Author Topic: Research proposal for embedded systems and electronics design scholarship  (Read 8176 times)

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Peace be upon you friends!

I applied for a scholarship to Japan called MEXT scholarship last year, but didn’t manage to succeed for some reasons. I am going to re-apply this year too (for 2017). The scholarship is 2 years research only (no degree), in the meantime, I can take the entrance exam to master degree, and then if I succeed, the scholarship will cover for the master degree (which is my goal).

My problem is the research proposal, as it is the most important paper in the scholarship. My previous one was “in general” as they said i.e. not specialized, perhaps I didn’t write it well… That is why I seek your guidance as all of you are more experienced than me.

What I really want to learn from that scholarship (or journey) is the following:

1-   Abilities to work as an electronics designer who works on designing electronics products.
2-   Master ARM-based MCUs and their development, which is the basis of today’s embedded systems (I think).
3-   Using RTOS like FreeRTOS or others in embedded systems, to be able to use that skill in real world projects and companies.
4-   Deal with HMI designs like TFT screen interfaces and stuff. Plus, other new technologies implemented in new products.
5-   Robotics design. Meaning the study of robots and how to design them (various types)… not necessary to be that much advanced though (as one can learn the basics, then sharpen his skills by time).

This is to have the ability (and the proper education and degree) to work as R&D electronics / embedded systems design engineer. This field out of all got my interest back in time, and thus I became a Mechatronics engineer… I had self-learnt many stuff that was not in the curriculum and practical work field that I currently work in.

So, what type of research proposal should I write? And most importantly, does it necessary to be a project? Like designing some robot or device? Because I don’t have a certain thing in mind, just want to study and master all that I mentioned above. Especially that the curriculum of the universities that I intend to apply for really suites all that (like literally!).

Can you suggest something? This is the main part of the previous proposal: http://pastebin.com/hgFL39dK (there are lots of “poetry”-like lines xD, please overlook them.) < it has more than that like intro and outline… I think I can write these myself.

Thank you all in advance!

Offline sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
Are you able to contact any of the professors at the uni? They might already have projects available for masters students to do?  ;)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Language, local and cultural differences make mee see some opposites in your text.

-what's your age?
-do you already have a master degree or not?
-do you already have a bachelor degree or not?
-are you enrolled into a university program, with teachers, structures, guidance?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
Language, local and cultural differences make mee see some opposites in your text.
*me

-what's your age?

Not important to the post at all. As I never mentioned age problem for the scholarship, as I applied once and advanced some levels before failing at the final stage. If age was an issue, I wouldn't even got in.

No, this was so obvious really. I said this: "The scholarship is 2 years research only (no degree), in the meantime, I can take the entrance exam to master degree, and then if I succeed, the scholarship will cover for the master degree (which is my goal)."

Meaning, I will apply for a research-only no degree scholarship for 2 years. And during that, I will take the entrance exams to master degree. If I succeed, I will enroll and the scholarship will be upgraded. This is my ultimate goal of it.

-do you already have a bachelor degree or not?

How can I aim for master and actually apply for a scholarship to it if I am without bachelor? reading what I said here makes it obvious: "This field out of all got my interest back in time, and thus I became a Mechatronics engineer".

-are you enrolled into a university program, with teachers, structures, guidance?

Moving besided "..." we find: "I had self-learnt many stuff that was not in the curriculum and practical work field that I currently work in"

I have finished bachelor in Mechatronics engineering and currently employed at a factory.

Are you able to contact any of the professors at the uni? They might already have projects available for masters students to do?

Well, it doesn't work like that. First, you have to design a research plan that a professor can agree on or at least near his own research area. Asking the professors to help you is not forbidden or bad, but no one will actually help as they want you to do all that, and they have no time to think of it.

These Japanese professors have their own research ideas and projects available on their websites. However, in the interview (and the application process) you MUST describe YOUR research proposal and convince them about it... Regardless of the universities or the professors. After the committee accept you (after processing your application papers and interview you with some exams), you are required to get an acceptance letter from the professor (which you should discuss it with him and get "I can supervise you" from him already).

I hope I made stuff clear now. All that I want is help regarding writing research proposal described above.

thanks all!   

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
OP, you list what skills you want to learn but I don't see the topic of your research. Try to think of an novel idea you want to explore our an interesting system or feature you want to build. As other said, looking at what the professors there do and even communicating with them can help.

Also, get help editing your proposal for correct English.

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor

Are you able to contact any of the professors at the uni? They might already have projects available for masters students to do?

Well, it doesn't work like that. First, you have to design a research plan that a professor can agree on or at least near his own research area. Asking the professors to help you is not forbidden or bad, but no one will actually help as they want you to do all that, and they have no time to think of it.

These Japanese professors have their own research ideas and projects available on their websites. However, in the interview (and the application process) you MUST describe YOUR research proposal and convince them about it... Regardless of the universities or the professors. After the committee accept you (after processing your application papers and interview you with some exams), you are required to get an acceptance letter from the professor (which you should discuss it with him and get "I can supervise you" from him already).

I hope I made stuff clear now. All that I want is help regarding writing research proposal described above.

thanks all!

Dont be too sure about this. *officially* you might be required to have an independent research proposal, but it may help a ton if that "original" research proposal aligns very well with some professors research area, and he happens to have couple of openings. Atleast thats how it works here cant speak for Japan specifically but cant see hw it will be different.

I talked with a bunch of professors when applying for M.S., and tailored my research proposals to their needs. I had couple of very good fellowships, so needless to say, I would highly reccomend you try doing that first instead of writing a proposal in vacuum.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist

thanks all!

Dont be too sure about this. *officially* you might be required to have an independent research proposal, but it may help a ton if that "original" research proposal aligns very well with some professors research area, and he happens to have couple of openings. Atleast thats how it works here cant speak for Japan specifically but cant see hw it will be different.

I talked with a bunch of professors when applying for M.S., and tailored my research proposals to their needs. I had couple of very good fellowships, so needless to say, I would highly reccomend you try doing that first instead of writing a proposal in vacuum.

Exactly, this is VERY common here in the USA. You are MUCH more likely to get in if your idea "happens" to align well with some of the work the professors are doing. I know many people going to grad school who researched the professors heavily before coming and tailored their experiences they talked about to the ones that they were interested in. Many even went as far as contacting specific professors to discuss ideas. The idea being it is harder for them to say no the more they know about you and the more you line up with what they want.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
OP, you list what skills you want to learn but I don't see the topic of your research. Try to think of an novel idea you want to explore our an interesting system or feature you want to build. As other said, looking at what the professors there do and even communicating with them can help.

Also, get help editing your proposal for correct English.

This is EXACTLY what I think I missed! THE TOPIC. This is what I want help with. There are nothing that comes to my mind regarding project ideas right now, What I am sure of is the skills written above. I do look on professors' pages but it is not enough to succeed the screening and stuff.
To be honest with you, I really want to build Vegeta's training machine that control gravity to make it harder for workout. loool I think it is impossible, but I will die trying anyway. I don't think this is a proper research idea. hhhhhhh

What English help? please give me some mistakes now to consider when I edit it.

I do contact professors and will consider asking them if they really willing to help. However, most of them didn't answer me directly, the foreign student department (or some similar name) did. They tell me: "Pass the embassy's screening and get the approval. Send it to us so we can give you a recommendation letter if the professor agree". It is more difficult than what I thought it is.

Plus, the scholarship is 2 years, the research must be big to fill the 2 years right? how did you did yours? Master degree is what I aim for, it is approximately 2 years... So, did your research was that big that it was distributed on 2 years?

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor

I do contact professors and will consider asking them if they really willing to help. However, most of them didn't answer me directly, the foreign student department (or some similar name) did. They tell me: "Pass the embassy's screening and get the approval. Send it to us so we can give you a recommendation letter if the professor agree". It is more difficult than what I thought it is.

Plus, the scholarship is 2 years, the research must be big to fill the 2 years right? how did you did yours? Master degree is what I aim for, it is approximately 2 years... So, did your research was that big that it was distributed on 2 years?

Let me elaborate on what I did before writing a proposal. first thing I did was to go on professor's webpages and go through their CV trying to figure out what kind of research they were in; if it sparked my interest than I would go through their publication/patent list and see if I like anything specific. I created a spreadsheet where I would create brief notes on their research. Note, that I had to do all that because even some rather famous profs didnt keep an updated websites. Maybe things are different now.

Once, I had a list of 5-6 profs, I emailed them individually mentioning very briefly that I liked XXX about their research and do they plan to take some students next year working to work on XXX sub-area.

ofcourse a bunch never replied, but a couple of them did, and that led to further ironing out of research topic. I never emphasized in the initial email that I was applying to the fellowship; I would rather mention something it in the passing like "BTW, I am applying for a fellowship too so if I can work in your group than I'll cost you nothing!" that was important here in states, since, most profs would much rather prefer an externally funded M.S. student rather than pay him from his/her own grants or dept money (saving those for phd students).

Here, most M.S. (by thesis) takes 2-3 years, but that's including couple of semesters worth of classes etc. Believe me, time passes quickly, and first few months are spent just getting up to speed with the research topic and exact area of research. That's why I said that no one expects a proposal to be fully ironed out, ready to go. All that happens after you actually start working on an area and after you perform an extensive literature search to gauge the existing state of knowledge.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
No, this was so obvious really.

... back in time, and thus I became a Mechatronics engineer…

In my area, people calling themselves Mechatronics engineer have a master degree in engineering.

I have finished bachelor in Mechatronics engineering and currently employed at a factory.
clares things up. That degree doesn't exist here, or at least, I didn't hear about it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:11:22 pm by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: Research proposal for embedded systems and electronics design scholarship
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:19 pm »
*me

how did you did yours?
Let's make it a find-the-typo thread.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:33:59 pm »
*me

how did you did yours?
Let's make it a find-the-typo thread.

LOL I wrote that on purpose to see if you care enough to counter attack me... and you did!

There are many universities around the globe that offers Mechatronics engineering bachelor degree. It is not odd at all.

bigdawg

I will consider your post. I will respond tomorrow.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 12:28:07 am »
LOL I wrote that on purpose to see if you care enough to counter attack me... and you did!
And I was so gentle to only pick 1 of the many errors and typos you wrote...

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 04:15:37 am »
And I was so gentle to only pick 1 of the many errors and typos you wrote...

As I said before, please give some of them to me in order to correct them. I may have a bad mistake that I keep repeating without noticing it.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 04:30:41 am »
ofcourse a bunch never replied, but a couple of them did, and that led to further ironing out of research topic. I never emphasized in the initial email that I was applying to the fellowship; I would rather mention something it in the passing like "BTW, I am applying for a fellowship too so if I can work in your group than I'll cost you nothing!" that was important here in states, since, most profs would much rather prefer an externally funded M.S. student rather than pay him from his/her own grants or dept money (saving those for phd students).

So you say I must write my own research proposal using the ideas of the professors I aim to study with. TBH, I still don't have any idea that I really like... Maybe this is my only problem!

About funding... the professors are not related to that thing. All they have to do is accept students, they are not involved with funding and stuff as they will never help with it nor interfere with it (they don't offer it either). Once they accept me, and I get the embassy's acceptance... then it will work fine.

Here, most M.S. (by thesis) takes 2-3 years, but that's including couple of semesters worth of classes etc. Believe me, time passes quickly, and first few months are spent just getting up to speed with the research topic and exact area of research. That's why I said that no one expects a proposal to be fully ironed out, ready to go. All that happens after you actually start working on an area and after you perform an extensive literature search to gauge the existing state of knowledge.

I don't have a problem with time, as I have other plans to do there xD. My problem is the idea. How to get one that suites ALL I listed above? Maybe this is the only thing I need help with.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 08:22:15 am »
TBH, I still don't have any idea that I really like... Maybe this is my only problem!

...I don't have a problem with time, as I have other plans to do there xD. My problem is the idea. How to get one that suites ALL I listed above? Maybe this is the only thing I need help with.
I think I know what your problem is.

You seem like someone who is more capable to start a business and end up with a multinational, than serving such a Research/PhD traject.
Of course, doing none of them is a possibility too.

For those who want to give a specific reply to this: please take account of the fact the description I gave applies to me too.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 09:32:15 am »
TBH, I still don't have any idea that I really like... Maybe this is my only problem!

...I don't have a problem with time, as I have other plans to do there xD. My problem is the idea. How to get one that suites ALL I listed above? Maybe this is the only thing I need help with.
I think I know what your problem is.

You seem like someone who is more capable to start a business and end up with a multinational, than serving such a Research/PhD traject.
Of course, doing none of them is a possibility too.

For those who want to give a specific reply to this: please take account of the fact the description I gave applies to me too.

Why you highlight personal pronouns? it is very obvious that the topic is about me...

Maybe you complicated the issue more than it actually is. I am lacking experience and ideas of a research, that is all. When I had an idea before, I turned it into reasonably good project alone... So the idea is the problem. Since I had none in mind, I thought of asking you about your experience.

Picking a random idea is not good too right? I lack ideas because I think I aimed towards the future career that I want, and listed required skills for it.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 09:51:44 am »
I have searched for some ideas and found something like mind controlled robots/home systems/systems... Do you think it is good for the research proposal? especially that they always ask "what is the benefit of your research?". I previously wanted to make something like a digital car dashboard system (control system not just output) inspired by e-mirai car idea... However, I didn't write it up because I saw some similar ideas.

For experts out there, does this project involve the skills I want to learn? or should I search for different ideas? I really appreciate your idea suggestions.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 03:53:23 pm »
I have searched for some ideas and found something like mind controlled robots/home systems/systems... Do you think it is good for the research proposal? especially that they always ask "what is the benefit of your research?". I previously wanted to make something like a digital car dashboard system (control system not just output) inspired by e-mirai car idea... However, I didn't write it up because I saw some similar ideas.

(Thinking loud)

Bring the joy of FBV to handicap people. You wear goggles and control a wheeled or drone robot with your mind or other minimal input. Later the robot can do things for you like aerial photography or fishing in a pond.

Looks feasible, interesting, and has social impact. It will help to find handicap people that will give you testimonies and feature requests.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:56:53 pm by zapta »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »

(Thinking loud)

Bring the joy of FBV to handicap people. You wear goggles and control a wheeled or drone robot with your mind or other minimal input. Later the robot can do things for you like aerial photography or fishing in a pond.

Looks feasible, interesting, and has social impact. It will help to find handicap people that will give you testimonies and feature requests.

So you say they are good ideas? can you specify a certain main project idea for example? I've seen some projects like mind controlled arm robot in the internet, so it is not a genuine idea or something. I don't know anything about mind control and its reliability too.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 12:58:20 pm »
I recently had an idea of a mind controlled robot with a vision. It gets controlled by mind and arm sensors to move its arms. Plus, there is a glass to see what the robot sees... What do you think of this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf