Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 132079 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: products you hate
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »
Maybe it's just a 1st World problem, but EVERY DAY I have to get out of my house with these items:

- Cash
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Identity card
- Driving license
- Company RFID
- Smartphone
- Company phone
- House keys
- Car keys

If you lose just one of these items, that's a PITA.
I am genuinely in favour of a single underskin chip that can substitute all of these. Privacy you say? Well, everyone knows where I go and what I do anyway, so... Who is joining the revolution?  >:D

I dunno - in my case, the first six fit in my wallet (and #s 4 and 5 are one and the same), and the final two are on a single ring.  That reduces the number of things to physically carry to four.  While I agree that losing any of them is a royal PITA, I'm not ready to be chipped, thank you very please.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2016, 06:32:04 pm »
no, it wasn't like that. everybody inside already knew, but they admitted nothing until they were forced to.

If so, you should probably refer them to the prosecutors' office for committing such a vast conspiracy, :)

Italy government is failing to hold those guys to its laws. That's no good.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2016, 07:34:02 pm »
One other things that makes me super mad.
This is going to be weird for our AUS/NZ/USA friends, but in most countries in Europe (especially in Belgium, France and mostly in the Netherlands) you have to pay for water when going our for dinner (or at a bar/cafe/coffee shop).
If you ask for tap water, they won't give it to you.

It is stinginess and rudeness over the top.
Water is so cheap here that most people don't even bother looking at their monthly bills for it.
Walk into the restaurant, ask for a table and if they make you pay for tap water tell them you're leaving.

I can't say I've ever experienced this myself. Here in the UK I've never been refused tap water but when I'm abroad, I'm on holiday and have ever asked for tap water because I don't count the pennies so much.
In the UK anywhere that serves alcohol is required by law to provide free drinking water as a condition of their alcohol license:
"The remaining mandatory conditions are set out in the Licensing Act 2003 (Mandatory Licensing Conditions) (Amendment) Order 2014... mandatory provision of free potable (drinking) water"

That could even mean free bottled water if you're somewhere that doesn't have tap water and they can't otherwise supply potable water. Other places don't have to but most will if you specifically ask for it.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2016, 08:08:28 pm »
Well, that is exactly the reason why a lot of people like to have a glass of water.
A lot of Dutch & Belgium beers are pretty strong (like >7-8%) plus the general culture is that it's more about having a nice time (with family) than just getting drunk.
(I got a sense that's very different in some ex-British countries/colonies)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2016, 08:32:58 pm »
One other things that makes me super mad.
This is going to be weird for our AUS/NZ/USA friends, but in most countries in Europe (especially in Belgium, France and mostly in the Netherlands) you have to pay for water when going our for dinner (or at a bar/cafe/coffee shop).
If you ask for tap water, they won't give it to you.

It is stinginess and rudeness over the top.
Water is so cheap here that most people don't even bother looking at their monthly bills for it.
Walk into the restaurant, ask for a table and if they make you pay for tap water tell them you're leaving.

I can't say I've ever experienced this myself. Here in the UK I've never been refused tap water but when I'm abroad, I'm on holiday and have ever asked for tap water because I don't count the pennies so much.
In the UK anywhere that serves alcohol is required by law to provide free drinking water as a condition of their alcohol license:
"The remaining mandatory conditions are set out in the Licensing Act 2003 (Mandatory Licensing Conditions) (Amendment) Order 2014... mandatory provision of free potable (drinking) water"

That could even mean free bottled water if you're somewhere that doesn't have tap water and they can't otherwise supply potable water. Other places don't have to but most will if you specifically ask for it.
Thanks for making me aware of that.

I had a feeling it was a legal requirement but wasn't sure. I've always known they have to give free tap water at night clubs but didn't know it applies to restaurants too; licensing rules vary, depending on whether food is served or not and the time of day.

Well, that is exactly the reason why a lot of people like to have a glass of water.
A lot of Dutch & Belgium beers are pretty strong (like >7-8%) plus the general culture is that it's more about having a nice time (with family) than just getting drunk.
(I got a sense that's very different in some ex-British countries/colonies)
Personally I don't drink alcohol (I'm not the only one I know, so much for the British stereotype?) and the food is often salty, spicy or dry and I need something to drink with it that isn't sweet, so I like to have water.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2016, 09:09:56 pm »
Personally I don't drink alcohol (I'm not the only one I know, so much for the British stereotype?)

You do know that stereotyping is a statistical concept?

so that exceptions, or even a large number of exceptions, may not invalidate it.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2016, 09:26:07 pm »
Personally I don't drink alcohol (I'm not the only one I know, so much for the British stereotype?)

You do know that stereotyping is a statistical concept?

so that exceptions, or even a large number of exceptions, may not invalidate it.
There's a stereotype that all Americans are arrogant jerks who think they're better than everyone else in the world.

Do you think that's true?

I've not met that many Americans so wouldn't know. Going from this forum it doesn't seem to be true but there are some people here who are like that.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2016, 09:29:03 pm »
How about being charged $2 for a cup of tap water in 1993 dollars and not being allowed to bring your own water, on a 38 deg C day with all the drinking water taps turned off?
http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/appetite-for-an-arena/2007/04/04/1175366329656.html
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/06/14/1181414418094.html

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:27 pm »
Ribbon GUI.  :rant:

THIS! 

Or pretty much any of MS's recent GUI changes. 

Offline sca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2016, 11:25:25 pm »
Tapabloodytalk.

Just started nagging again after a few weeks off.

sca

Offline zl2wrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2016, 12:20:16 am »
How about being charged $2 for a cup of tap water in 1993 dollars and not being allowed to bring your own water, on a 38 deg C day with all the drinking water taps turned off?
http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/appetite-for-an-arena/2007/04/04/1175366329656.html
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/06/14/1181414418094.html

If that's how they treat their customers, they don't deserve to have customers!

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:25 am »
no, it wasn't like that. everybody inside already knew, but they admitted nothing until they were forced to.

If so, you should probably refer them to the prosecutors' office for committing such a vast conspiracy, :)

Italy government is failing to hold those guys to its laws. That's no good.
Quite the opposite, In reality If there's something I've learned in Italy is that you should NEVER mess up with the Law or the authorities, in any case, never, ever: they are right you are not, and if they think you do something bad they will make you pay for it, even if it's not fair. End of the story.They are waiting for that because they will have more money on the next salary... The "law" exist only for you, but for those who have a good bank account or for those who have knowledge on the high floors or for those who can attract media attention... In these cases things change quite drastically: you can do pretty much you want, you will be prosecuted for the crime? yes, maybe when you are dead, or maybe they find someone else to make guilty...

I've came up with the conclusion that if:
1. nobody knows
2. you have a good bank account
3. it won't make any noise or draw much attention
you can do that, regardless if it's legal or not.

And I tell you what: pepole are pissed off about this, but nobody changes things because it's good for everyone...

Also, it's better if we stop trying to politicize the thread, otherwise the admins will block it.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2016, 09:57:23 am »
Also, it's better if we stop trying to politicize the thread, otherwise the admins will block it.
:-+

I also hate celery.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Offline Nozzer

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:13 am »
I thought someone just established that you have to get out of your house to see how shitty it is, figuratively speaking. for example, it took the EBA to see that MPS, the world's oldest bank, needs some serious capital infusion.

no, it wasn't like that. everybody inside already knew, but they admitted nothing until they were forced to. In local banks there is much more serious shit going down (veneto banca, i don't know if they talk about it abroad)

The BBC did a report on them a few weeks ago and said that the bank has been having liquidity problems requiring government assistance for many years. When bankers recklessly gamble other people's money and create liquidity crises, taxpayers tend to bail them out, certainly in Britain, but when any other industry less prone to gambling, there's no money. The problem is that bankers have got used to the idea that the taxpayer will bail them out, thereby encouraging wreck less behaviour. Over here the Confederation of British Industry is already lobbying government to minimise the limited post-2008 crash regulations and the minimum liquidity requirement, and telling government and the taxpayer to be less critical of bankers, who seem to be very thin skinned when they are being criticised, rather than criticising others! Reminds me of right wing Christians, come to think of it.... ::)

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2016, 12:39:47 am »
I like to see prices of petrol as high as possible, as (in my opinion), a lot of petrol purchasers are just as gullible as Apple purchasers and will pay practically anything  ;D. However, I don't think it has much impact on the environment/traffic. It certainly doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent here in England.

No thanks. In Australia, certainly around Sydney, a lot of people have no other option but to drive to/from work. For me, I travel 50-60 minutes each way to work. My only other option is train which would blow by daily commute to over 4 hours.

It is best to live in the suburb you work in. That is why most electronics companies are here in the middle south eastern suburbs of Melbourne. A bad day for me is 15 minutes commute time. A good day is 7 minutes during peak hour. I drove home in 5 minutes last night with 60 seconds left for the ABC news at 7pm. I uses one tank of petrol per month in my Civic, so petrol prices do not interest me much.

The record lowest travel time to work for me was one second. I literally jumped the back fence from my home and was at IBM. That was luxury. And in those days we only worked 7.5 hours per day with a day off per month if we worked 8 hours per day for 15 days. Those days of short hours are long gone!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2016, 02:25:30 am »
:-+

I also hate celery.

Lima beans.  I hate lima beans.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2016, 03:31:12 am »
I like to see prices of petrol as high as possible, as (in my opinion), a lot of petrol purchasers are just as gullible as Apple purchasers and will pay practically anything  ;D. However, I don't think it has much impact on the environment/traffic. It certainly doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent here in England.

No thanks. In Australia, certainly around Sydney, a lot of people have no other option but to drive to/from work. For me, I travel 50-60 minutes each way to work. My only other option is train which would blow by daily commute to over 4 hours.

It is best to live in the suburb you work in. That is why most electronics companies are here in the middle south eastern suburbs of Melbourne. A bad day for me is 15 minutes commute time. A good day is 7 minutes during peak hour. I drove home in 5 minutes last night with 60 seconds left for the ABC news at 7pm. I uses one tank of petrol per month in my Civic, so petrol prices do not interest me much.

You are one of the lucky few. In Sydney, if you travel <=1 hour door-to-door each way, you're doing quite well. I take them M4 to and from work which I have to say is one of best motorways in terms of average speed and congestion. On an average day, it would take me about 50 minutes to travel the 60 kilometres to work.

I used to frequently travel the Hume Motorway and M5 which has got to be one of the worst roads. Once you get anywhere near King Georges Road or the M5 East Tunnel, you're basically at walking pace for the next 45 minutes. It boggles the mind how Governments think when it comes to infrastructure these days. Back in 1932 (during the Great Depression) when the Sydney Harbour Bridge first opened, it handled 4 traffic lanes (now it has doubled to 8 road lanes and 2 railway tracks). Yet they still seem to think that building a major motorway and tunnel leading to/from the Sydney CBD and only international airport in NSW needs 2 lanes in either direction. How does that make any economic sense?!?

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2016, 10:28:39 am »
Another thing I hate. Bad traffic situations.
And instead of really figuring out what's going on, or being open and see how other dense cities/countries are doing, people just leave it and complain (even if the situation is dangerous) or indeed just build another lane.
Which a lot of times still doesn't really work, because the core problem hasn't been solved.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:09 am »
Brussel Sprouts !
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2016, 11:55:20 am »
I used to hate Brussel sprouts as a kid, now I love them.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2016, 12:09:32 pm »
Re Brussel Sprouts I think you have to have a good source and have a good way of cooking them, mostly they have been terrible for me but I have had some good ones in my time. Recently re tried them and it was not good. But I do like broccoli now.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »
I love (Brussel) sprouts!
Only thing I don't get is why they're called Brussel sprouts.
There are beautiful Dutch and German sprouds as well.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2016, 12:45:51 am »
I 'hate' the chipped credit cards. More tedious operation with no significant benefit to me.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2016, 01:35:02 am »
The benefit is to the bank. They disclaim liability for fraud with EMV smartcards.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2016, 11:38:54 am »
I have been to BE many many times (family even has a holiday house in the Ardennes) and I never encountered any health issues by drinking tap water.
I think it can vary within BE. Right now what comes out the tap at home, is undrinkable. Makes limescale over anything after a day, there are tiny particles of bullshit floating in it, it is "puddly". Of course dont get outright sick, like in many east europe or balkan countries. Sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive, it really does happen.
I live in the developed part of Belgium, nothing wrong with the tap water here.

... I moved within the EU, using my rights and my passport, and I am here as an expat. Comparing me to those people is an insult. But then again you are only here to troll people. So yeah, congratulations, now, go away already.
Expats... I hate them all for being wannabe-establishment-liberals, behaving like a parasite, making every place shit and then go steal somewhere else when everything is sucked empty.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:43:25 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf