Author Topic: Same Sex Marriage Postal Survey (Australia)  (Read 5252 times)

Online HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Same Sex Marriage Postal Survey (Australia)
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:22:35 am »
I know political threads can get de-railed rather fast but I'm hoping this one stays civil (and Dave lets it slide).

For those of you who don't know, over the past month or so, the voting population of Australia has had a chance to have their say whether same-sex couples should be allowed to marry. I won't go into the political details about whether or not it should have been a plebiscite or whether Government should have just got on with the job or not.

For the 99% of you who are heterosexual, this probably won't interest you or you just don't give a crap and that's perfectly fine. But for the minority of the population this effects, today marks an important day in that almost 62% of those who voted agreed with same-sex marriage.

I post this because the decision effects me directly and plenty of your own co-workers, friends, family, favourite YouTubers etc... and while most of us (me included) are sick to death of hearing about this topic, I think it's important to recognise that the Australian Government are finally moving with the times and recognising equality.

Now... if only they'd get on with the job of fixing the National Broadband Network!

The following users thanked this post: cdev, tooki, JPortici, djos

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
Re: Same Sex Marriage Postal Survey (Australia)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:46:17 am »
Congrats :) and I’m Hetro, and you’re mistaken ;)

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:51:52 am »
It has been a horrific process with vitriol from both sides. I now hope it goes away and we can get on with life. It won't though.

Edit because that sounded like a harsh reply to the original post. It wasn't intended that way.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:04:43 am by BradC »

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:56:16 am »
I hope it makes some people happy so congrats. Also as a hetro I never understood how one section of the community could dictate how another should behave.. Mostly due to relgions I guess.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:57:42 am »
Yeah. Same religions that think sex with choir boys is OK.  >:D

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:01:05 am »
Pissing off the X-tians who think it’s any of their business is an added bonus.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 11:03:52 am »
Nope, doesn't affect me directly but I'm really pleased that people who love each other are allowed to make that commitment if they choose to and then enjoy the same rights.*

Let's hope Turnbull can keep his word to get it into law by Christmas and let's also hope that other 'civilised' countries come to the same decision really soon.

* And let's not call it 'gay' or 'same sex' marriage, it's 'just' marriage (hard won right I know) but that's another conversation that seems to upset people.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 11:12:20 am »
Gefeliciteerd! And about time for Australia, one would think  ;D

I always wonder what it is that makes some people so very opposed to same sex marriage. They probably feel threatened but I fail to see the reason why.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 11:15:36 am »
I always wonder what it is that makes some people so very opposed to same sex marriage. They probably feel threatened but I fail to see the reason why.

Me too! I'm sure gay couples can be just as "under the thumb" as straight couples, right?

;-)

Seriously though, I'm not about to rush out and get married, my partner and I have a lovely home and a young daughter. We're happy as it is, but it's nice to have the option there if we want it. Weddings are too bloody expensive in my opinion though, I'd rather buy more vintage computer stuff and I'm sure he'd rather buy some new games or a new graphics card. Speaking of money, I'd rather put some aside so when our daughter grows up, she's got a fighting chance to buy her own house in Sydney (or where ever), with the current prices in Sydney and Melbourne, you almost need to be a millionaire.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:22:16 am by Halcyon »

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 11:23:00 am »
Congratulations!

I'd personally prefer that the government just got out of the business of regulating marriage or basing laws/entitlements on your married or unmarried state entirely. But at least treating everyone equally badly is a start.

I'm from New Zealand. Anyone can marry, including non-citizens, and many gay Australians have been going there to do so. You can fill out the marriage license application online, go into the office and sign a document on arrival in NZ, and marry three days later. Australia (or any other reasonable country) then recognises it. But better than that, the government treats people with an established relationship the same whether they are married or not. For example if you get a job in NZ and  want to get a visa for your partner to go with you, you only have to show you have an ongoing relationship, not that you're married. Being married is of course quite good evidence of a relationship :-) But it's not the only evidence accepted.

As it happens I got married last week in Denmark (to someone of the opposite sex). I've been working in Moscow the last three years, so it was a bit closer than NZ. Russia needed all kinds of crazy documents, but Denmark only needed my passport and a declaration that I'm not already married. Like NZ, they are happy for both people to be foreigners, and same sex couples are fine. You can present your documents one day and get married the next day, so it's even faster than NZ.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 11:27:00 am »
My brother is homosexual so this is definitely something I support.

By the way has anyone had to deal with homophobia in the workplace? I've had a blazing row with some narrow-minded idiot about this before.

Russia is a strange place. It was one of the first countries to decriminalise homosexuality, yet is now one of the worst places in the world to be gay.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 11:27:16 am »
As it happens I got married last week in Denmark

Congratulations to you!  :-+

By the way has anyone had to deal with homophobia in the workplace?

Thankfully not. Then again, I don't push my opinions and way of life onto other people. I've come across several people who don't agree with my views but we get along just fine! However I guess it helps that everyone in my immediate workplace has a Master's Degree as a minimum with some doctorates. Coincidence or correlation? ;-)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:31:24 am by Halcyon »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 11:29:21 am »
As it happens I got married last week in Denmark (to someone of the opposite sex).

Congratulations :)

Me too! I'm sure gay couples can be just as "under the thumb" as straight couples, right?

Everyone deserves a fair shot at being miserable ;)

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:12 am »
Still waiting for the sky to fall in here... ^-^

Seriously...its been like new years eve here in the CBD. (Melbourne)

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:53 am »
Weddings are too bloody expensive in my opinion though, I'd rather buy more vintage computer stuff and I'm sure he'd rather buy some new games or a new graphics card.

They can be but they don't need to be. It cost us 395 euro to the agency that arranged everything (including the local government fee), plus another 22 euro for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Copenhagen to stamp it with an "Apostille" so it would be recognised in Russia. Other than that you need your flights, budget about 100 euro a night for a decent hotel, 15 - 25 euro each for lunch or dinner in a good restaurant. We also spend 350 euro on a photographer, 150 euro for hairdresser, 30 euro for the bouquet. We spent a whole week in Denmark, travelling around in a rental car (Qashqai turbo diesel, which surprisingly I didn't actually hate) and staying in nice hotels and spend I think a total of just under 3000 euro, just over 3000 USD. You could do it a lot cheaper. Not having guests helps -- family and friends can look at the photos after :-)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 11:40:59 am »
Seriously...its been like new years eve here in the CBD. (Melbourne)

Likewise in Sydney. I dare say that there will be a lot of people off sick (hung-over) tomorrow... which is great for me as peak hour traffic will be far less painful. See, already it's having a positive effect on the roads and the economy. ;-)

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 11:43:02 am »
Hello!

We have the law since 2010 and nothing has changed. I mean, the world is still spining as usual. I don't know if same sex couples have the same oportunities to adopt a child (I don't have the stats) and surrogate pregnancy is still in discussion for everyone.
These things could be still sensitive issues that weren't fully discussed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:54:40 am by HoracioDos »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 12:09:49 pm »
However I guess it helps that everyone in my immediate workplace has a Master's Degree as a minimum with some doctorates. Coincidence or correlation? ;-)

Probably coincidence. Some of the most arrogant, opinionated, bigoted and closed-minded people I know are also the most educated people I know.

Offline WorldPowerLabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
Well, having been married at one time (for over a decade), all I can say is that I no longer see the point in modern society.  At one time, perhaps it made sense.  Anymore, when one partner or the other can bow out for literally any reason.... you're gambling with your future economic wellbeing.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 07:12:21 pm »
Whatever, it's freedom of choice which is the important thing - and that was denied.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:01 pm »
Weddings are too bloody expensive in my opinion though
The trick to keeping a wedding affordable is not to invite people you see less than once a year. Let them wait for your funeral >:D And don't go overboard with expensive suits/dresses you'll never wear again.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 08:43:50 pm »
Well, having been married at one time (for over a decade), all I can say is that I no longer see the point in modern society.  At one time, perhaps it made sense.  Anymore, when one partner or the other can bow out for literally any reason.... you're gambling with your future economic wellbeing.

Unfortunately it's necessary for visas for certain countries.

And in others (such as NZ), after three years living together "you're gambling with your future economic wellbeing" in precisely the same way and amount anyway.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:31 pm »
Gud on ya straya.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 10:36:25 pm »
People should have a right to do what they want when it comes to marriage. Now with that said, I have to say this, and I'm still angry about it.....

When Oregon passed the same sex marriage law a couple years ago....this is what they did, and it really made me angry.

The day the law went active, they allowed the marriages to proceed that day. You could go down and get a license, and get married the same day....IF you were gay.

Now, this meant that straight people STILL had to wait the standard 3 days after filing the marriage certificate to get married before a judge, priest, family, and friends.

That was F'ing wrong. That gave the gay people more rights then straight people. That really pissed me off. 

To me, now, it tells me that if you are a minority (Gay, Trans, Bi, Mexican, Australian, whatever), you have more rights than a non-minority here in the US. You get 'special' privileges that a non-minority would not normally get. That's f'd up in my opinion. Equal rights....my ass!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:34 pm »
When Oregon passed the same sex marriage law a couple years ago....this is what they did, and it really made me angry.

The day the law went active, they allowed the marriages to proceed that day. You could go down and get a license, and get married the same day....IF you were gay.

Now, this meant that straight people STILL had to wait the standard 3 days after filing the marriage certificate to get married before a judge, priest, family, and friends.

That was F'ing wrong. That gave the gay people more rights then straight people. That really pissed me off. 

To me, now, it tells me that if you are a minority (Gay, Trans, Bi, Mexican, Australian, whatever), you have more rights than a non-minority here in the US. You get 'special' privileges that a non-minority would not normally get. That's f'd up in my opinion. Equal rights....my ass!

Yep! 100% agree with you there. You see similar inequality when it comes to Indigenous Australians. On almost every application form there is a box you tick if you're an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and you don't need to prove it, you just need to "declare" you are.

You have these political nut-jobs who jump up and down and scream for equality and for Aboriginals to be treated just the same as anyone else (and largely they are, you'll find most Australians couldn't give a crap where you come from or what colour your skin is), but then on the same breath, they expect all these extra services, allowances and to be treated as special. I'm sorry, but no! Sure if you come from a disadvantaged community, then fine, I have no problems with government assistance, but it shouldn't be because of your heritage.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:46:31 pm by Halcyon »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 12:40:20 am »
I have no fundamental problem with gay couples being given legal recognition - but what does concern me is the risk of "over-compensation" that may appear - such as the Oregon marriage wait time - and other concessions that will disadvantage non-gay couples.

This question comes from the "No" campaign where people from other countries presented issues such as school curriculum imposts that were promoting gay agendas.  If there was an equivalent that promoted hetero agendas, then I might concede an argument exists for doing so - but there never has been any hetero curriculum of which I am aware.

Can anyone tell me: What is the basis for these claims?  Is there any truth in them or are they just scaremongering?

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 12:43:03 am »
On the whole it's mostly scaremongering. There are some valid outliers in the hysteria but most of the issue appears to be with a proportion of the population that still believes people choose to be gay.

Edit for autocorrect booboo.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:15:35 am by BradC »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 12:43:44 am »
People should have a right to do what they want when it comes to marriage. Now with that said, I have to say this, and I'm still angry about it.....

Actually, that's a spin on the truth, although it obviously makes a good story for riling people up.

The truth is that judges and county clerks in Oregon had, and still have, the ability to waive the 3-day waiting period "for good cause", even before the law change.

There's also the flip side to that story, which are the handful of county clerks or judges that initially refused to marry gays in Oregon, even after the law changed to allow it.

Bottom line is the new law wasn't biased toward certain groups, it's some of the people implementing and/or resisting change that are the short-term issue.

I'm sure AU will have it's share of such stories as law meets reality. People are people, after all.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:35 am »
The truth is that judges and county clerks in Oregon had, and still have, the ability to waive the 3-day waiting period "for good cause", even before the law change.

Fair enough.  After waiting for years (potentially) that would qualify as "good cause" to waive the 3-day wait, in my book.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 12:50:23 am »
thats the way i heard it on the news and thats why i'm pissed. i didnt know about the judges waiving the 3-day rule. but in either case....i guess every single gay couple that day had 'special circumstances' that got the 3 day wait period waived for them, and them only.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 12:51:00 am »
What the heck is "Promoting Gay Agendas"?
I'm pretty sure it is only closeted authoritarian theocrats who believe that heterosexual people can be peer pressured or otherwise convinced to turn gay.
They think that because they themselves are desperately trying to suppress their homosexual thoughts, that everyone else is the same way.
Its no coincidence that eventually most of these types are eventually caught with rent boys or similar.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:53:30 am by Dubbie »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 01:20:09 am »
In the grand scheme of things, on the scale of importance, human rights are important, and the arguments that some people put forward against them are a zero.

Whats better, people marrying one another, or killing one another? I know which one I would prefer to see. As somebody who grew up protected from but later, being hurt deeply by a similar, quite cruel kind of discrimination - against children of unmarried parents, I know what thats like and its utterly evil. It's changed my outlook on life.

Who cares what people's sexual orientation is? It really doesn't matter - what matters is how somebody is to other people.

Really, we're all in this (planet) together. I am very happy for Australia.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:57:04 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: tooki, CJay

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 02:04:07 am »
When gay marriage was legalized here in the US, I heard some pundit on Faux News trying the old “Slippery Slope” argument. He basically said gay marriage will eventually lead to people marrying horses, dogs and even toddlers. Seriously. I just don’t understand the logic; it literally broke my brain for the rest of the day, trying to figure out how someone can get from marriage between two consenting adults to horses. I just... What?!

Anyway, I’m glad to see Australia is joining the growing list of countries with proper marriage laws!

By the way, this isn’t just good news for gays and lesbians, but also bi individuals as well!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 02:15:01 am »
When gay marriage was legalized here in the US, I heard some pundit on Faux News trying the old “Slippery Slope” argument. He basically said gay marriage will eventually lead to people marrying horses, dogs and even toddlers. Seriously. I just don’t understand the logic; it literally broke my brain for the rest of the day, trying to figure out how someone can get from marriage between two consenting adults to horses. I just... What?!

Anyway, I’m glad to see Australia is joining the growing list of countries with proper marriage laws!

By the way, this isn’t just good news for gays and lesbians, but also bi individuals as well!

Did i read that someone in america married a railway station? 

On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:07 am »
^ OH MY, what's wrong with her breasts?! Did some implants melt? :wtf:

Nevermind...moving on...

Dangit, you beat me to referencing that bullshit!
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:19 am »
I know political threads can get de-railed rather fast but I'm hoping this one stays civil (and Dave lets it slide).

I won't let it slide, please no off-topic stuff like this on here.
Thread locked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf