Author Topic: Rigol DS1052E dead. Help!!!!  (Read 7103 times)

Offline dlopezbTopic starter

Rigol DS1052E dead. Help!!!!
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:03:51 pm »
   Hi,

My Rigol is dead. I guess the problem was due a electric failure cut.
   I just opened and the bug  is in the power supply. The fuse was completely blown and the main IC, U1 near to the transformer, was almost destroyed so I can't read the part number. I'm only able to read the last lines and it says:
         TOP2(detroyed)
         69975A

The chip has 6 pins and is attached to a radiator and it is used like the CMOS transistor that handles the switched transform. Looks like a TO220 encapsulated.

Please help!!!! Any ideas about how to identify this part?

The PCB says "DS1000 series power supply PCB Ver 1.5 Rev.A"

Thanks in advance and best regards,

David

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
Re: Rigol DS1052E dead. Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »
Try searching for TOP246.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »
Sorry to hear.  How long did you have it?  Not that you can't repair it yourself, but is it still under warranty or did you mod it in anyway?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »
 There is no guarantee any more so I have to fixed by myself.
 Thanks, seems TOP246 is the one. I downloaded the datasheet and I have checked the pcb to draw a quick diagram to check the pins and those are exactly in the same location that was expected in the datasheet.
 The datasheet is for 242-249. All of them are the same but the power. 246Y is up to 125W in open  frame or 60W in non-ventilated place. I think that it is enough for the Rigol. 249Y is up to 250W in open frame or 12W in non-ventilated.
   I will try with the 246Y and if it doesn't work I will do with the 249Y.

I will let you know as soon as I get the part. 

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:28:27 am »
I assume this supply is a switchmode type.

Don't be surprised if other components are also faulty.-------If the fault was enough to cook the IC,the transformer

(It's officially a choke with extra windings,to be pedantic like the switchmode people are) will probably be faulty too.

It is often quite difficult to determine if a choke is faulty,unless you have a spare you can substitute into circuit.

I found the best way to test them was with an LCR meter,but you really still need  access to a good one ,to get an

idea of what the inductance & Q of a good one should be.

If you can't fix it,I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who will take it off your hands

& painlessly dispose of it. ;D

VK6ZGO

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »
Sorry to hear.  Keep us posted, I think this is the first time I've heard of a Rigol PSU failure since I joined eevblog, so be interested in what you find.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »
   Rigol is back again.

Finally I've got the part TOP246. My first try was not successful. The main capacitor and the bridge diode were also damaged. After replace them the power supply was fixed and the Rigol started work again.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The switch in the Rigol only cut one of the cables, so potentially the phase could to be all the time connected. Don't know where a pick voltage with Rigol disconnected could  have something to see.  
   My theory is that when I switched on, some pick voltage was thrown and that broke these parts. Who knows?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:51:21 pm by dlopezb »

Offline benjius

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 08:00:39 pm »
It's good to know Rigol uses these non obscure easy to find smps IC's top switch parts from PI are cool !

Offline quirmche

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 10:15:46 pm »
If you have any pics of your project, they would be great to see!!!! ;D ;D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:00:48 am »
Well done!

It's great to see someone fix a piece of equipment,instead of just moaning about the thing failing.

Not only is your Rigol back in good health,with many useful years ahead of it,you know a bit more about the internals of the device.

VK6ZGO

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:20 am »
Congratulations!  Happy for you.  Are you running it from 240V or 120V?

Rigol is back again.

Finally I've got the part TOP246. My first try was not successful. The main capacitor and the bridge diode were also damaged. After replace them the power supply was fixed and the Rigol started work again.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The switch in the Rigol only cut one of the cables, so potentially the phase could to be all the time connected. Don't know where a pick voltage with Rigol disconnected could  have something to see. 
   My theory is that when I switched on, some pick voltage was thrown and that broke these parts. Who knows?

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »
Good work!
Check the TOP246 temp.

Offline nono

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »
Hi,

Since I worked recently on my DS1052E power supply, I though I would set the record in case someone else need the exact switcher chip reference.
The U1 chip is in fact a TOP247YN.

There is a none-negligible difference with the 246. Let’s hope for the original poster that they overdesign this part (as it should).
My problem (in case someone gets the same issue) is that my Rigol just stopped working - nothing, completely dead.
The problem was not the TOP247YN switcher but the Line-sense resistor R10 (L pin(2) on the TOP chip). 2Meg resistor completely open. Replaced, worked fine.

Nono.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf