Author Topic: Samsung CLP315 Laser Printer Problem  (Read 13000 times)

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Samsung CLP315 Laser Printer Problem
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:07:22 am »
when i print more than one pages. the 2nd page and later will always have shadow from previous page printout. is the drum unit reach its working life, ie cannot reach proper temperature to fully transfer the toner onto the (previous page) paper? or the heating element in the printer body is dying? if i can confirm that the drum is broken then i will buy another drum replacement, but if the body heater is broken, then maybe i should get another laser printer? please help.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Samsung CLP315 Laser Printer Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:13 am »
Sounds as if the drum isn't being properly discharged so is keeping a charge from the previous image.

It's been a while since I played with photocopier/laser technology but I believe that (at least in some) there is a discharge process which causes any remaining toner to fall off the drum after most has been transferred to the paper.  The drum is discharged then recharged again (so as to allow the light to form a pattern on it.

I suspect there's a conductive brush somewhere on the drum assembly that may have a broken ground connection.

Just my thoughts -- I'm no laser printer tech.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:42:15 am »
Can be drum or fuser. Measure the repeat, and see what the distance between repeats is. If the drum is part of the toner cartridge then measure the diameter and see if this corresponds, though more likely is a worn fuser film, especially with a high page count unit. Both are replaceable as spares, though the drum normally comes with the cartridge. Often the fuser is a clip in, but many need the unit to be stripped down to get to it.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:46:41 am »
Pretty much what RMCR says ...
Coincidently, our CLP315 (310) refused to print any more last month, just got one of those idiot "something is terribly wrong"
fault codes. Having a lot of spare toner, I just bought a couple more 2nd hand units off ebay, cost app $30 EACH !! Made a
Frankenstein out of the new organs, and viola .. enough toner and spares for AGES ! Never found the fault, but for the price,
I didn't care. Maybe it's worth trying too?
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:24:23 am »
Can be drum or fuser. Measure the repeat, and see what the distance between repeats is. If the drum is part of the toner cartridge then measure the diameter and see if this corresponds, though more likely is a worn fuser film, especially with a high page count unit. Both are replaceable as spares, though the drum normally comes with the cartridge. Often the fuser is a clip in, but many need the unit to be stripped down to get to it.
i'm not sure what repeat means but i guess its about repeating black lines? no. the case is... if i print george bush "blue" face on the first page, then i get a nice george bush "blue" face. but if the 2nd page is obama's face, then i'll get obama face with fainted full complete george bush face in the background, only this time yellowish instead of blue, there color inversion during the process (red->blue, blue or green -> yellow, black -> smeared or fainted black). ironically, if i print n pages, i'll get the first and last (1, n) page clean, but page 2 to n - 1 has the previous page shadow ??? in the mean time i'll prepare myself mentally for teardown, clean up and if possible repair, drum's price is quite significant. if any other possible idea, i'll appreciate it, so i'll have many possible choice during repair. thanks.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 03:02:37 pm »
Colour printer..... You need a new transfer unit then. It is a band of plastic that is used to build up the image before it is transferred to the paper. You will find a wiper on the one end is not working, it is supposed to scrape off all unused toner into the waste tank after each cycle.

I changed one in a HP 3500N earlier this year, it was cheaper than the cartridges for the printer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:48:35 pm »
Colour printer..... You need a new transfer unit then. It is a band of plastic that is used to build up the image before it is transferred to the paper. You will find a wiper on the one end is not working, it is supposed to scrape off all unused toner into the waste tank after each cycle. I changed one in a HP 3500N earlier this year, it was cheaper than the cartridges for the printer.
exactly! the name is "belt transfer". your experience gave you merit. this is exactly what i figured out repairing just now (drum looks ok). i spent most of the time cleaning it up. i lifted up the scraper/wiper so they contact the plastic roll better, its a bit better now, but not entirely recovered. next part upgrade will be it :( problem concluded.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf