Author Topic: Red and Blue LED as light for growing plants!  (Read 2172 times)

Offline MTTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Red and Blue LED as light for growing plants!
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:18 am »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Red and Blue LED as light for growing plants!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:16:57 am »
Old news...it's been known for a long time. ::) There are plenty of red/blue grow lights available.

EDIT: DAMMIT GOOGLE! I knew it would do that. As soon as you type in "grow light" it thinks you mean for marijuana. :palm:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:34:52 am by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:35:56 am »

Think about it for a sec: Why do plants appear green?

Because they’re reflecting green light, and absorbing the rest. What’s the rest? There you go.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 07:15:27 am »
Think about it for a sec: Why do plants appear green?
Because they’re reflecting green light, and absorbing the rest. What’s the rest? There you go.

Right. Then think what white LEDs actually are. To sum it all up: better use LEDs of proper wavelengths than inefficiently convert light of blue led into broad spectrum using phosphors.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 05:04:23 pm »
Exactly. Though there is debate in the horticulture and hydroponics worlds as to whether plants benefit from intermediate wavelengths like orange and yellow, as well as non-visible wavelengths like infrared and UV.

And some grow lights do include some white LEDs simply to make them more convenient for humans, so we can see discoloration or bugs or what have you.

In my DIY grow light (for my calamondin tree and chili shrubs that I have to overwinter indoors at full temperature), I used one 60W grow light strip (4 red to 1 blue), and another 60W shitty warm white LED strip with a dimmer. So if I don’t want the room to be deep magenta, I just add in the white, producing a somewhat ghastly peach light. Normally I leave the white off.

The following users thanked this post: ogden

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:19:51 pm »
Old news...it's been known for a long time. ::) There are plenty of red/blue grow lights available.

EDIT: DAMMIT GOOGLE! I knew it would do that. As soon as you type in "grow light" it thinks you mean for marijuana. :palm:

If you type in "grow led" on AliExpress you also get hit with a lot of POTential unsafe stuff  :-DD

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:53:34 pm »
There are plenty of charts on the web showing the wavelengths plants respond too.  This is pretty well researched tech.

Offline MTTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 10:54:07 pm »

Yeeeah right, the video is from 2015...its intentionally old alright.  ;D  I dont want normal growth rate i want abnormal growth, i want electric trees, imagine a piezo electric ash/birch/spruce tree, as soon as it blows it generate noise in which you rectify and you get DC. :popcorn:

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 11:16:25 pm »

Yeeeah right, the video is from 2015...its intentionally old alright.  ;D  I dont want normal growth rate i want abnormal growth, i want electric trees, imagine a piezo electric ash/birch/spruce tree, as soon as it blows it generate noise in which you rectify and you get DC. :popcorn:

And I thought I had a strange imagination...
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 02:00:48 am »
A couple of years ago I gave indoor hydroponics a try. In my walk-in closet I grew some really nice bell peppers and cherry tomatoes using LED grow lights. It wasn't as "maintenance free" as I had expected, so I haven't grown any since, but the lettuce I grew using the Kratky method was fairly easy and worked really well. I used regular white LED shop lights for that though.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
The problem I see with these new horticulture products they use some fluid plantfood that only contains what the plants need to grow.
It lacks all the rest like some minerals and metals the plants that grow on soil do have.

Offline roffvald

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 04:24:31 pm »

I have a mini greenhouse on my balcony(7th floor) with growlights. Last spring my doorbell rang, and it was the Police, they asked me to see my balcony and I immediately realized what they were after, but I kept my mouth shut. When we got there they opened the doors to the mini greenhouse and saw all my lovely Cherry Tomato plants. I apologized for them not being ripe yet, they laughed, apologized for interrupting my day and moved on.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 09:18:26 pm »

I have a mini greenhouse on my balcony(7th floor) with growlights. Last spring my doorbell rang, and it was the Police, they asked me to see my balcony and I immediately realized what they were after, but I kept my mouth shut. When we got there they opened the doors to the mini greenhouse and saw all my lovely Cherry Tomato plants. I apologized for them not being ripe yet, they laughed, apologized for interrupting my day and moved on.

That would probably considered unreasonable (unwarranted) search in the US.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 02:21:56 am »
Yeah, right!!! I'm sure grow lights are MORE than enough "reasonable suspicion". FFS, it's sufficient for cops to use an IR camera to look at rooftops in the winter and see the ones that are "too" warm...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf