Author Topic: Looking for a DAC to convert HDMI to analog (yes, yes, I know... HDCP)  (Read 2569 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all-

Yeah, I know that HDCP is problematic here.  Still, I have a need for just such a device.

My home has an older multiroom signal routing system based entirely on component video.  I want to add a Roku as a new source into the existing video matrix.  So I need to convert the digital Roku output to analog video & audio.  Is there any way to actually make this work in the real world?

Thanks.

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a DAC to convert HDMI to analog (yes, yes, I know... HDCP)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:19:36 pm »
$10 at Walmart. But I'm sure there are plenty to choose from out there:
https://www.walmart.com/tp/hdmi-to-rca-converter

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:58:33 pm »
$10 at Walmart. But I'm sure there are plenty to choose from out there:
https://www.walmart.com/tp/hdmi-to-rca-converter
Those convert to composite video. OP wants component video (three video jacks and two for audio, all RCA). Like this: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hdmi%20component%20converter&typeahead=hdmi%20component

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »
OK, $20 then. Still at Walmart, though.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:07 pm »
You can convert any signal you want to whatever you want. You gotta pay tho, often a lot. There are HDCP "Strippers" as some HDMI splitters unintentionally (or sometimes intentionally) strip the HDCP from HDMI. These devices are not technically legal to sell (breaking the DCMA's law against circumventing copy protection mechanisms, at least in the US), but you can still buy them, it's just gonna be hard to locate them.

For me if I had money I would purchase something that could convert RGB directly into YPbPr so I can use SCART connections on my American television equipment. I also have a Commodore 1084 monitor with Analog RGB that it can theoretically sync to both to PAL and NTSC in colour.

It's a dream of mine, in particular, to never have to deal with converting signals ever again, and to be in a position where I can not care about what a device outputs/inputs, and that I can deal with it in near perfect quality.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:59 pm »
If I had the money I'd would convert everything to SDI. It's brilliant technology used extensively in professional video.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:38 pm »
I haven't looked into this recently, but don't some HDMi splitters strip the HDCP?

Another option migt be an HDMI to VGA adapter.

I'm not sure what resolution you're looking at distributing, 1080p at 60fps is doable (and about the limit) over VGA.

I haven't had much luck myself with HDMI splitters beyond 1080p/60fps, even those that purport to be HDMI 2.0, so 4k/UHD might be "experimental" shall we say.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:01:19 pm »
I haven't looked into this recently, but don't some HDMi splitters strip the HDCP?

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:21:54 am »
I bought two different HDMI splitters a few years ago and both worked as HDCP strippers out of the box. I actually bought the first one with the intent of hacking it into a HDCP stripper for fun...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:57:03 am »
I bought two different HDMI splitters a few years ago and both worked as HDCP strippers out of the box. I actually bought the first one with the intent of hacking it into a HDCP stripper for fun...

The thing is that it's not always gonna do that. I even think stuff like HDMI 2 has a new version of HDCP that has not been broken, but idk about that, pure speculation.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 03:05:01 am »
HDMI DACs will work with HDCP content on properly designed players, it's just that the output will be down-sampled to 480p by the source video device.  If the source video device can't do this, then it will just refuse to output a video signal as in the case of many cheap consumer AV hardware.  You will have more luck with commercial players here, some of which may output 1080i in component analog already.  As for using a PC or media player to output HDCP flagged content without seeing a HDCP enabled monitor, patches exist for windows which will make you PC always see a HDCP screen even if you use analog VGA out.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 03:16:41 am »
Search HDCP Splitter on eBay. It's illegal, but it doesn't mean you can't find it. It actually sells well.
The split HDMI signal is no longer protected, and any DAC should work.
I would not count on this...
In fact, it should only be possible if the splitter has been pirated or it is an illegal one.
Legal splitters re-encrypt....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:18:43 am by BrianHG »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf