Author Topic: Projects/things to do with large PCB?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline TheBorgTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
Projects/things to do with large PCB?
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:46:05 am »
I've stockpiled some old and useless circuit boards in anticipation of getting my hot air rework station. Now that I have it, I've been practicing removing chips with it (so much fun!).
Anyways, one of the boards I have is fairly big, it's out of an old pentium/compaq box. It literally took up almost every square inch of side space in the casing. It's around 350x235mm in area! Just wondering if there is anything cool I could try doing with it once I'm done removing chips from the board.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:41:56 pm by TheBorg »
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Projects/things to do with huge PCB?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:04 am »
Coffee table!
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Projects/things to do with huge PCB?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:25 am »
Oh, be gentle, older board are simple to burn
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Projects/things to do with huge PCB?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:51:04 am »
Not exactly "huge"... that's only a little larger than a standard AT motherboard.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:54:48 am »
Biggest circuit board I ever saw was roughly 500mm x 800mm, hot swappable "printed wire board", that is, it was a basic double sided FR4 type board (power and ground), then each side had an 'epoxy' type layer covering it, with two layers of thin enameled wire embedded into the 'epoxy'(or whatever the compound was). This was back before micros came into general use, so all TTL, over 400 chips per board. The developers spent untold $millions designing these boards and building test and debugging logic into them so that faults could be diagnosed to chip level and several guys from oz were sent overseas and trained to repair them.
What eventually happened was that someone back in the US "repaired a card" so badly that it had to be scrapped. After that ALL cards had to be swapped out and faulty ones returned to the factory, that was the start of us becoming card jockeys.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:34:44 am »
If you solder the right components onto it you could turn it into a computer motherboard.  :)

Offline TheBorgTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:42:51 pm »
Coffee table!

Haha wayy too small to be a coffee table. I do have a collection of AT motherboards though, so this is a possibility.  :-+

Not exactly "huge"... that's only a little larger than a standard AT motherboard.

Agreed- I exaggerated a bit in the title. But it is quite a large board compared to anything "modern". I just found it odd as it was part of like a pentium III computer, I have boards from the Celeron era that are half the size  :-//

Biggest circuit board I ever saw was roughly 500mm x 800mm, hot swappable "printed wire board", that is, it was a basic double sided FR4 type board (power and ground), then each side had an 'epoxy' type layer covering it, with two layers of thin enameled wire embedded into the 'epoxy'(or whatever the compound was). This was back before micros came into general use, so all TTL, over 400 chips per board. The developers spent untold $millions designing these boards and building test and debugging logic into them so that faults could be diagnosed to chip level and several guys from oz were sent overseas and trained to repair them.
Dang! That thing is huge! Thats about four times the size of what I have  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:46:39 pm by TheBorg »
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf