Author Topic: Porsche claims they can charge their electric cars at 350KW  (Read 6940 times)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Porsche claims they can charge their electric cars at 350KW
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 06:56:37 pm »
One thing that is often overlooked is the essentially zero cost of maintenance.  A tire rotation every 7500 miles and an environmental air filter replacement every 15000 miles.  And NEVER a smog check!

Interesting thing:  The tires on the Spark EV are different diameters front to rear.  So, no tire rotation!  Just replace the environmental air filter every once in awhile if you happen to think about it.

Offline mcinqueTopic starter

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
One thing that is often overlooked is the essentially zero cost of maintenance.
Not even the transmission/gearbox?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 07:45:56 pm »

Production electric cars generally have a simple single-speed gearbox. Electric motors have a large enough torque range that there's not much need for shifting.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 09:23:11 pm »
  Why would I buy an electric car if I had to concern myself with battery pack depreciation.  In fact, that's why I leased both the Spark EV and the Bolt.  I don't want to get into the battery replacement part of the life cycle.

So....  first you say it's important to you that you own the battery, then you say you're leasing the whole car?

Rest assured, the lessor is accounting for the battery life, and they don't have your interests in mind when they do it.

The batteries are guaranteed for 8 years for the Chevy but that still amounts to having to add about $150/month to the cost of the car.

The car would be that much cheaper to buy or lease if it didn't come with a hardwired battery.  You would then lease the battery, paying only for the coulombs you actually put through it.  With standardized form factors, manufacturers could focus on improving the underlying technology and compete to offer the best deals.

Right now, it's as if you're forced to buy flashlights that only work with Duracell or Energizer batteries.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 09:36:15 pm »

Production electric cars generally have a simple single-speed gearbox. Electric motors have a large enough torque range that there's not much need for shifting.

What about bearing checks, motor coolant, brake pads, brake fluid, wiper blades and wiper fluid, AC pressure checks, exc?

Oh, and apparently the Tesla S does require transmission oil.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:42 pm »
Seems a bit like 350 kW "PMPO" to me.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 11:20:58 pm »

What about bearing checks, motor coolant, brake pads, brake fluid, wiper blades and wiper fluid, AC pressure checks, exc?

Oh, and apparently the Tesla S does require transmission oil.

On the Bolt, the maintenance schedule is attached.  The schedule is for routine maintenance.  Things like odd noises and brake problems are outside the schedule.  Considering the dynamic braking, both automatic and manual from the steering wheel mounted paddle switch, I suspect brake life should be pretty good.

The section on Batteries (page 2) is laughable - it reads like it was a copy and paste from a regular auto.

For scheduled maintenance, you will note that tire rotation is every 7,500 miles and environmental air filter replacement is every 15,000 miles.  The first important scheduled maintenance is at 150,000 miles and consists of a coolant change.  At the end of the 3 year term, we might be ready for the first environmental air filter replacement.  We won't be anywhere near 150,000 miles!

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT%20EV/Maintenance%20Schedule.pdf

I haven't checked the tires to see if they are of different diameters, front to rear, as they are on the Spark EV.  Wouldn't that be a hoot?  I'm not a big believer in tire rotation in any event.  I usually move the fronts to the rear and replace the fronts - when it's time.  I would far rather lose a rear tire than a front,  especially on a front wheel drive car.

ETA:  This maintenance schedule must be a nightmare for dealers.  They make most of their profit in the Service Department.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:23:10 pm by rstofer »

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf