Author Topic: Probably not the most cost effective way of getting components for projects  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Red SquirrelTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Someone did an oopsies there.  Not only did they try to reflow the solder but looks like the components flowed to the table.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Even the hinge fell off. That board is unhinged.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:03:40 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Even the hinge fell off. That board is unhinged.

I lost mine years ago. |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Looks like most of the other BGAs and SMDs stayed, but the main GPU along with a bunch of TH parts came off. I'd expect TH parts to be less likely to drop off, but I guess there's a size/weight/pins ratio difference?

Offline janekm

• Supporter
Looks like most of the other BGAs and SMDs stayed, but the main GPU along with a bunch of TH parts came off. I'd expect TH parts to be less likely to drop off, but I guess there's a size/weight/pins ratio difference?

Yes indeed. It's fairly common practice to put PCBs through reflow a second time with lower-weight components flipped to the bottom while soldering the top-mounted components. Works fine for light components like decoupling capacitors (hence why you will often see boards with only light-weight components on the back).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf