Author Topic: Putting equipment on ebay, should I reveal serial number to a punter?  (Read 4420 times)

Offline HowardlongTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I don't often put stuff on ebay, I'm more of a buyer than a seller, but I am having a clear out at the moment.

For one item I have (an Elecraft KX3 ham radio transceiver) I've had a question about the serial number of the unit.

I don't have anything to hide, but equally, I don't want to be scammed.

What's the view on responding with the serial number?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Re: Putting equipment on ebay, should I reveal serial number to a punter?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »
I've never had an issue with serial numbers.

I did have someone want me to send a picture of my passport next to an expensive item to prove I actually owned the item. Instead I sent a picture of it with a print out of his linked-in page which he accepted.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:02:04 pm »
OK, thanks, I've asked the guy for his callsign anyway, and given him the range to within 100 of the serial number. Assuming his credentials appear reasonable I'll let him have the serial number.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:04:36 pm »
I see no reason to hide serials number of equipment. Why should you have to?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 03:20:10 pm »
I would definitely NOT BUY an expensive item from someone who wouldn't provide the serial number in advance.
Withholding the serial number is exactly what you would expect from someone selling stolen goods, and makes me extremely suspicious.

The only reason I would think for withholding a serial number is cases where the number could be used for other things like licensing proprietary software or something.

In many areas (like film/video production), it is expected that serial numbers will be provided in order to check against stolen lists, etc.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:53:49 pm »
OK, many thanks, punter seems happy, I've sent them a picture of the back of the item with the serial number.

I have heard of (anecdotes) of people falsely claiming stolen property based on serial numbers divulged online, that was my reticence. I don't pretend to understand the precise nature of the scam, but that was why I placed the question.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:44:33 pm »
Especially with used HP/Agilent/Keysight gear it's very useful to know the serial number, since you can look up warranty and calibration status (and reports, if any) online.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:38:49 am »
I would definitely NOT BUY an expensive item from someone who wouldn't provide the serial number in advance.
Withholding the serial number is exactly what you would expect from someone selling stolen goods, and makes me extremely suspicious.

So the thief asks for your equipment legal serial number, puts it on his stolen goods.

If the seller has a reason to want the number (only wants the item if it is after ser.no 9682514) He can get a before/after yes/no answer from me.
You can also agree a serial number disclaimer. First buy it. serial number is transmitted. If something is wrong he gets it's money back.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:30 am »
Especially with used HP/Agilent/Keysight gear it's very useful to know the serial number, since you can look up warranty and calibration status (and reports, if any) online.
Add to this, any possible general factory recall and in some cases an online register of the units that have been modded to new spec by service agents or the factory. Tek TDS510/520 for example.

The only reason I would think for withholding a serial number is cases where the number could be used for other things like licensing proprietary software or something.

In many areas (like film/video production), it is expected that serial numbers will be provided in order to check against stolen lists, etc.
+1

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf