Poll

The software firmware modification to convert my Rigol 1052E to a 1102E ...

was completed by me and it worked without a problem
43 (58.9%)
was completed by me and it did not change my still working 1052E
1 (1.4%)
was completed by me and it caused my 1052E to malfunction, which has been repaired
0 (0%)
was completed by me and it caused my 1052E to malfunction, which has not been repaired
2 (2.7%)
has not been done as of this writing
27 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Rigol DS1052E to DS1102E Hack Poll  (Read 15982 times)

Offline saturationTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Rigol DS1052E to DS1102E Hack Poll
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:09:41 am »
This thread collates all failures of the firmware modification on Rigol 1052E scopes by its users.
Please post problems you've had with the mod, what you've done to fix it or if it has remained unfixed.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:55:14 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
Re: Rigol DS1052E to DS1102E Hack Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:45:50 am »
My DS1052E has its original firmware, no mods at all.  ;D

Offline ThunderSqueak

• Supporter
  • Dont be a freak... dont be a freak... dont be a ..
    • ThunderSqueak!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:35:26 am »
As of right now, I have not modded my DS1052E... I decided to try using the scope factory stock for now and can always do the mod later if I need too :)

Currently working with non-binary computing, no reason for it... just doing because I can ^^

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:01:14 am »
I'm surprised, even if the poll has a long way to go, there are a good many reporting they have not done the mod.  You get the impression from all the other eevblog posts that most folks are doing the mod.

I am so far as with these posts.  The risk of getting a dead scope that could not be user fixable far outweighs the benefit of having a 100MHz bandwidth I don't need right now.

What I think we need to work on is how to fix scopes that bricked on the mod, and get it back working.  That would make the mod less risky since there is a clear way to set it back to factory specs.

As of right now, I have not modded my DS1052E... I decided to try using the scope factory stock for now and can always do the mod later if I need too :)

dont do the mod for no reason, unless u ar dealing with 100MHz system or more that you want it to show up in your DSO so badly. if you do, be ready to face the probable consequences.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:04:04 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 01:19:40 pm »
i've modded mine, something screwed up

your's is the only one that I know that failed and that was basically due typing to much stuff in hyperterminal ,

about 200 people downloaded already the files form the usb mod post, so that makes easely 100 mods who went ok...

so i think the mod itself is quite safe, especially when using USB

The only other report I know of is actually a firmware update failure
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:24:01 pm by polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »
I've had the scope since 2 weeks ago but haven't gotten around to doing the mod. Should do that this weekend. Building an SMPS soon and definitely want to see the rise/fall times as accurately as possible.

Offline ThunderSqueak

• Supporter
    • ThunderSqueak!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »
I didn't do the mod because in my line of work I often see companies who sell two products that use the same parts... one will be "certified" as faster.  This simply means that said chip was tested and found to run stable at a higher speed and remain within spec, while the other chip was not.  I saw in the eevblog that they are doing some over-clocking?  Perhaps this is the case.  They test each scope after it is made and the ones that pass within spec when over-clocked are badged as the 100Mhz model, the one that didn't pass for some reason is badged as the 50Mhz.

Sure you can always attempt to make the slower version run as the faster version, in fact I see many people do this.  The result is usually the product fails prematurely or gives odd behavior.  Sometimes this is reversible, sometimes it is not. Often, it takes a while before you start seeing symptoms... so testing a product right away and saying it worked is premature. 

I purchased a 50Mhz scope and got a good deal on it.  I might as well get my money out of it before I risk trying to mod it.

Just my two cents :>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:34:03 pm by ThunderSqueak »
Currently working with non-binary computing, no reason for it... just doing because I can ^^

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »
There is one problem with this reasoning.

The ADC's are still getting clocked at the same rate.
The mod is simply lifting the analogue bandwidth, not the sampling rate.

Nonetheless, I have not performed the mod myself either.
The scope's noise is bad enough already.
I don't need more bandwidth to see more noise!

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 08:41:28 pm »

That's what the built-in bandwidth limiter is for.  I identified the filter early on and there are two control voltages on it that switch the bandwidth limit and the 50/100 MHz feature respectively.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 08:52:35 pm »
Just for the record, I have modded mine, modded another one that was not mine, and assisted in the modding of a 3rd (don't think either of those two guys hang out here). No trouble on any of them.

I used CuteCom (Linux) although RealTerm (Windows OSS) would do too. That way you can get exactly the string you want before sending it and make sure the line ends are set for LF. Greatly reduces any chance of error.

Offline MrPlacid

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:07 pm »
Can someone alter the poll, I voted for the wrong one. I should have voted for the first, but instead I picked the last one.

Offline ThunderSqueak

• Supporter
    • ThunderSqueak!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »
There is one problem with this reasoning.

The ADC's are still getting clocked at the same rate.
The mod is simply lifting the analogue bandwidth, not the sampling rate.

I admit, I have not read over every piece of rigol hacking threads on this forum...  been way to busy to do that.  I was just bringing up the fact that until I see how the scopes perform down the road after being modded, I don't really want to do it.  That and the fact I *DO* see over-clocked chips all the time from various manufacturers.  Meh, whatever :)  On a side note, I did save the files required for use later if the links no longer work down the road.   Gives me a chance to see how everyone else's mod turns out :)

Now, back to workworkwork   ;)

Offline MrPlacid

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 09:51:27 pm »
It's just a code to change a string in the o-scope. If you can change the string once, you can always change it back.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 04:16:24 pm »

so ok! follow yours... do the mod! fair enuf? i'm waiting for another hundrends of voters :)

I doubt everyone who does the mod succesfull will register here :)
But I think people would register if it did not work :)
The simple fact that the DS1052E to DS1102E threads have so many views and that for the usb guide alone (which obviously only count for a part of the mods) I see today 265 downloads of the DS1052E_to_DS1102E.zip file suggests that 100's of mods have been done succesfully ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:18:07 pm by polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline rpark1231

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 02:05:58 am »
I followed the USB for dummies instructions and the mod worked perfectly.

My scope arrived new with the 2.04 firmware. I downgraded and then upgraded to the firmware posted by Beerhunter after the mod was complete. This was on  Windows 7 64-bit using the Visa460runtime driver. I used an MD5 check to minimize the possibility of file corruption between pc and usb drive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:10:45 am by rpark1231 »

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 11:07:16 am »
Thanks for posting!  The poll is slightly misleading, if you read the mother thread on Rigol hack there is more than one person who has bricked their scope, but the majority report success.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf