Author Topic: Returned Product on Shelves Horror Thread  (Read 6796 times)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Returned Product on Shelves Horror Thread
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 04:14:35 am »
I once worked for an electronics retailer that had a problem with products returned under warranty that were replacement, not repair items.  The faulty units were written off and thrown out.  (Occasionally, I was allowed to take something I could use ... but with the strict condition that it would never make its way back into the product food chain.  I understood this and always made sure I honoured it.)

However, sometimes faulty goods (not from our store) would end up in the hands of unscrupulous individuals who would buy a new product and then return the faulty one - I think for a refund.  The company had now given away a new item for free.

This caused the write-off process to be changed.  All products that were to be written off were noted on the computer system and kept aside in the store room.  Periodically, the area manager would drop into the store with this printed list and supervise the physical destruction of each item.  Only then could the shrapnel be thrown into the dumpster.  I know - I was usually given the destruction task - and the area manager made sure I crunched each item to his satisfaction before ticking it off the list.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 03:19:13 pm »
However, sometimes faulty goods (not from our store) would end up in the hands of unscrupulous individuals who would buy a new product and then return the faulty one - I think for a refund.  The company had now given away a new item for free.

I know Brumby implied the following, but I just wanted to make it explicit.

Be aware that this fraud is more often, but obviously not exclusively, committed by insiders rather than end-users. So it's quite likely to be an insider at the wholesalers/retailers who does this to you, rather than the ultimate customer. It's the wholesalers/retailers who have access to a ready stock of faulty products whereas it's quite difficult for an end-user to track down a 'dud' if their purpose is to get one for free or simply make money fraudulently.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline fubar.gr

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 09:46:00 pm »
Still trying to understand the auto-decompression ball bearing  |O

This is what a pushrod valve system looks like:

As the camshaft rotates, the cam follower encounters the pointy part of the cam and is forced to move upwards. This in turn moves the pushrod and one end of the rocker arm upwards. The other end of the rocker arm moves downwards and depresses the valve stem, causing the valve to open.

When the cam follower is in contact with the flat part of the cam, then the valve is fully seated (closed)

But on that particular engine as shown here: https://youtu.be/Y4Xd4-3Vjk8?t=426 the bottom part of the exhaust cam is not completely flat, there's that ball bearing protruding.

This will in turn make the valve lift just a tiny bit. It will vent some air during the compression stroke, making the cord pulling easier, but not enough to affect the combustion significantly.

Then, when the engine picks up RPM, the centrifugal mechanism retracts the ball bearing, making the bottom of the cam completely flat and allowing the valve to close properly.

The following users thanked this post: ciccio, ez24

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
Years ago, when I worked for Sears in the lawn and garden depth, a lawn mower was returned the same day purchased.  When I took it out of the box, there was a 5" hole in the side' of the block.  I checked the dipstick--bone dry.  I refused the refund stating it was obvious the mower was run without oil.  He bitched loud enough and my manager gave the refund.  I talked to her and she said in the grand scheme of things, 1 lawn mower was insignificant, keep the customer happy.  Look at Sears now.  They obviously took back too many blown up mowers!  :wtf:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 01:34:21 am »
I periodically have to return a product that is defective, or just didn't fit the purpose intended.  WalMart has a very forgiving return policy, so this is no issue, and probably doesn't hurt them that much because often I go on into the store and buy something since I have already made the trek into town.

Every time I do this there is someone returning a bicycle that has obviously been ridden a bit.  Apparently that is a common scam among the local homeless who need transportation.   "Buy" a bike.  Ride it to where needed.  Return for refund.  Free transportation.  You can see that the employees are on to the scam, and tired of it, but they are constrained by the corporate policy.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 03:44:29 am »
Sometimes corporate directives will short-circuit any attempts to "keep the bastards honest" and instruct the "cave-in" response.  They obviously have their "image" set at a higher value than the losses through such customers.
It's often cheaper to let a few bastards win. An even more compelling reason to do so is that there will sooner or later be a customer with an unlikely story telling the truth. I'd rather let 10 bastards walk, than to shortchange one actual unlucky customer.

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:39 pm »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 08:49:46 pm »
I saw this Youtube video and just had to make a thread dedicated to this crap...

This has been fun, entertaining, and educational

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf