Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 131898 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: products you hate
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2016, 04:26:43 pm »
Sounds strange may be, the current modern web browser, either in desktop/cell phone/tablet, yeah, not a typo.

I wish there is a "paid" one.

Offline Totalsolutions

• Contributor
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2016, 06:44:19 pm »
Coat hangars, why are they all different .....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Paul

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2016, 07:58:59 pm »
Stuff for sale at say $199.99
Just say $200 and get on with it!

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »
Coat hangars, why are they all different ....

Some are for woman dresses

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2016, 02:33:35 am »
iOS 9 & 10 alarm. Maybe earlier versions too.
Doesn't allow setting the alarm more than 24 hours ahead.
To set or clear a week's worth of alarms takes at least 6 days.  :-- :palm:

Alarms are actually a piece of cake with Siri. I never use the regular UI.

"Clear all my alarms" will delete them all at once.

You can use a reminder instead of an alarm if yo need it more than 24 hrs in the future, but it would be nice to be able to use a regular alarm in that case...

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2016, 11:52:35 am »
While we're on this, android alarms. They don't always go off.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2016, 06:25:59 am »

Even worse is gasoline prices, WTF is 9/10 cents? :(

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2016, 09:50:39 pm »

Right. But there's a good explanation about it: the product has a better visibility overall, because it shows it's 9 and not 10 and for some costumers may play a difference...

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2016, 09:55:19 pm »

Even worse is gasoline prices, WTF is 9/10 cents? :(

The worst thing is that gasoline is not expansive at all compared to inkjet printer ink! Even the cheap ones they are about $1 for 100 ml, so it's $10 for 1L.
I'm so glad I stopped using printers and reduced the paper usage.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2016, 10:06:51 pm »
Subarus and the little shits that drive them

Why do you hate Subarus? They make some nice cars (like the WRX STI, which seems like a really fun car to drive)

BTW, I don't have one nor I have ever driven one, but if I had the $$$, a Subaru WRX STI would defintely be on my wish list.

Every time we go to WV we get stuck behind those.  They are doing 35mph up the mountains with the engine buzzing at 6000rpm.  My v8 is getting better gas mileage because its running 1500 rpm while stuck behind them.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2016, 11:32:20 pm »

To add to that.  I hate the fact that it's standard for taxes and other extra fees to be added after.  To me, all that should be part of the price.  The price I see on the shelf should be the price I pay.  Then the taxes, environmental fees and all that other crap can be broken down on the bill.    It would actually be easier for the business too, if handling cash you can deal with round numbers.  Instead of charging $99.99 for something + tax then it ends up some weird number, charge $115.00.  The system could then figure out the taxes from there. 

Or how about ISPs that advertise a price and in tiny print it says "for first 6 months" and fail to even show the real price.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2016, 02:48:08 am »
some more from me   
:advertising on pay or cable TV. so what are you paying for?
:movies that ARE the movie trailer . your supposed to pay to see all the boring stuff.
:postage and handling sold like its an added extra.
:insurance that will not insure a payout when you need it.
:special offers that are not special.
:electricity bills that look like a bit of computer language, explain this to the non-technically minded.
:no voltage tolerance on the label? what tolerance? the tolerance of chinese AC appliances. 220V to 230V or is it 220V to 250V
:software update obsolete game. as software never wears out in the same hardware.
 |O
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline MaximRecoil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2016, 04:38:03 am »
- Digital displays (in terms of image characteristics, they are a downgrade from the CRT technology that they replaced)
- Touch-screen displays
- Movies shot on video and/or shown in a theater on a digital projector
- Cell phones
- Lead-free solder
- 3D video games
- Wireless video game controllers
- Unleaded gas
- Smith & Wesson revolvers with "lawyer locks"
- Most any car designed after 1970 (they've looked progressively worse every year since then)
- Plastic and rubber automatic drip coffee makers
- TTL logic chips
- ROM burners that won't burn pi-polar PROMs and 2K/4K ROMs
- "Cloud" software that has no option to own (I'm looking at you, Adobe)
- All versions of Microsoft Windows newer than XP
- Inkjet cartridges
- Fake leather
- Die-cast zinc
- Digital watches
- Alkaline batteries
- Plastic utensils
- Quad-fold game boards
- Hollow plastic chess pieces
- Pepsi

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2016, 05:12:19 am »

To add to that.  I hate the fact that it's standard for taxes and other extra fees to be added after.  To me, all that should be part of the price.  The price I see on the shelf should be the price I pay.  Then the taxes, environmental fees and all that other crap can be broken down on the bill.    It would actually be easier for the business too, if handling cash you can deal with round numbers.  Instead of charging $99.99 for something + tax then it ends up some weird number, charge $115.00.  The system could then figure out the taxes from there. 

Or how about ISPs that advertise a price and in tiny print it says "for first 6 months" and fail to even show the real price.

Good thing here is that all adverts have to put the final price, not the price excl VAT. That is only there for B2B advertising, where you can claim the VAT back as a purchase. Also nice is all vehicle adverts that include financing have to include in the advert the deposit, instalment, instalment insurance, the period, any balloon or guaranteed buyback, and the cash price and all the finance charges plus the total cost of the vehicle plus instalments over the payback period. Makes you think a few times now before buying a new vehicle, looking at that total amount.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2016, 08:57:37 pm »
- Digital displays (in terms of image characteristics, they are a downgrade from the CRT technology that they replaced)
- Touch-screen displays
- Cell phones
- Lead-free solder
- 3D video games
- Unleaded gas
- Most any car designed after 1970 (they've looked progressively worse every year since then)
- TTL logic chips
- Inkjet cartridges
- Fake leather
- Die-cast zinc
- Digital watches
- Alkaline batteries
- Plastic utensils
- Quad-fold game boards
- Pepsi
I bet you are over 30 years old
around 50 my guess?

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2016, 10:24:55 pm »
- Touch-screen displays
- Cell phones
- Lead-free solder
- 3D video games
- Unleaded gas
- TTL logic chips
- Inkjet cartridges
- Fake leather
- Die-cast zinc
- Digital watches
- Alkaline batteries
- Plastic utensils
- Quad-fold game boards
- Pepsi

That's kind of a "I hate new technology list", but I there's a lot I don't like much as well.  Definitely agree with the one about WinXP.  I'm really bummed they made it obsolete.  It was the best product Microsoft ever made.  Had zero complaints with WinXP, but now I'm using Win7 and I have a lot of complaints with it.  To mention a few they screwed up Windows Explorer (which I use heavily) and the control panel is a confusing hodgepodge of different panels.  Then there's no file search utility built-in.  They removed Outlook Express (which I liked a lot) leaving no email client.  When they obsolete Win7 that may be the end of Windows for me.  But then what are my options, don't care much for touchscreens which are really impractical to use at my desk/workbench where I use a computer the most.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2016, 10:30:22 pm »
- Fake leather

What do you hate about fake leather?
I can totally understand hating incorrect labeling, when it's not clear on the label what type of leather/non-leather was used. But that's a labeling hate not a fake leather hate.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:34:18 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2016, 11:15:32 pm »
The products I hate the most are those that take advantage of desperate people so mainly snake oil cure alls. I recognize that when in situations you can be desperate enough to try anything, but taking advantage of someone who has little time to live, it just bothers me.
Gone for good

Offline Artlav

• Frequent Contributor
    • Orbital Designs
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2016, 12:08:44 am »
When they obsolete Win7 that may be the end of Windows for me.  But then what are my options, don't care much for touchscreens which are really impractical to use at my desk/workbench where I use a computer the most.
Interesting.
I noticed i don't see much usability difference between WinXP and Win7, but that's mostly because i used third-party software for most basic functions since forever, so the decay of the included features goes by unnoticed. I also tend to tweak stuff and flush the crap, so the new annoy-features also go down the drain unnoticed.
Never the less, Win7 was the last Windows i used before abandoning that ship.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2016, 03:49:33 am »
 You know you can change the way the items are presented in Control Panel, right? First thing I do on any install of newer Windows is change the control panel to large icons and get rid of the stupid categories. It's right up in the top right, it's not even a hidden setting.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2016, 09:31:06 am »

SNIP

That's kind of a "I hate new technology list", but I there's a lot I don't like much as well.  Definitely agree with the one about WinXP.  I'm really bummed they made it obsolete.  It was the best product Microsoft ever made.  Had zero complaints with WinXP, but now I'm using Win7 and I have a lot of complaints with it.  To mention a few they screwed up Windows Explorer (which I use heavily) and the control panel is a confusing hodgepodge of different panels.  Then there's no file search utility built-in.  They removed Outlook Express (which I liked a lot) leaving no email client.  When they obsolete Win7 that may be the end of Windows for me.  But then what are my options, don't care much for touchscreens which are really impractical to use at my desk/workbench where I use a computer the most.

XP was a shiny turd till at least SP2, and was pretty much going to be a guess if any update would stop assorted systems from working correctly every update, especially for the more esoteric hardware configurations. Remember it was only after SP1 that M$ turned on the firewall by default, until then you had the entire OS and shares exposed, as typically when XP came out there were still a large number of dial up connections with a public IP on the computer and no firewall by default on the syatem, and open ports that would respond to contact. Patch of the week, and often a few per day, that all needed a restart after installation.

Only after it had been bashed around for a decade sis a lot of those flaws become evident and most were repaired, though a lot of that "all new code" in XP was inherited from NT and Win95/98.

However, XP was a big improvement over the pile of elephant droppings that was ME.

However, those nice hologram disks that the retail version of Win98 came out on are nice, I should have kept some of the dozens of unopened packs ( less the COA sticker) I tossed out or gave away as coasters.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
Even with SP2 XP was still a turd compared to windows 2000.

Though its hard to hate it since its what drove me to linux so I have to give it credit for doing one thing right.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: November 28, 2016, 08:01:40 am »
WinXP is great. There are no annoying updates anymore.
I never used Win firewall. I always installed Kerio.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #248 on: November 28, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »
WinXP is great. There are no annoying updates anymore.
I never used Win firewall. I always installed Kerio.
Instead. Software now installs itself, from your browser or emails!  :-+ And to top it, it is remotely managed!
Sometimes it even secures you files. What else do you need?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: November 28, 2016, 01:30:09 pm »
Headpnone earpads, the material disintegrates leaving peaces of black junk on your ears and face. Just ran into it again and ordered a pair of velour pads as replecements, will see how long they will last.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf