Author Topic: SAMA PC PSUs with 80+ Gold certificate  (Read 4443 times)

Offline sasaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
SAMA PC PSUs with 80+ Gold certificate
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:11:01 pm »
I'm in the process of making list for a new PC in order to replace 10 years old one desktop started to give a signs of death...

During the search for valuable components, I have notice many new players on the market. One give my attention is SAMA, which makes PC PSUs fully modular, with 80+ Gold to Titanium certificate for a price other offer similar Bronze certificate  PSUs, not necessarily are fully modular.

I have looked specifically at Armor 750W which spec. and board itself looks quite nice and clean:
http://sama.ltd/portfolio-item/armor-750/

Then looking at some actual detail testings and reviews, I have found only one, not for Armor gold series, but for Sama Forza Titanium 800 W (in short, this is conclusion page):
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SAMA/FTX-800-2/12.html

I did not believe... Is it possible this is faulty specimen tested?

Is there more reputable sites specialized for testing computer equipment? I'm not aware of any than simple google search for specific reviews.

Or at end what? To keep with high-prices branded SeaSonic, Corsair, Thermaltake... ?
Or Is it really that hard to make quality switching power supply with reasonable price?
The 30+ years professional desktop software designer and software engineer

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: SAMA PC PSUs with 80+ Gold certificate
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:26:00 pm »
I did not believe... Is it possible this is faulty specimen tested?

Is there more reputable sites specialized for testing computer equipment? I'm not aware of any than simple google search for specific reviews.

Or at end what? To keep with high-prices branded SeaSonic, Corsair, Thermaltake... ?
Or Is it really that hard to make quality switching power supply with reasonable price?

What don't you believe? They clearly did very in depth and well thought out testing.
It had the highest efficiency of all supplies they tested, and in the end they gave it 9/10. So I'm not sure what the major concern is?

Yes it is hard to make a ~89% efficient switching supply at low cost, that works over a wide voltage and temperature range.
Although I do see the Corsair AX 860W ($170) is cheaper or similarly priced to the SAMA and gets a higher review score. But it is quite old so I'm not sure if its still a valid review.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 05:55:06 am »
Thank you all for valuable comments.

For 1000 Euro worth configuration, from high-end PSU I would expect to provide stable power supply for specified long life (100 000+ Hours) with all protections well covered,  with no compromise for all critical parts and proved in practice...

"This unit's most severe problem is its ridiculously low hold-up time, which, to make matters worse, is accompanied by a very long power-good signal. SAMA obviously knows of this issue since its engineers built the platform, so there is no excuse. The fan profile is also very aggressive, and the lack of inrush-current protection is something I cannot find a good reason for. The over-temperature protection's triggering point is also very low for a PSU that has an official 50°C rating, while the single EPS connector is a major omission in a unit with a capacity of 800 W."

If this particular PSU is rated by 8.9/10 and still suffer from such serious problems which may harm or short life for all 1000 Euro worth components, naturally several alarms are turned on...

But yes, as pointed by blueskull - YMMV, unfortunately with any particular purchased unit, regardless manufacturer. I'm only trying to minimize chance to actually get problematic one, but still, high price and long warranty is not insurance for that, as well. AFAIC, no one gives more than 5 years for PSUs, usually 3 years, but then again, the good PSU is first step which will provide stability and long life for all others quality used components.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:00:58 am by sasa »

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:49:57 pm »
Thank you all for valuable comments.

For 1000 Euro worth configuration, from high-end PSU I would expect to provide stable power supply for specified long life (100 000+ Hours) with all protections well covered,  with no compromise for all critical parts and proved in practice...

The review unit was $200 though: "The SAMA FTX-800-2 is only available in Asia and is priced at close to $200."

"This unit's most severe problem is its ridiculously low hold-up time, which, to make matters worse, is accompanied by a very long power-good signal. SAMA obviously knows of this issue since its engineers built the platform, so there is no excuse. The fan profile is also very aggressive, and the lack of inrush-current protection is something I cannot find a good reason for. The over-temperature protection's triggering point is also very low for a PSU that has an official 50°C rating, while the single EPS connector is a major omission in a unit with a capacity of 800 W."

If this particular PSU is rated by 8.9/10 and still suffer from such serious problems which may harm or short life for all 1000 Euro worth components, naturally several alarms are turned on...

None of those are a direct indication of short life IMO, just annoyances. If the fan comes on early and fast, its loud, but won't affect the life of the PSU much. Inrush could blow a breaker, perhaps stress the psu components a bit more as well. and the ambient temperature issue seems concerning.

There are many brands out there that give the appearance of quality, without reliability, as I'm sure you know.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 05:40:43 am »
None of those are a direct indication of short life IMO, just annoyances. If the fan comes on early and fast, its loud, but won't affect the life of the PSU much. Inrush could blow a breaker, perhaps stress the psu components a bit more as well. and the ambient temperature issue seems concerning.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SAMA/FTX-800-2/5.html

His states was quite clear about:

"The hold-up time is very low, which is a shame as this is a premium PSU. To add insult to injury, SAMA increased the power-good signal's hold-up time by a lot, which makes this PSU a possible danger to your hardware. The voltage on the +12V rail is only 10.22V..."

And:

"A lot of inrush current can cause the tripping of circuit breakers and fuses and may also damage switches, relays, and bridge rectifiers; as a result, the lower a PSU's inrush current of right as it is turned on, the better."

As mentioned, the Forza Titanium series is not, but Armor Gold is on global sale, at least I can buy it from local computer shop. However, Armor Gold series model is not tested yet (at least I have found none), which also says for itself and parallels can only be drawn accordingly to already tested higher series, until someone reputable perform and publish detail test.

As I do not buy new desktop each year, every component must be carefully chosen, especially PSU and I would certainly not take any risk.

Thanks to you all again, for valuable comments.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:48:15 am by sasa »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf