Author Topic: Scanner z-lid  (Read 899 times)

Online Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Scanner z-lid
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:20:19 pm »
Oh boy. Bought a new laser printer this morning after being fed up with the 10 minute inkjet ballet that resulted in a blank page.
Instead of buying another 30$ Canon ink cartridge (after finding out the 15$ clones are much worse in my printer), I bought a HP color laser, it was 33% off.

Why is the lid of the scanner not on an extensible hinge? That was the most clever feature (only one) of my Canon printer; the scanner lid could be pulled up so it presses flat on thick documents.

Something similar was on my Canon scanner that I bought a decade ago...

So what gives? I looked and looked, and this silly printer (HP M377dw) doesn't have this feature.

Is the extensible cover protected by 50000 patents and an army of lawyers?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Scanner z-lid
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:02:31 pm »
Costs more to make the extra mould parts to do that, and an extra minute in the plant to assemble it, which is a added cost not every user uses. they probably had a "market focus research group" that suggested that users rarely use the platen to make a copy, but almost always use the ADF instead, so cut the extra parts out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf