Poll

How do you pronounce the word solder?

4 (16%)
11 (44%)
8 (32%)
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Pronunciation of the word solder  (Read 10826 times)

Offline Zero999Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Pronunciation of the word solder
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:05:09 pm »
This has been discussed before, but I don't remember anyone uploading any samples. This is me saying the word solder in four different ways. The American one is probably not very authentic, as accents aren't my strongest point. You may have difficulty in distinguishing between the UK variants, especially if you're not from the UK, so listen carefully.

There's no right or wrong way. For those who live or spent their formative years in South East England, if you can, please record yourself and listen back, before choosing an option. It's possible your accent is different to what you believe as #3 is stigmatised, so there may be a cognitive bias to select #2 or #4.

EDIT: None of this really matters as long as we can understand one another. This thread isn't supposed to be about language snobbery, but a bit of the usual banter is good to see.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:01:28 pm by Hero999 »

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
Re: Pronunciation of the word solder
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 09:40:23 pm »
Soldier. And the iron is referred to as a leftenant  ^-^

Really it is pronounced sodder. It melts using a sodding iron. The wick is known as sod off!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:45:48 pm by Wan Huang Luo »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 11:02:39 pm »
The correct pronunciation is "electronics glue".

The following users thanked this post: Barryg41

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 11:32:55 pm »
Correct pronunciation should make zero difference on this international forum as long as we can understand what is meant and help each other.  Those who agree can signify by not voting on this poll.
However soldering technique and safety are great topics for forum resources. 

The following users thanked this post: tooki, tpowell1830

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:48:23 am »
I just call it fun. Speaking of accents, I am from Texas so when I tell friends and family "I'm gonna go have some fun.", they know that I mean soldering electronics.  :-+
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:52:18 am by tpowell1830 »
PEACE===>T

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:11:51 am »
I pronounce it like the SE UK sample, but who cares? For the record, my normal accent is GA accent, with a tinge of Asian accent. Imagine Asian native English speakers.

I had a roommate when I was freshly graduated who happened to be a Jamaican Chinese fella.  When you hear a Jamaican accent come out of the mouth of a guy of obvious Chinese-extraction, that will give you pause.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:31 am »
I pronounce it like the SE UK sample, but who cares? For the record, my normal accent is GA accent, with a tinge of Asian accent. Imagine Asian native English speakers.

I had a roommate when I was freshly graduated who happened to be a Jamaican Chinese fella.  When you hear a Jamaican accent come out of the mouth of a guy of obvious Chinese-extraction, that will give you pause.

When I visited England, a couple places we went to get fish & chips were these little hole in the wall Asian restaurants. The British accent mixed with the Asian accent was a real strain my head to decipher. For some reason I have very little difficulty with most European accents but Asian/Indian I struggle to understand.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:23:46 am »
The mispronunciation of the word SoLder is part of the coloUrful variation and catalogUE of abuses hurled at the English language in written and spoken form by one of its former colonies.

Unlike we Australians who would never do a thing such as that  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 02:26:14 am »
Well I pronounce as "sodder" and I damn sure ain't gonna change it at this point.  >:(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:29 am »
For some reason I have very little difficulty with most European accents but Asian/Indian I struggle to understand.

After 4 years in US, I now have no problem talking with Indians.
And if you wonder, I'm surrounded by 45% Indians, 35% Chinese/Taiwanese/Malay/Singaporean, 10% Koreans/Japanese, 5% Americans and 5% Europeans.

Working with Indians I've gotten better at it but it's still a struggle. I always feel rude asking people to repeat themselves but there's not much I can do.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:54:02 am »
Are you gents in the US referring to Indians from India, or native Americans badged as indians?  :-//

Do either, neither or both pronounce it as sodder or soLder ?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:59:43 am by Electro Detective »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 03:03:28 am »
Well I pronounce as "sodder" and I damn sure ain't gonna change it at this point.  >:(

... and furthermore, GET OFF MY LAWN!    >:(

:-DD
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 03:05:18 am »

Wouldn't that be Sod of my Sods?  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 03:09:46 am »

LOL, and a sign banged into the lawn  :-*

"Trespassers criticizing/criticising pronunciation of SODDER, will be shot ! TWICE!!"

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:24:03 am by Electro Detective »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 03:55:03 am »
:rant:

LOL, and a sign banged into the lawn  :-*

"Trespassers criticizing/criticising pronunciation of SODDER, will be shot ! TWICE!!"

Yea!

And also - Close the front door! You want me to air condition the whole damn neighborhood!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830, Electro Detective

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 06:05:52 am »
I can hear my bitingly sarcastic grade 4 teacher, 'How many times young
(insert surname)  do I have to tell you there is an ' L' in solder, or do I have to prise your ears apart with a bread knife '
He was a hard nut, I think a drill sargent in a previous life. Never saw him hit anyone but he ruled that classroom!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 06:14:26 pm »
Closest to what you call "American", but your pronunciation sounds like "suh-DURRRR" with almost a San Fernando Valley ("Valspeak") accent.

After careful parsing of how I pronounce it, it seems I can best describe it as "SAh-der". I can even feel my tongue and the back of my throat form an ever so slight "l" that is unpronounced between the syllables. If I force the pronunciation of that "l", it becomes "SAl-der".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 06:45:53 pm »
Closest to what you call "American", but your pronunciation sounds like "suh-DURRRR" with almost a San Fernando Valley ("Valspeak") accent.
Yes, I didn't think my US accent was very good. I just Googled San Fernando Valley and I suppose it makes sense. I was probably emulating the accents on trashy US TV programmes, I used to watch as a teenager, when I was more receptive to accents.

After careful parsing of how I pronounce it, it seems I can best describe it as "SAh-der". I can even feel my tongue and the back of my throat form an ever so slight "l" that is unpronounced between the syllables. If I force the pronunciation of that "l", it becomes "SAl-der".
Interesting. I suppose everyone will pronounce the o slightly differently. There are too many to list, so I went with the two most common variants of o sold and soul and whether the l silent, like a w or clear.

I say #2, the boring old British received pronunciation.

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 06:56:19 pm »
Image result for salmon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 07:56:57 pm »
Image result for salmon
Yes, there are silent "L"s in plenty of words: would, calm, chalk, yolk* etc.

I think the reason why many people find the American pronunciation of the word solder amusing is because it sounds rude.

EDIT:
*yolk
That's an interesting one. At first I thought I got it wrong and was confusing it with yoke, a totally different word, but I've done a bit of research and found some people pronounce the L in yolk and others don't.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:46:43 pm by Hero999 »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 09:27:11 pm »
You know what I hate? Me trying to figure out the pronounciation of english words up to a point I get to thinking I must be getting Alzheimers because I never can remember the right way.

Only to figure out you folks do it differently depending on which side of the pond you are  |O :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 09:45:18 pm »
You know what I hate? Me trying to figure out the pronounciation of english words up to a point I get to thinking I must be getting Alzheimers because I never can remember the right way.
If people understand you, then your pronunciation is adequate.
Only to figure out you folks do it differently depending on which side of the pond you are  |O :palm:
Worse than that, three of the variants listed, numbers 2 to 4, are from the same country! ;D

Do any other languages have such a great variety, in terms of pronunciation, as English?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 09:50:50 pm »

Worse than that, three of the variants listed, numbers 2 to 4, are from the same country! ;D

Do any other languages have such a great variety, in terms of pronunciation, as English?

Give Sodder a good Southern USA Drawl and I reckon you could spell it Saderr  ;D

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:04 pm »
Anything except #1
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:22:05 pm »

...Give Sodder a good Southern USA Drawl and I reckon you could spell it Saderr  ;D

A few southern gents on Youtube give it the full throttle with SAR-DUR-R-R 

I reckon an afternoon with a few rye and beer chasers to loosen the tongue (and break the 'suspicious foreigner' ice ???), with no tempting ladies in the bar to distract proceedings...  :-* :-* :-*

I would have them saying at the least SAR-L-DUR-R-R      = fixed!  :clap:   

Good enough for hot iron wielding aussies, americans and canadians hey?  :-+

Then we can mosey on over to the ladies and see how well they fare with the 'L' thang...  ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:26:23 pm by Electro Detective »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf