Author Topic: Rigol DG1022 Function Generator  (Read 44745 times)

Offline ngkee22Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol DG1022 Function Generator
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:33:00 pm »
This is my first post here and I am really glad I found this site.  There is a lot a great advice and information here.

After finding this site I have decided to buy a Rigol DS1052D Ocsilloscope.  But I want to get a good function generator also.  I saw that Rigol produces the DG1022 and after reading about it, it seems like a fairly good unit.  I wanted to ask everyone's advice on this unit, especially if you own one, I would like some feedback.  I have read a few post on here about it but thought I would see if I could get more information before I go and get one.

If this isn't a good unit, what would you suggest far an entry level to mid range function generator.

Thanks

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DG1022 Function Generator
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 04:01:33 pm »
If this isn't a good unit, what would you suggest far an entry level to mid range function generator.

Entry-mid level isn't descriptive enough.  Is there a reason you need an arbitrary waveform generator?  Have you checked around eBay?  Prices are much better on used equipment if you're just looking for the basics.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:08:51 pm »
I don't have a reason for an arbitrary waveform right now, but I'm not sure what all I will want to do in the future.  I trying to plan ahead a little.  When I was in college, we used a simple function generator for most of our analog circuits, mostly sine waves.  I just don't remember what all it was capable of doing or the brand.  I mainly want a good unit that will give me some growing room and somehting that is good quality for the price.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:24:21 pm »
There is another thread on function generators here with a discussion on feature set, new, used and DDS variants:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=633.msg7505#msg7505

It includes a link to this thread, about misgivings about the DG1022 Rigol:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=197.0

I would consider just the 'basic' FG as discussed on the other thread.  The sky's the limit when it comes to buying high end FG, so above the 'basic' floor the 'high end' ceiling on capability and price is pretty high.

I don't have a reason for an arbitrary waveform right now, but I'm not sure what all I will want to do in the future.  I trying to plan ahead a little.  When I was in college, we used a simple function generator for most of our analog circuits, mostly sine waves.  I just don't remember what all it was capable of doing or the brand.  I mainly want a good unit that will give me some growing room and somehting that is good quality for the price.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:54:25 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 04:54:10 pm »
I have read those posts, but thanks for sending them my way again.  I guess what I am looking for is someone else who owns the function generator and what their thoughts are about it.  I know that one person had a few issues with it, but I would like to hear about a few other experiences before I make up my mind.

Thanks

Offline sawtooth

• Sawtooth Mountains
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 05:24:16 pm »
I too am considering purchasing the DG1022 and looking for some feedback on it.  I'm in the process of setting up a home lab and just took delivery of a DS1052E.  So far I'm impressed with the oscilliscope so I thought Rigol would produce a nice FG too.

So far in my research it doesn't look like the features and price point for the DG1022 can be beat.  The specs look OK and I like the addition of AM,FM and FSK modulation.

I understand the merits of used equipment, but I'm worried about reliability.  Plus you can't connect a PC to a 20 year old HP.  If no one has any experience with the DG1022, does anyone know of a competing product with a similar feature set at that pricepoint?

Thanks!

alm

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 06:04:00 pm »
The HP/Agilent 33120A is sometimes available used for a similar price. Sample rate is slower, more points, better documentation, better software (which is critical for an arbitrary waveform generator, you don't want to enter 4k points from the front panel). The current software still supports this model from a number of years ago, the Rigol software doesn't even seem to support the first revision of the DG1022. It has RS-232 and GPIB, so easy to connect to a PC.

I evaluated the software some time ago, it is a bad Intuilink clone. Both Agilent Intuilink and the Tektronix software are nicer and have more features. The Rigol software lacks features like pulse generation (with variable rise time and profile) and the ability to enter arbitrary equations. I believe they actually recommend to create the signals in the Tektronix software and import those in their own software, which is a bit sneaky in my opinion.

Even for a new Rigol DS1022, only during the one or two years of warranty do you have any recourse in case of defects. After that, you're on your own, since they don't publish any service documentation, let alone schematics (as Agilent does). They also don't publish any programming documentation (except for their own libraries), so if they ever stop supporting your equipment for a new operating system version, the arbitrary waveform ability becomes useless unless you reverse-engineer the protocol.

Offline sawtooth

• Sawtooth Mountains
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 05:43:53 am »
Good info, thanks Alm!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 05:58:02 am »
It looks like a nice unit, but unless you have a specific need for an ARB generator, I'd be spending the $700 on other gear first.
For example, I don't have an ARB generator, and have rarely needed one. A basic 2MHz or more function generator is all most people will need.

Dave.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 02:54:52 pm »
The main reason I have been considering it so much is that I can get it for $540 US brand new.  I thought that would be a good deal for one.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 12:35:24 am »
I thought I would add something to this post.  I recently found a fairly good deal, but I am not familiar with the company.

MIB Instruments has a Rigol DS1102E and a Rigol DG1022 for $1050.
I thought that maybe these were used or refurbished, but their listing says it is new.

Link to it: http://www.mib-instruments.com/servlet/the-116/RIGOL-DG1022--pls--DS1102E/Detail

If anyone has any expereince with this company, I would be interested in learning about them.

I had about made my mind up to buy the Instek GDS-1102A scope until I saw this deal.  It looks like a good buy and at that price, I think I could make do with the Rigol scope.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 04:32:48 pm »
That is a China reseller, nothing wrong with that as such, but seen the current prices of Rigol's at US based sellers I would think twice if you're in the US.
this is their ebay feedback profile: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=mib_instruments&ftab=AllFeedback
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:55 pm »
I came across their ebay store last night after I posted that message.  The prices look good, but after seeing that they were in Hong Kong, I wasn't sure I wanted to get involved with them.  It would probably be more of a hassle than what I would want.  I figured I would just see what was posted here today and see what people thought of them.

alm

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 06:00:09 pm »
I wonder if that DS1102E is a re-labled DS1052E ;). I think you can get a DS1052E + DG1022 for almost the same price from tequipment.net (assuming you are in the US). You could even ask them if they're willing to give you a few bucks off or a free accessory as package deal (worst they can do is say no). Doing the 100MHz hack might void your warranty, but if you have to send it to Hong Kong to get warranty service, it would be quite a hassle anyway.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Best Wishes,

Saturation

alm

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
Thanks for the link, looks like my first impressions were correct. Performance is not horrible, but you won't confuse it with a professional piece of equipment like those from Agilent or Tektronix either.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 08:01:27 pm »
You're welcome.  A practical rule of comparing an unknown's performance against as established one is hard to beat, added to <= $100 price difference.

The reviewer has other insights I've placed on the closest forum topic, such as Rigol's arbitrary waveform generator vs Agilent.  

Skeptical as he is, he does suggest the Rigol 1000s series scopes are a good bet over others.

Thanks for the link, looks like my first impressions were correct. Performance is not horrible, but you won't confuse it with a professional piece of equipment like those from Agilent or Tektronix either.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline bigboy

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 02:33:49 am »
I am also looking for this product, very lucky to find this site, I have read a lot of comments about the DG1022 and DS1052E, and eventually bought.

I bought DG1022 here: http://www.diyertool.com/rigol-dg1022-function-waveform-signal-generator.html
DS1052E here: http://www.dealexcel.com/rigol-ds1052e-50mhz-band-widths-2channel-digital-oscilloscope_p363.html

if you want to buy DG1022, diyertool have the lowest price, just 429.55USD :P
hope this review can help you!
Thanks to Dave Jones!

Best Wishes,
Olivier Henley

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 09:14:35 am »
Great give us your review of it, and pics, if you can!

I am also looking for this product, very lucky to find this site, I have read a lot of comments about the DG1022 and DS1052E, and eventually bought.

I bought DG1022 here: http://www.diyertool.com/rigol-dg1022-function-waveform-signal-generator.html
DS1052E here: http://www.dealexcel.com/rigol-ds1052e-50mhz-band-widths-2channel-digital-oscilloscope_p363.html

if you want to buy DG1022, diyertool have the lowest price, just 429.55USD :P
hope this review can help you!
Thanks to Dave Jones!

Best Wishes,
Olivier Henley
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline bigboy

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 03:18:01 am »
Great give us your review of it, and pics, if you can!

Sure, but i haven't received my package :P, i bought them yesterday, and i just got DG1022 tracking number from diyertool

i will share my review after i receive my package

Offline bigboy

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 06:27:54 am »
hello, the dg1022 generator is a good quality product. diyertool's representatives where really helpful and willing to solve any query or problem, i got the item on Jun 2, the box was extremely crushed, but luckily the generator was functional.

diyertool.com is the best choice for an affordable generator.

Best Wishes,
Olivier Henley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:44:47 am by bigboy »

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »
I just got a used Phillips PM6680 Freq. Cntr.
And i'm playing with  TimeLab (made by John miles).
I'm using it with a Prologix-Ether GPIB adapter and a Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO.

I made an ADEV measurement (Frequency measurement , 1.000 Sec gatetime) , to show the freq stablity of my Rigol-DG1022 , using the TBolt 10Mhz as an Ext-Ref on both the PM6680 & the DG1022.

Here is the result.

Also an ADEV of the TBolt while connecting it to both the ext-ref of PM6680 , and Chan-A of the PM6680.

/Bingo

Offline xzswq21

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 06:20:08 am »
Hello
can I set the rise/fall time in Rigol DG1022 or Siglent Function generators? I want to buy a 20~30MHz AFG with this capability.

Thanks
❤ ❤

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:44 am »
Yes you can on the 1022 at least. 1022 goes down to 10ns rise. Don’t expect massive bandwidth at the high end though. I’ll just kick out sines after about 10Mhz. Here’s a thread where I did some tests with mine:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dg1022z-any-user-experience-with-this/msg1273277/

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf