Author Topic: Salvaging Old Electronics Parts and Save the World  (Read 8722 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Salvaging Old Electronics Parts and Save the World
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:08:00 am »
this few days, i'm struggling to scrap away my old stuffs, its a very delicate, detailed and not so easy task. i came across this square shaped black stuff i remember taken out of my old damaged crt monitor. almost got it tossed away, but curious i take my time opening the tape covering it, guess what? i found a good mass of winded laminated copper wire inside. estimating the length is around 2x(13+10)x120 wind = 5520 inches or 460ft. i'm still in the process unwindind the covering tape. save me a hassle ordering from ebay or local shop. so next time you want to throw your old electronic stuffs... think again. you may help the government and environmentalist to save the world!

ps: i have other salvaged parts with good mass that i would like to show, but until then, i need to sort all these stuffs out first. you may as well post your stuffs, will be a great learning process.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:15:38 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Salvaging Old Electronics Parts and Save the World
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:25:04 am »
It's a degauss coil, used to remove the magnetic field which builds up on the metal of the shadow mask and distorts the picture.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:26:57 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:48:18 am »
thanx Psi for the info. i'm not crt expert. So... it was a degauss, not anymore. it could be anything after this, inductor? transformer? i dont know, but thing for sure it will be a nice collection among my other stuff/stock. took me just a few minutes to complete the salvage circle, now need to get back to work. Cheers ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:29:22 am »
the little fella laying at the bottom is a bit hard to rewind, the larger canon laser like stuff is unsalvagable i think, so i may be leave it as is, or end it up in a dustbin :P

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »
we and in particular my dad dsimantle everything and save every scrap of metal, it's worth money too

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 01:18:23 pm »
my neighboor collect aluminium can and sell plastic bag, everyday smash the can to the cement ground to compact (make our environment more cheerful instead of silence, beside the barking dog in the night :D). i thought, this is what he bought the house from. another scrap metal seller, when i went to his house looking for cheap metal, there is a 15-20 feet high pile of junk standing next to the house. i said jeez, this is what feed him.

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:19:58 pm »
This thread is funny on so many levels. :D

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:39 pm »
This thread is funny on so many levels. :D

pray elaborate  ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »
i pretty much done with the sorting. so here it is:
d.jpg = 5.8kg transformer out of a hifi
e.jpg = 2.6kg transformer cant remember the origin
f.jpg = 1.2kg solid aluminium out of hifi iirc
so pretty much thats it! maybe not so heavy stuff by your scale :P

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 07:20:33 pm »
did you delete my post Simon?

one of them yes as it was made only to provoke and that's not neccesary ! the other no although it was a redundant one

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:21:56 pm »
and lastly... this is worth of 3KW++ liquid oil coolant transformer worth of 28.7kg altogether, so i'll know where to look for when i need nasty and dirty one. but no! this is not for salvage, this is still in working condition :P have a nice day!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:22:58 pm »
did you delete my post Simon?
one of them yes as it was made only to provoke and that's not neccesary ! the other no although it was a redundant one
thanx mod. at least i know ;)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:13 pm »
your welcome I hope I don't have to delete another provocatory post

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 06:21:13 pm »
You are not only saving the world, if you have the time to remove usable parts from your house hold electronics appliances and e waste, that you are saving money!!!  Copper wire is expensive today.  I am not going to go into the reason why copper prices went up.  I have my own conclusions for this.  I think my U.S.A. caused this, but it is not an electronics topic.  I de-solder use able diodes, capacitors, transformers, LED, and chokes from my non working Bosch cordless drill battery charger.  I save the old power cord.  I wished, that I saved the plastic case, too, unique.  You could that copper wire to make a coil, choke, or toroid transformer.  If you could test some of the components and reuse them, then better than in a land fill rubbish pile by the city.  Some semiconductors have been stressed, but use able.  Be careful, some inductors have toxic oils like a 1981 Mazda pickup truck spark plug inductor has an oil coolant polychlorinated bipheny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl

I have been shocked by electrolytic capacitors, before about 1 inch in diameter.  I sort of liked the feeling, but do not want to repeat that sensation again my e waste.  I am the e waste trash man in my block.  I help my neighbors dispose properly their e waste like a dropped flat screen HDTV by Funai, South Korea, 8 feet (2.5 m) long fluorescent tubes, battery recharger, and old computers to the proper places here. 

Lawsen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:14:25 pm »
yup nice story ;) about the power cord, if only things like printer here can be bought cheaper without the power and usb cable, it will much better as my power & usb cords are piling up, i dont see it to be reducing from my recycling. and about the printer, i told everybody i know if i remember that, dont throw their printer away, give it to me, there are lot usefull stuffs inside. i've made collection of several dead printers and put in my father house, the next time i went there, its all burnt up. luckily it was my father burning it, if not >:( about the lcd monitor, i got one broken LG lcd i dont know which chip is damaged, i was thinking a 14" lcd connected to Arduino? :o but later, it is saved in my store ;)

ps: and i got shocked by big caps too several times, and i dont care much about copper price, i can get it pretty much free from my "salvaging technology", its almost everywhere! i can sell it if i want to.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:20:40 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 12:55:47 pm »
it's worth shorting out any big capacitor, particularly those rated for a highish voltage

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf