Author Topic: Proving zero = infinity without math using the EMF spectrum  (Read 5755 times)

Offline yadaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Heres a graph of the transmission spectrum of polycarbonate in light UV and IR. A pretty boring and straight forward graph but it got me thinking; what if we extended the left side of the graph to 0? Just one more tick on the graph? Not really, if we imagine that light is in the middle of the spectrum, since it is as far as energy and wavelength go, between the 200nm and 0 there exists the other half of the spectrum; UV, xray, gamma rays, the super high energy gammas science can detect but not explain, all the way up to the energies of strings of string theory, then the energy of the singularity of the big bang. Strings would live at energies with a wave length around a few plank lengths, almost all the way up to infinite energies, not even the big bang would be able to be 100% to the left at the zero point, but it would still fit on this graph. There exists more energy in this single space on the graph then everything to the right of it combined. So before a photon could approach this zero wave length mark it would form a black hole called a "kugel blitz", because its energy would be so great from E=MC^2. So that 0 is definitely anything but zero. 

Online helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Proving zero = infinity without math using the EMF spectrum
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:17:17 pm »
A wavelength shorter than the Planck length (~.2 yÅ) is not physically possible, so I don't see the point of the exercise. Nothing you have written "proves 0 = infinity", and no argument from physics could ever do so since mathematics is axiomatic.

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:28:51 pm »
What you have proven is that 1/x is 0 for limes x towards infinity. Has relatively little to do with the physical world...
Same as saying an infinitely short pulse contains frequencies as high as infinity in it. True in theory, not so much in reality.

When you go from wavelength to energy you are doing a scale transformation, basically as 1/x.
i can also do a scale transformation and prove that 0 = 2... 2=x+2 if I take your argumentation. (Of course saying 0=2 is wrong, as is 0=inf from the OP)

And trying to do math without math usually goes wrong...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:32:43 pm by Octane »
W4MFT

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:21:12 pm »
The "ultraviolet catastrophe" of a previous century (q.v.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe) was a similar problem, since frequency goes to infinity as wavelength goes to zero.  Planck introduced his famous constant while solving this conundrum, which eliminated an unphysical result (infinite total output power with finite input).

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:54:52 pm »
A wavelength shorter than the Planck length (~.2 yÅ) is not physically possible, so I don't see the point of the exercise. Nothing you have written "proves 0 = infinity", and no argument from physics could ever do so since mathematics is axiomatic.

Thanks, I'm glad you're not being a dick in your criticism.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:07:14 pm »
Heres a graph of the transmission spectrum of polycarbonate in light UV and IR. A pretty boring and straight forward graph but it got me thinking; what if we extended the left side of the graph to 0? Just one more tick on the graph? Not really, if we imagine that light is in the middle of the spectrum, since it is as far as energy and wavelength go, between the 200nm and 0 there exists the other half of the spectrum; UV, xray, gamma rays, the super high energy gammas science can detect but not explain, all the way up to the energies of strings of string theory, then the energy of the singularity of the big bang. Strings would live at energies with a wave length around a few plank lengths, almost all the way up to infinite energies, not even the big bang would be able to be 100% to the left at the zero point, but it would still fit on this graph. There exists more energy in this single space on the graph then everything to the right of it combined. So before a photon could approach this zero wave length mark it would form a black hole called a "kugel blitz", because its energy would be so great from E=MC^2. So that 0 is definitely anything but zero.

*than

The following users thanked this post: yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 12:54:21 am »

*than

*thine

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:47:56 am »

*than

*thine

Thine = yours.  Fail.

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 03:26:26 pm »
*than, *thine, thine=yours.... ?!? Could somebody please elaborate for non native English speakers?
W4MFT

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 04:24:39 pm »

*than

*thine

Thins, Mint Thins.

Thus proving the EMF spectrum is made of Girl Scouts.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 04:50:54 pm »

In my experience, math goes wrong even when I use math to do it!

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 04:55:30 pm »

Thins, Mint Thins.

:-DD

Personally, I prefer Samoas...

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 05:06:09 pm »

In my experience, math goes wrong even when I use math to do it!

But that is usually not math's fault...  :D
W4MFT

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 06:11:27 pm »
If something goes infinity small and in number space below unity and at one point it will be nonexistent and zero for all purposes. Infinity is something too big and zero is something too small to be written down. Zero is just infinity inversed and written in more compact form. I don't know why it needs to be proven.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:40:59 pm by Vtile »

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 06:25:21 pm »
If something goes infinity small it and at one point will be nonexistent and zero for all purposes. Infinity is something too big and zero is something too small to be written down. Zero is just infinity inversed and written in more compact form. I don't know why it needs to be proven.  ;D
The true dual of infinity is infinitessimals, as used by Newton in the differential calculus. Zero has no inverse.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 06:33:01 pm »
There's no such thing as infinity, waaaaaaaay off the right side of the plot, either.

Everything real is finite and nonzero.  Get used to it?  :-// :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 06:45:26 pm »
If something goes infinity small it and at one point will be nonexistent and zero for all purposes. Infinity is something too big and zero is something too small to be written down. Zero is just infinity inversed and written in more compact form. I don't know why it needs to be proven.  ;D
The true dual of infinity is infinitessimals, as used by Newton in the differential calculus. Zero has no inverse.
Why? Since inverse of inverse is no inverse and zero is inverse of infinity then inverse of zero is infinity.  :=\

Edit. Just adding this so some random reader doesn't judge me to be out of medication: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0%5E-1
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:03:06 pm by Vtile »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 06:55:50 pm »
The is no non-zero without zero or finite without infinite - just as there is no positive without negative, light without dark, foreground without background, ying without yang, etc, etc, etc.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 12:44:51 am »

Thins, Mint Thins.

:-DD

Personally, I prefer Samoas...

So do I.  I keep mine in the freezer.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 01:35:05 am »
*than, *thine, thine=yours.... ?!? Could somebody please elaborate for non native English speakers?

JUST TO ANSWER the above post ^ ^ ^ ^ ......

This little aside comes from the fact that there is much less attention being paid to spelling and grammar by many people - and the internet offers an easy place for incorrect examples of both to be presented.  For the most part, re-reading such words or phrases can be enough to gain understanding of the intended message, however for those who did pay attention in class, reading them often causes discomfort ... like a spur being pressed into the back of their head.

Some common examples are:
(please note, these are only examples - there may be more definitions, but I'm not out to recreate the dictionary - OK?)

Loose vs Lose
Loose means:1. Something that is free to move around."The dogs have been let loose."
          or2. Not tight"He has a screw loose."
Lose means:1. To no longer possess"I sometimes lose my keys."
          or2. To not win in competition"My football team will lose today".
Then vs Than
Then means:A reference to time"The switch is turned on and then the capacitors charge up."
Than means:A preference"I would rather have a Keysight scope than an Owon."

The extra references to "Thy" and "Thine" are a bit of silliness, since these are archaic forms of "You" and "Yours".  They are not commonly used in normal modern day conversation - and the only reason (I see) why "Thine" was included above was because it sounds similar to "Then" and "Than".

Obviously, this could go on for a bit - and I'm going to suggest that it goes no further.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:39:27 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, Dave, Vtile, Octane, yada

Offline meeko

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 08:23:51 pm »
Reminds me of a proof a math teacher told us once:

If 0 = 1, then I am God.

Add 1 to both sides, 1 = 2.

God and I are 2, but 2 = 1, therefore God and I are one and the same.

Q.E.D.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf