Author Topic: Scope power cord  (Read 10199 times)

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Scope power cord
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 10:11:55 am »
I have just recieved a TM503 with one of those cables if your still after it, as i'll have to replace it for an AU one,

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 03:15:48 pm »
All of the Tek scopes since at least the mid 70s use a standard IEC (computer type) power cord. Ideally though you want one that has a right angle socket and a plug that has a cord clip molded in. That way you can leave it connected to the scope and wrap it around the cord storage pegs when you put the instrument away. If it's always set up on the bench though that doesn't really matter.

The Tektronix cords with the right angle IEC connector and cord clip are better than any of the modern replacements I have been able to find though.  Modern cords are much thicker and the clip was molded directly into the plug gripping really tight like the cords on the old Hoover vacuum cleaners.

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 04:48:42 pm »
I've looked off and on for a right angle IEC/NEMA 5-15 with the cord going "down" (toward the ground connection) instead of to the "side" (inline with the hot/neutral) but have had no luck. The Rigol DS1052E seems to have been designed for this type, but mine came with a standard type that sticks straight out to the left and is always in the way.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 06:33:52 pm »
These are the cords I tried which are the only ones I found with a right angle IEC and a clip but they are too large in diameter and the clip barely works.  One is 2 meters and the other is 3 meters.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=17506_10_B1virtualkey68600000virtualkey686-17506
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=17507_10_B1virtualkey68600000virtualkey686-17507

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 06:47:29 pm »
One has to wonder why they bother molding a cord clip into the plug that is too small for the wire the plug is molded onto.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 08:09:49 pm »
One has to wonder why they bother molding a cord clip into the plug that is too small for the wire the plug is molded onto.

The clip is not too small for the cord's wire; it just hardly grabs it so it twists lose way too easily.  In practice when wrapping the cord around the guides on the bottom of the oscilloscope, the clip does not work at all.  The cord's clip was just badly designed.

The cord's wire is thicker, 5/16" versus 1/4", than the original Tektronix cord so it will not fit on the storage guides when it is wrapped up.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 10:23:54 pm »
Does Tektronix still sell the cords? They were used on a lot of instruments. If they do I suppose they probably want 10x a reasonable price for such a thing. Power cord is not exactly a fancy new technology, you'd think everyone making them would have that nailed by now.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 12:29:28 am »
Does Tektronix still sell the cords? They were used on a lot of instruments. If they do I suppose they probably want 10x a reasonable price for such a thing. Power cord is not exactly a fancy new technology, you'd think everyone making them would have that nailed by now.

If Tektronix is selling replacements for their own power cords, it is a well kept secret.  I am sure they would be happy to sell you a complete oscilloscope.

Every once in a while I look for good replacements but so far I have found nothing.  Maybe there is some law or regulation forbidding winding power cords up for storage or including clips on power cords.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 01:05:39 am »
Tek does sell parts, I inquired about the BNC connector with readout coding pin as used on Tek probes and they quoted $16 which is not unreasonable for a custom part like that, dunno what shipping is going to cost though. Look in the manual for your scope and I bet it will list a part number for the power cord.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 07:43:43 am »
 :)

source: Tek Manual, 7854
greetings
Martin

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:30 am »
Unfortunately those are not part numbers, just option numbers that you can specify when ordering a scope.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 02:30:17 am »
As far as older Tektronix gear with recessed NEMA 5-15 style male connectors for AC Mains input, as I mentioned earlier I get a standard NEMA 5-15 extension cord and do the necessary surgery to make it fit.  In most cases this entails simply slicing off the nub that is normally present on newer extension cords on the side opposite the ground pin opening of the socket.  I assume that this nub is present to prevent people from inserting the plug 180 degrees off with its ground pin winding up alongside the receptacle rather than entering the hole it's meant to go into.  (It's sad that people are that stupid, but I've little doubt that preventing that from occurring is why the nub is there  ::) )

Here are photos of the one on my 575.  (The cord is a 1' long one purchased from McMaster-Carr for Tek scopes on carts where longer cords would leave a lot of excess wire to deal with.)

Plugged in:

Modified and original receptacle end:

Alternate view:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 11:23:51 am »
hello Pat,
Tek made also some cables where the NEMA is also round and fits exactly in the plug.

greetings
Martin

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 01:33:17 am »
I've looked off and on for a right angle IEC/NEMA 5-15 with the cord going "down" (toward the ground connection) instead of to the "side" (inline with the hot/neutral) but have had no luck. The Rigol DS1052E seems to have been designed for this type, but mine came with a standard type that sticks straight out to the left and is always in the way.
Take a look at these adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/POWER-ADAPTER-SOCKET-DEGREE-Wall-mounted/dp/B00S0O42TI/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IEC-C14-Male-to-C13-Female-Power-Adapter-Plug-UP-90-Angled-Supplied-for-TV-/222092159586?hash=item33b5b96a62:g:H0sAAOSwg3FUmQy1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KZM5FB/

This page lists the directions canonically (and seems to agree with other suppliers): http://www.stayonline.com/connector-plug-angles.aspx

You seem to need a "C13 up". Googling for "C13 angle up" led me to these, among others:
http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=25897
https://www.warehousecables.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=WC540815
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:39:20 am by tooki »

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 04:27:32 am »
Up angle, eh? Sure enough, that's exactly what I've been wanting. Thanks for the info.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:00 am »
Yep, you can get C13s in the full set of up, down, left, and right angle. You'll pay for it, but you can get 'em.

StayOnline there aren't cheap, but I've used them before, quality seems okay. They'll make pretty much anything you like to order if they don't already stock it (no up or down angles to order, though, guess they don't have the moulds).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:33:03 am by Monkeh »

Offline bsalai

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:22 am »
I have just recieved a TM503 with one of those cables if your still after it, as i'll have to replace it for an AU one,

Do you still have this? A friend gave me a 491 spectrum analyzer circa 1966, and it would be perfect for that.
Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brad, W2EK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf