Poll

Should there be a separate section for each blog?

Yes
23 (46.9%)
No
9 (18.4%)
Meh, I'm not fussed either way
17 (34.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Separate Forum Section For Each Blog?  (Read 17310 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Separate Forum Section For Each Blog?
« on: August 04, 2015, 12:38:17 am »
AvE Youtube channel viewers have been requesting a forum, and Mr AvE has asked if it's possible to have a separate section of the EEVblog forum for his channel rather than set up his own.
What does everyone think about that idea?
Blog owners could request their own forum section where they can be moderator and post/discuss their own videos.
So rather then have all channels lumped under the one "other blog" forum section, people can read only those channels that interest them and ignore the others (or ignore all).
That way there is less forum fragmentation in the community in general, and smaller channels can benefit from the large EEVblog forum community.

And if so, how should this be implemented?
I'm thinking a separate top level forum section entirely like we have the PCB/EDA, and then a section for each channel that wants one.

Offline photon

• Regular Contributor
Re: Separate Forum Section For Each Blog?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:47:12 am »
If the channels are of general interest to EEVBLOG, I see no issue. It may in fact add a lot of new info and views.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:49:50 am »
If the channels are of general interest to EEVBLOG, I see no issue. It may in fact add a lot of new info and views.

Of course, yes, only electronics related blog channels would be allowed.

Offline photon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 12:53:34 am »

I, of course, trust your taste of what is appropriate. Cast a wide net!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:11:29 am »
What about moderation policy? They'll have to be 100% compatible (both ways) or each section sets own standards?

Well, yeah, that might get a bit tricky, but I could limit moderation so that all serious stuff like bans still have to go through the existing moderators.
A fairly minor problem though that will work itself out I suspect.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:14:19 am »

I, of course, trust your taste of what is appropriate. Cast a wide net!

AvE for example isn't just electronics, but would certainly qualify, huge overlaps there.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 01:27:09 am »
How about cat (the ones that purrrr all the time) related channels?
OK more serious... having 'all' the electronics Youtube channels under one roof would be useful.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:50 am »
OK more serious... having 'all' the electronics Youtube channels under one roof would be useful.

I agree.
Already Mike, Shariar, and Alan are three biggies that post their videos here. Martin has his own forum that's doing ok I think.
And I've seen others try and set up their own forum but don't get any traction which is a shame.
It could be a real useful central forum for up-and-coming bloggers.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:35:32 am »
I'm not necessarily stating it's a bad idea, but the forum is already too big for me to keep up.  A couple more big hitters would make it impossible.

One would have to switch from "show unread" to picking individual sub forums instead.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 01:50:39 am »
I seem to be completely out of the loop as I have no idea what "Ave" is.

Anyhow I just went and looked at the "other blogs" section and while some like Mike and Alan have forum names reflecting their channel, people like Shahriar don't so subsections named after the blogs would be a good thing

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 01:51:55 am »
One thing I like about this forum is the moderation.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 01:53:16 am »
I seem to be completely out of the loop as I have no idea what "Ave" is.

Anyhow I just went and looked at the "other blogs" section and while some like Mike and Alan have forum names reflecting their channel, people like Shahriar don't so subsections named after the blogs would be a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/videos

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 02:05:56 am »
One would have to switch from "show unread" to picking individual sub forums instead.

+1 for this "low pass" filter  >:D , hope there is a SMF Add on for this.  :-+

Just fyi, the latest forum's (updated July) statistic -> HERE e.g.: New posts is now about 700 posts/day.  :o

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 02:10:47 am »
Due to the shear number of people posting on this forum, I can't really look at everything around. At this stage there is way too many posts to monitor them all and if AvE that does mostly non electronic not much resembles electronic videos is just going to majorly overload the content. Not to mention then others would start to get involved and where does it stop after that.

Unlike some user that can easily go through every message I have to look at titles only and scan this way. So if a title is non-informative then it is disregarded. I would also be turned off on mis-represented titles that appear electronic and end up not being that.

For me I am a new YouTube Blogger and still learning the ropes. My content is mostly electronics which is posted here if possible, but I have some woodworking, Metal or mechanical working and astronomy videos that I do not even think to entertain on this site. The same should apply for any other video blogger. It would get this forum way over the top in content.

The only real advantage to EEVBlog is the number of users to this site may increase dramatically that could assist Dave in getting more revenue from advertising. There will be a fine line to me posting on this forum and remain subscribed. I suppose some user wouldn't careless but how many other would be in the same boat is unsure. If a I miss a day of monitoring this site, I am overwhelmed by the number of pages to look at.

Personally I am quite happy to post individual discussion on each relevant forum related to my video posted.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 02:42:42 am »
Electronics is a very wide field. People involved are often using cnc, chemical processes, structural engineering methods, graphic arts. Just to make a simple product like an mp3 player how many specialties are involved?

If a graphic artist had a youtube channel and it shows his/her approach to front panel design I'd like to see it here. I'm not sure that would qualify for a spot but that could be evaluated and if the channel wanders off then I know it would lose it's privileges.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 03:02:15 am »
While I'm for the idea of collecting all the smart people here, I don't think AvE has anything to do with electronics or education. I'm subscribed to his channel, but it is mostly trashy stuff with a few exceptions. It is like glossy magazines for geeks, I'm not entirely sure it belongs here.
Alex

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 03:04:41 am »
Just to make a simple product like an mp3 player how many specialties are involved?
But this forum focuses on the electronics part of the deal. I'm sure there are arts forums that have  industrial design subforums.

By the same token, marketing is an essential part of modern electronics life cycle. Should we invite marketers here as well?
Alex

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:11 am »
Just to make a simple product like an mp3 player how many specialties are involved?
But this forum focuses on the electronics part of the deal. I'm sure there are arts forums that have  industrial design subforums.

By the same token, marketing is an essential part of modern electronics life cycle. Should we invite marketers here as well?

Marketing and things of that nature are discussed here all the time. My thinking is that when a new subsection is allowed it will have already been checked. I'm also sure that Dave will read them the "riot act". Break the rules and you will have to go, is that not sufficient?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put a sticky at the head of each section. No conspiracy theories, aliens, perpetual motion machines or cake recipes.   

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 03:50:53 am »
I think AvE is an awesome channel! I really appreciate the hacker attitude combined with genuine mechanical knowledge and experience. And also extremely funny!

But as for the forum question -- I'm vaguely concerned about whether this forum software is up to the task at the moment. I mean, using AvE forum as an example:
-- Being able to see AvE forum posts at the same time as EEVBlog forum posts is essential for AvE forum to reach any kind of critical mass. If I have to specially visit the AvE forum on a separate site, and there isn't much life there, I'll pretty quickly stop checking there and it'll just fizzle out. Not to mention the first-time registration inconvenience.
-- However, as mentioned by others, the "unread messages" section would just become a jumble of EEVBlog, AvE, w2aew, signal path, etc etc posts, and so in that sense it becomes an everything forum where you're automatically subscribed to everything, which understandably is not what everyone wants. (Though I personally am OK with it, the lists of bloggers in this thread are basically my subscription list in YouTube, I fully appreciate that other people have different tastes).

This is a software problem -- I know the site admins/Dave may hate me for suggesting this, but if there's some kind of feature/mod whereby you can choose that "unread messages" respects a whitelist or blacklist of forum sections, then each individual user gets to choose whether the forum stays pure EEVBlog from their perspective, whether they want an all inclusive jumble of everythingness, or indeed, if they decide that they love EEVBlog and blog X but hate blog Y, they can have their dream forum too. That way, everyone's happy.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 03:52:10 am »
Marketing and things of that nature are discussed here all the time.
Yes, in relevant sub-forums. We are not inviting top 3 marketing YouTube channels to create separate sub-forums here.

That being said, I'm mostly "offended" by AvE. Other people mentioned here are perfectly fine with me.
Alex

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 03:52:25 am »
I'm not necessarily stating it's a bad idea, but the forum is already too big for me to keep up.  A couple more big hitters would make it impossible.

That is inevitable with any forum this large, and that is why there is an "Ignore Boards" option.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoreboards;u=3
So any new boards need not impact your "Show unread" list.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 03:54:41 am »
-- However, as mentioned by others, the "unread messages" section would just become a jumble of EEVBlog, AvE, w2aew, signal path, etc etc posts, and so in that sense it becomes an everything forum where you're automatically subscribed to everything, which understandably is not what everyone wants.

It should be noted that it already is like that.

This is a software problem -- I know the site admins/Dave may hate me for suggesting this, but if there's some kind of feature/mod whereby you can choose that "unread messages" respects a whitelist or blacklist of forum sections, then each individual user gets to choose whether the forum stays pure EEVBlog from their perspective, whether they want an all inclusive jumble of everythingness, or indeed, if they decide that they love EEVBlog and blog X but hate blog Y, they can have their dream forum too. That way, everyone's happy.

The existing Ignore Boards option should do this, although personally I have not tried it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 03:59:43 am »
Each one will be a value judgement and not only do you have to weigh up the value of the content but also the risk if you get it wrong. Once you start down this path where do you stop.

You stop at channels that don't have appreciable level of electronics involved.
Case by case basis of course. For example, Ben Krasnow's Applied Science channel I'd say would still fit in even though it's mostly not electronics.

I am content enough to see a few posts relating to Mike's, Alan's or Shariar's new video content within the existing forum structure. I wouldn't object to others also doing that.

That's what is being suggested, just have it bit more organised than it is now. So if you liked Mike's video's and not Shariar's you could ignore one and not the other. At present you can't do that in the "other blogs" section.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 04:03:18 am »
-- However, as mentioned by others, the "unread messages" section would just become a jumble of EEVBlog, AvE, w2aew, signal path, etc etc posts, and so in that sense it becomes an everything forum where you're automatically subscribed to everything, which understandably is not what everyone wants.

It should be noted that it already is like that.
So I get that there are currently a handful of individual posts about certain videos. But a more legitimate concern may be a massive surge of machining, turning and milling questions from AvE's followers -- that would seriously dilute the electrical content of the forum. Not sure if this is a legitimate concern or not, just throwing it out there.

The existing Ignore Boards option should do this, although personally I have not tried it.
Oh cool, I hadn't seen that. It works, I just tried it now. This should completely address everyone's concerns about the "unread mail" section becoming full of milling-related questions (provided that new members joining us from AvE post in the right section, and that section exists!)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 04:04:33 am »
BTW< The "Ignore Boards" section says this:
This page lets you ignore particular boards. When a board is ignored, the new post indicator will not show up on the board index. New posts will not show up using the "unread post" search link (when searching it will not look in those boards) however, ignored boards will still appear on the board index and upon entering will show which topics have new posts. When using the "unread replies" link, new posts in an ignored board will still be shown.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf