Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 132021 times)

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
products you hate
« on: August 30, 2016, 04:27:43 pm »
I bet $500 there's a particular category of products you hate... No matter what, if you use them you are simply outraged after 2 minutes...

In my case:
1. networking stuff (if something don't work it has the power to outrage me)
2. batteries (batteries discharges mostly during: weekends and festivity days so you can't buy them, it's not the first time I use my power supply instead of them to power  up things)
3. glass items (they break too easily and when they breaks they cut you)
4. cars (cars never attracted me)
5. Televisions (the content is sick).

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:07:59 pm by R005T3r »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: products you hate
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:35:22 pm »
I dislike:

- Smoking products  (been hit with assholes flicking butts out of vehicle windows more than once while riding my bike)   :rant:
 - Chewing tobacco

Most other crappy stuff I can easily avoid or ignore.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:52 pm »
-those little oil sticks that are super useful untill you get it below a quarter full then they burst when you squeeze them and splatter everwhere >:( (can somone please make a non-exploding oil stick)
-NON-CONICAL TIPS >:D #rebel #POINTYPOWER
-CFLs, they look stupid, buzz, and go bang/smoke after a while
-ditto with cigarettes, I'm allergic to them, makes me feel really sick being around a smoker
-desoldering braid, I don't have the "magic touch"
-Crapple (Apple, because they refuse to make better electronics)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 05:06:23 pm »
Iron(III)chloride... Boy... Those were the times, those were the stains...  :-DD
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:39 pm »
- Anything to do with fixing PCs especially when it involves Windows

- Mobile phones. Mine never work when I need them so I always borrow somebody else's  >:D

- In general: Cheap crap which doesn't work

- Anything my wife buys without my consent (maybe just so we can have a conversation)

- Air fresheners because they smell like old socks
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline dferyance

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:59 pm »
Anything that is cloud-only that doesn't have to be. For example fitbit where I cannot run my own data logging server. Plenty of wifi cameras like that now too.

I also hate Apple things. Quite unfortunate as they have a lot of smart people and have done some good things but they always manage to come up with a way of making the products rubbish anyway.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 06:27:55 pm »
Anything from Microsoft.
Windows XP was okay. Windows 7 is tolerable once you get it set up the way you like.

Steam.
Annoying intrusive crap. Even when put in "offline" mode, it's not.

YouTube.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 06:36:56 pm »
The only things I hate are non-technical. Paperwork, clothing, chores, some people >:D ... Anything technical I like and can usually always deal with.
And yes, tobacco. Nasty smelly stuff.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:38:31 pm by Kilrah »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »
Task manager is quite effective on steam. Or perhaps you need a program condensor... ;D

Some air freshener smells are aweful and chemical smelling, like coconut or "beach" or that one that smells like rotten candy.

Technical stuff can piss me off too. My tablet keeps lagging randomly and my computers wifi likes to cut out then it forgets it even has wifi and I have to searcn for "new" hardware while tapping it hard.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:38:26 pm »
Task manager is quite effective on steam. Or perhaps you need a program condensor... ;D

Steam is not much of a problem when it's not running. The problem is when you start it in "offline" mode and it still keeps communicating with the Valve servers with multiple instances of it's "webhelper" running in the background. Apparently the Windows 7 firewall will do nothing to stop it, being more for keeping stuff out - not in. ZoneAlarm works though.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 08:23:39 pm »
- Printers. Since I hate them, I don't own any. It saves me a lot of time not owning any. :D
- Smartphones - questionable. I don't own any and no problem.
- Yes, tobbaco. A very bad thing about czech people - they smoke A LOT. Everywhere.

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 08:53:21 pm »
Fake semiconductors from China.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 08:57:50 pm »
Not really a category of product, but Subaru's (and the people who drive them).

There is just something about their design, regardless of the model, that I find very ugly. But I suppose the most annoying thing about Subaru's are the types of people who seem to be attracted to them, at least in Australia. Of course I'm generalising here but I find Subaru drivers more often than not fall into one of two categories.

1. The older person who loves to hog the right lane needlessly and drive 10 km/hr under the speed limit, seemingly oblivious to everyone else around them, or,

2. The moron who thinks they are driving a rally car because he has "all wheel drive" and has spent 'who knows' how much money lowering his "soccer mum car" to the point where it's rendered useless against speed humps and has basically removed any decent handling the car had to begin with. This category of driver also seem to love their fog lights, regardless of weather.

Exhibit A:

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 09:24:37 pm »
Exhibit A:

Check out the "camber" of those rear wheels... I had a classmate of mine do this to his car and the wear pattern always ruined his tires prematurely. Not to mention impossible to go over a curb without ripping a piece of fender off. If you are going to f&*k up your car, you should do it right!

Check out this poor Subaru:

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:25 pm »
Check out this poor Subaru:

:palm:

Yep, people with no brains. Tyres are designed to contact the road for a reason. Not only will that car handle like a bucket of shit at the best of times, good luck stopping with any sense of urgency, especially in the wet. All that aside, they'd been scrubbing out tyres like no tomorrow, their running costs must be astronomical. If anyone reading this now has a car like the one above, give yourself an uppercut and go get it fixed; you don't look cool, in fact you are broadcasting to the population that you're a dickhead.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:39:39 pm by Halcyon »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 10:01:12 pm »
Cheap gasoline. Increase the price 10x would significantly deter traffic.

And it is good for the environment too, :)
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 10:29:54 pm »
Has nothing to do with the gas prices, they are high as hell over here but that doesn't stop the show-pimpers. Only our mandatory and dreaded periodical MOT tests keeps the most dangerous creations off of public roads  ;D
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 10:40:08 pm »
That doesn't work. They have already tried that in the NL and traffic/number of cars keep increasing. After all people still need to get to work so in the end expensive fuel just increases inflation.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 10:45:34 pm »
4. Tektronics scopes -- can't find any other major branded scopes with such slow UI.

B.. B... But muh analog tek?

yeeeeah no.
tried that with alcohol, the mob thanks you
tried that with tobacco, the mob thanks you
try increasing gasoline price too much and you'll see alternative sources popping out magically.
That's what will always happen when prices of products people _NEED_ go too high or are prohibited for silly reasons

----

I dislike SUBARU's too. the ugliest cars men could ever conceive

i also hate BMW with all my guts. it is scientifically proven that the moment you get a BMW you become an assole at hte wheel, on par with white women on an SUV
* i was involved in a bad accident. motorcycle driver that didn't give a fuck he was surpassing me on an intersection and I was to turn left? BMW motorcycle.
I destroyed a tire because assole from the other side was hugging the road and i hade to jump on the sidewalk to avoid him? effing BMW. Don't worry he was speeding, he didn't care to check if i was okay.
Another time they tried to scam me with the "crushed side mirror"? asshole in a white BMW X4 *
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:54:05 pm by JPortici »

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 12:15:05 am »

And it is good for the environment too, :)

I like to see prices of petrol as high as possible, as (in my opinion), a lot of petrol purchasers are just as gullible as Apple purchasers and will pay practically anything  ;D. However, I don't think it has much impact on the environment/traffic. It certainly doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent here in England.

I remember a few years back, my grandfather was saying how high petrol costs didn't seem to be affecting the traffic much... whilst insisting on giving me an unnecessary lift 1.5 miles up the road.

As for products I hate; I'm tempted to say computers and related things. Not because they are bad as such, but because they have been taken up by people who don't have a clue how to use them, and its people like me who always get the blame when they 'don't work'.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 12:30:20 am »
I like to see prices of petrol as high as possible, as (in my opinion), a lot of petrol purchasers are just as gullible as Apple purchasers and will pay practically anything  ;D. However, I don't think it has much impact on the environment/traffic. It certainly doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent here in England.

No thanks. In Australia, certainly around Sydney, a lot of people have no other option but to drive to/from work. For me, I travel 50-60 minutes each way to work. My only other option is train which would blow by daily commute to over 4 hours.

Offline larrybl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 12:38:20 am »
Hmmm. Ok I'll bite
I dislike pluming repairs that involve a "Grey Shower" <-- Yup been there under the house on that one.
I dislike manually breaking tire beads. <-- Need a tire changer
I dislike working with wet concrete <-- Cost me plenty to fix.

Offline zl2wrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 01:06:02 am »
Were I live is 5 minutes walk from the centre of town and my work is right next to the regional airport, however, to get between the airport and town you must either use a car or a taxi as there is no public transport. (well, there is railway, with no passenger service, and a bus route, which it goes past the airport, but does not stop there! - have the taxi companies & rental car agencies got it sewn up for their benefit?)
So, every week, to get to & from work, I have to turn ~ 25 L of petrol into heat, noise and air pollution (along with contributing to peak traffic on our not fit for purpose roads) - this isn't exactly an enjoyable activity.

I work with high power electricity, and the most dangerous thing I do each day is the daily commute - the roading authority doesn't seem to have the same attitude regarding health and safety as my employer does (figure that one out?)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:07:56 am by zl2wrw »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 01:16:37 am »
Hmmm. Ok I'll bite
I dislike pluming repairs that involve a "Grey Shower" <-- Yup been there under the house on that one.
I dislike manually breaking tire beads. <-- Need a tire changer
I dislike working with wet concrete <-- Cost me plenty to fix.
Build yourself a slide hammer style bead breaker, build it well enough and there's not many you won't break.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 01:31:51 am »
Products I hate include

1. MS Windows. Thankfully I only have to use it on the machines in the classrooms where I teach.
2. Web content management systems that make it impossible to do simple edits to webpages.
3. Inkjet printers.
4. String Trimmers / weed eaters. Specifically the part that is supposed to advance the line. I never can get it to work right.
5. MS Word.  caveat: If I need to write a letter, I write it as a text file and then I'll paste it into word to print it.

Products I love:
apple computers, weller soldering iron, toyota prius, pg tips tea, new balance shoes, ti-84 graphing calculator, casio fx-115 scientific calculator, microkorg synthesizer, and dropbox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf