Author Topic: Radio Shack Bankruptcy  (Read 421 times)

Offline Lawsen

• Regular Contributor
Radio Shack Bankruptcy
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
Radio Shack is bankrupt. They are closing the remaining of 5,000 stores in North America. The causes are many from Sprint cellular telephones that bought them out and their pricing structure is too expensive compared to web sources to buy parts, lack of expansions into items for the maker culture, to the less reliant on over the counter and increasing reliant on web ordering and phone ordering parts.  The surgance in maker culture did helped but not enough. All Radio Shacks will be or are gone.

Offline brucehoult

• Regular Contributor
Re: Radio Shack Bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
Radio Shack is bankrupt. They are closing the remaining of 5,000 stores in North America. The causes are many from Sprint cellular telephones that bought them out and their pricing structure is too expensive compared to web sources to buy parts, lack of expansions into items for the maker culture, to the less reliant on over the counter and increasing reliant on web ordering and phone ordering parts.  The surgance in maker culture did helped but not enough. All Radio Shacks will be or are gone.

I'm amazed they were still alive!

I doubt I've been in one since I was in the US in 1998 and visited a Radio Shack at Belmont, CA. A fruitless exercise as it had nothing other than TVs and mobile phones even then, at a time when Dick Smith stores in NZ still had components, connectors, wire, kits etc etc.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:10:59 PM »
Closed RadioShack Goes Rogue, Tells Customers to Go ‘F–k’ Themselves

A shuttered RadioShack store in Reynoldsburg, Ohio published some questionable comments on its Facebook page this week.

RadioShack No. 4831, which Consumerist reports closed in March, told customers, "We closed. F--k all of you." It later posted, "Always hated all you p---k customers anyway." It's currently unclear who published the Facebook posts.

It's unclear if the Facebook page was truly the store's official account.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/20/radioshack-closed-facebook-ohio/
I am a Test Equipment Addict (TEA) - by virtue of this forum signature, I have now faced my addiction

Offline daveyk

• Regular Contributor
Radio Shack Bankruptcy
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »

I'm amazed they were still alive!

I doubt I've been in one since I was in the US in 1998 and visited a Radio Shack at Belmont, CA. A fruitless exercise as it had nothing other than TVs and mobile phones even then, at a time when Dick Smith stores in NZ still had components, connectors, wire, kits etc etc.

Radio shack in the 1970s was great. Their p-Box kits were a wonderful thing for a teenager who wanted to learn. They had parts back then too. I was just learning electronics around 1975 and they were the only thing in town.

I am Facebook friends with the retired owner of our Radio Shack from back then. He's still alive and retired down south but active on-line. I can remember his patience when I would go to his store, which was in the back of his appliance store and then later as its own Radio Shack business moved to the local shopping plaza. Mom gave me so much money to buy parts each week for whatever I was building at the time and it would take me an hour to decide what to get. I did end up completing my own shortwave receiver and spend hours scanning the airwaves and collect DSL cards from a lot of shortwave broadcasters. I loved listening to Radio Nederlands.

I can not imagine my youth without Radio Shack, so this news makes me very sad, even if I outgrew RS by the early to mid-80s.

Radio Shack led to Heathkit, also sadly dead too, and then on to my Technicians education and job at the same place for the last 36years. Sadly that is ending too now that we were bought by GE and are being closed and moved oversees. 57 and being an electronics tech in a throw away society leaves me high and dry and possibly loosing a lot here in this small town.  I'm not sure how we will survive. So maybe, indirectly, and through three pass logic, I can blame my future problems on Radio Shack.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:25:56 PM by daveyk »

Online NANDBlog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
Again? This will be in the news: This year, Radio Shack did not go bankrupt.

Offline cvanc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »
I can not imagine my youth without Radio Shack, so this news makes me very sad, even if I outgrew RS by the early to mid-80s.

This.  Exactly this.

Offline brucehoult

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:21:42 AM »

Radio Shack led to Heathkit, also sadly dead too, and then on to my Technicians education and job at the same place for the last 36years. Sadly that is ending too now that we were bought by GE and are being closed and moved oversees. 57 and being an electronics tech in a throw away society leaves me high and dry and possibly loosing a lot here in this small town.  I'm not sure how we will survive. So maybe, indirectly, and through three pass logic, I can blame my future problems on Radio Shack.

Australia and New Zealand still have Jaycar{.co.nz,.com.au}, which are pretty good. They claim "over 50 Stores & Stockists located throughout New Zealand", many times more than that in Australia. NZ has at least a couple of good owner-operated mail order hobbiest stores in https://nicegear.co.nz/ and http://www.mindkits.co.nz/, plus of course element14.

I'm living in Moscow at the moment and there is a wealth of internet order stores with electronic components, but most don't have any walk-in retail presence. Weirdly, they mostly let you select an order on the web site, then phone you to arrange delivery (which can often be in 2 hours, for a $10 fee). Cash payment on delivery seems to be the norm, at least with the places I've used.

Ohhh ... I just this moment found "Chip & Dip" which claims four actual retail locations in Moscow. I may just visit this one near me (3.3 km walk, or 15 min walk, 8 min on metro, 5 min walk) in the weekend. Looks reasonable.

https://www.chipdip.ru/en/shops/moscow-gilyarovskogo-39

I'm just looking at their price list (excel file) now ... lots and lots of ATMega, ATTiny, PIC, STM Cortex. Ah .. and I wanted a few shift registers for my HiFive1 Arduino compatable .. they have TI DIP16 SN74HC595N for 24 rubles (or SO-16 for 14 rubles). Definitely will visit :-)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58:48 AM »
Australia and New Zealand still have Jaycar{.co.nz,.com.au}, which are pretty good. They claim "over 50 Stores & Stockists located throughout New Zealand", many times more than that in Australia.

Interesting that you mention Jaycar and their stores and stockists in this thread.

There is a business in Tamworth, NSW that is a Jaycar stockist as well as having their own product lines.  I personally know the guy who founded it.  From his involvement in the industry, he has had a fondness for the Radio Shack brand for some time and when Tandy disappeared from Australia, he looked at picking up the brand.  He had me prepare some graphics for trademark applications, but even I could tell he wasn't going to get them through.

He found a way to get close, though, and made it on a couple of points....
https://www.radioshackaustralia.com.au/

... so there's going to be a little hint of nostalgia that will live on in Australia.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:10:35 AM by Brumby »

Offline daveyk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 12:04:53 AM »
Australia and New Zealand still have Jaycar{.co.nz,.com.au}, which are pretty good. They claim "over 50 Stores & Stockists located throughout New Zealand", many times more than that in Australia.

Interesting that you mention Jaycar and their stores and stockists in this thread.

There is a business in Tamworth, NSW that is a Jaycar stockist as well as having their own product lines.  I personally know the guy who founded it.  From his involvement in the industry, he has had a fondness for the Radio Shack brand for some time and when Tandy disappeared from Australia, he looked at picking up the brand.  He had me prepare some graphics for trademark applications, but even I could tell he wasn't going to get them through.

He found a way to get close, though, and made it on a couple of points....
https://www.radioshackaustralia.com.au/

... so there's going to be a little hint of nostalgia that will live on in Australia.

Solar snake repeller? Damn, I'm glad we don't need anything like that here in central Pennsylvania in the USA.  I hear there are more snakes and spiders in Australia that can kill you in a heartbeat than anywhere else? I guess you learn to be careful and adapt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 12:19:33 AM »
I guess you learn to be careful and adapt?

Just like anywhere else in the world.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf