to say that you should write strong passwords down on paper in preference to using ones that are memorable but weak.

In case you don't recognise the name, Bruce is possibly the foremost cryptologist regularly writing for consumption by the general technical community. He was one of the submitters, and finalists, for both NIST competitions that led to AES and SHA-3. When someone of that calibre offers advice I'm going to listen to them.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:56 pm »
I subscribe to the belief that you needn't read everything someone has ever said to understand one sentence. The consequence of this belief is that if you start your message with a falsehood, I will not read it to the end.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:04 pm »
I subscribe to the belief that you needn't read everything someone has ever said to understand one sentence. The consequence of this belief is that if you start your message with a falsehood, I will not read it to the end.

:palm: Unbelievable ...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2018, 04:48:26 pm »
Are we now riding on the new beast?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2018, 05:59:06 pm »
Are we now riding on the new beast?

For some time. Only minor bumps in the road.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2018, 09:21:58 pm »
Excellent! :popcorn:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf