Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 132080 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: products you hate
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2016, 11:48:45 am »
Brussel Sprouts !
I love (Brussel) sprouts!
Only thing I don't get is why they're called Brussel sprouts...

Nobody calls them that way here. that term is propably invented by some expat that landed on Brussels Airport that isn't located in Brussels.
Brussels has no sprouts, and no airport.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:21:23 pm by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »

Tapabloodytalk.

Just started nagging again after a few weeks off.

sca

+1

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2016, 09:18:07 am »
Expats... I hate them all for being wannabe-establishment-liberals, behaving like a parasite, making every place shit and then go steal somewhere else when everything is sucked empty.
#sarcasm

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2016, 11:22:59 am »
Personally I don't drink alcohol (I'm not the only one I know, so much for the British stereotype?)

You do know that stereotyping is a statistical concept?

so that exceptions, or even a large number of exceptions, may not invalidate it.

Bollocks !!

The following users thanked this post: Zero999

Offline arturtiagopaiva.

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2016, 11:42:24 am »
I'm surprised to see so much hate for printers. Never had much trouble with them myself. I see other people having trouble, but it is usually down to lack of understanding of how to use them.

I always found the idea of printing, and the machines used for printing to be quite fascinating :).

I do rather dislike touch screens.
Opoo
I'm surprised to see so much hate for printers. Never had much trouble with them myself. I see other people having trouble, but it is usually down to lack of understanding of how to use them.

I always found the idea of printing, and the machines used for printing to be quite fascinating :).

I do rather dislike touch screens.

Enviado do meu VF-696 através de Tapatalk

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2016, 12:52:40 pm »
I hate those TV shows where the camera is continually shaking around, supposedly to given an informal look-in effect or some other ridiculous thing. This is so unbelievably distracting that I just refuse to watch. I also refuse to watch the example TV show linked below but that's another matter.

Example -> https://youtu.be/QGZahivzvIg

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »
Televisions...  :(

I don't know why people find TV series fascinating (I still have to understand that...). I feel uneasy to see all the crap that's on TV anyway.Not to mention that there is a continuous battle between me and my parents at dinner time: they want to watch it, I don't!.  Actually, I forgot to mention it at the very beginning of the thread. 

In my opinion televisions are good only to be salvaged in order to make a lightboxes for inspecting diy pcb traces. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:14:17 pm by R005T3r »

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2016, 07:58:39 pm »
TV and media is good to brainwash people.
Even news (channels) is very heavily biased these days  :--

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2016, 09:42:02 pm »
Bacon with lots of added water. It's so annoying, having to cook it for longer to drive off all the moisture.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2016, 04:55:58 am »
These days, having so many channels, DVRs, streaming services and the internet, we are much more in control of what we watch.

Yes, the media is very biased, but bias is easy to detect for the trained eye and ear, so you can just factor it in with all the other political forces.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2016, 04:58:43 am »
I hate it when a service or a product has deficiencies 'for my own benefit'.

I hate it when 'we are opened on Saturday' actually means 'we are closed on Sunday'.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2016, 05:59:49 am »
Smart arse cars. Manufacturers build so much electronic bling into them, it takes five minutes to shut the thing up so you can go for a drive.

I want a car that has a switch with two positions:

1. I know how to drive (examples: that's a backpack on the passenger seat, yes I know the lights are on and the door is open, yes I know my safety belt is off I'm only backing           down the driveway, that's a trailer on the rear not an obstacle, etc, etc)
2. I'm a dumb-ass (warn me about all the examples above and more)
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2016, 07:21:59 am »
Verify by Visa.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2016, 07:52:36 am »
@aargee, do you have a Ford?

Offline forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2016, 07:56:12 am »
I bet $500 there's a particular category of products you hate... No matter what, if you use them you are simply outraged after 2 minutes...

In my case:
1. networking stuff (if something don't work it has the power to outrage me)
2. batteries (batteries discharges mostly during: weekends and festivity days so you can't buy them, it's not the first time I use my power supply instead of them to power  up things)
3. glass items (they break too easily and when they breaks they cut you)
4. cars (cars never attracted me)
5. Televisions (the content is sick).

For me:

1.  Printers.  Copiers.   Etc.   - pretty much anything with either a paper path which paper can jam in or something which toner can explode from.     Especially if I'm the one which has to keep them working.
2.  Thankfully extinct:   Tape backups for computers.   Always a pain to keep working.  And restore from in a failure.

I have a lot of others, but both of those have seen lots of swearing from me.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2016, 11:22:55 am »
These days, having so many channels, DVRs, streaming services and the internet, we are much more in control of what we watch.

Yes, the media is very biased, but bias is easy to detect for the trained eye and ear, so you can just factor it in with all the other political forces.
I am not worried about the trained eyes and ears. Those people are smart enough to see through all the BS.
I am more worried about the less educated people, which is the majorty.

Another thing I hate (in line with above), is "smart" products in general. They never ever work and are only a massive pain in the *ss

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2016, 03:08:57 pm »
I 'hate' the chipped credit cards. More tedious operation with no significant benefit to me.

At least this is one product mis-feature that is easily fixed. Place the credit card on a hard surface, like a block of steel. Place end of 3 to 5 mm dia pin punch on the card exactly where embedded the chip is. Give pin punch a sharp tap with a hammer.
The result is no visible damage, but no more chip in card. I de-chip my card every time they send me a new one. The mag stripe still works, and at least there's no way someone can suck RF-suck money from my account from a few feet away, like can be done with the RF chips.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2016, 03:18:26 pm »
surface mount , PWM

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
I 'hate' the chipped credit cards. More tedious operation with no significant benefit to me.

At least this is one product mis-feature that is easily fixed. Place the credit card on a hard surface, like a block of steel. Place end of 3 to 5 mm dia pin punch on the card exactly where embedded the chip is. Give pin punch a sharp tap with a hammer.
The result is no visible damage, but no more chip in card. I de-chip my card every time they send me a new one. The mag stripe still works, and at least there's no way someone can suck RF-suck money from my account from a few feet away, like can be done with the RF chips.

From my experience, if I try to swipe my chipped card (which also has a magnetic strip) in a chip capable terminal, it doesn't accept it and tell me to use the chip slot instead.

The main annoyance is the need to leave the card and wait until the transaction is completed. With the magnetic terminal I just swipe it, put the card back in my wallet, and let the system complete the transaction using the information it acquired from the card.  From my perspective it's a regression.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2016, 04:52:36 pm »
Wireless credit cards are not that common yet in the US, we're still getting the hang of contact smartcards.
Some banks that operate internationally have issued them to US customers.

It's very easy to disable the RF antenna, it's only a mm or so beneath the top surface and runs around the circumference of the card (easy to see using a strong backlight, X-rays are useful but not required). A very shallow cut with a scalpel anywhere near the edge will sever the antenna.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2016, 04:59:24 pm »
Smart arse cars. Manufacturers build so much electronic bling into them, it takes five minutes to shut the thing up so you can go for a drive.

I want a car that has a switch with two positions:

1. I know how to drive (examples: that's a backpack on the passenger seat, yes I know the lights are on and the door is open, yes I know my safety belt is off I'm only backing           down the driveway, that's a trailer on the rear not an obstacle, etc, etc)
2. I'm a dumb-ass (warn me about all the examples above and more)
@aargee, do you have a Ford?

Ford you say? I think he needs a:

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »
Literally anything Microsoft has ever let loose from hell or wherever it comes from.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »
Ford is known to have all the luxuries on paper, but lacking the fine details that make it a "perfect" car. Enough little annoying things that make you hate the car.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2016, 01:24:00 am »
DVD region codes.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2016, 09:38:46 am »
DVD region codes.
Any kind of compact dics/dvd/blue ray.