Author Topic: SERIOUSLY? ... Photobucket - you HAVE to be joking!  (Read 4175 times)

Offline BrumbyTopic starter

• Supporter
SERIOUSLY? ... Photobucket - you HAVE to be joking!
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:37:59 am »
As the title says....

Offline station240

• Supporter
Re: SERIOUSLY? ... Photobucket - you HAVE to be joking!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:47:00 am »
You'll need to refresh the page CTRL+f5 if you've view that image from say the forum.

Also just use the existing thread.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/warning-photobucket-changed-its-tcs-lots-of-inlined-images-gone/

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:55:38 am »
Imgur.com

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:03:18 am »
Just use forum's attachment feature please, c'mon, don't understand why still use those free external hostings ?

The only reason I could think of is the sense of owner ship maybe ? Like when someday you hated this forum you can delete all your attachment ?

All you need is just ask forum moderator or Dave to delete all your posts if you want to, and Dave did that in the past.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:37:11 am »
Did people not see that Photobucket refused to serve up images ON THEIR OWN SITE

Also just use the existing thread.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/warning-photobucket-changed-its-tcs-lots-of-inlined-images-gone/
Fair comment

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 06:42:48 am »
Wait...you only just heard?
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 07:00:41 am »
Just use forum's attachment feature please, c'mon, don't understand why still use those free external hostings ?

The only reason I could think of is the sense of owner ship maybe ? Like when someday you hated this forum you can delete all your attachment ?

Also the inelegance of having the little attachment thing on the bottom, the fact that to have the image appear inline you have to post, inspect the URL of your own image, and then edit the post; and also a (perhaps shortsighted) desire to go easy on EEVBlog's servers.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:08:18 am »

Because it is more convenient.

Uploading as an attachment means

1. Limited to 1M per file
   2. Limited to 2M total per post
   3. Can upload only one file at a time
   4. Have to remember how to embed attached photos into the correct place in post instead of just as thumbnails at the bottom
   5. You might want to post the image somewhere else as well, not nice (maybe not possible) to do that if they are uploaded as attachments
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 07:39:25 am »
Wait...you only just heard?

I knew about the new Photobucket policy weeks ago ... and the substitution on third party sites - but to do it on their OWN site?

That's the point of this thread - that they are doing this ON  THEIR  OWN  SITE.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 08:01:09 am »
Do you have referer headers disabled in your browser? That's how they (and a lot of other sites) detect "hotlinking" --- if the referer header says you're coming from a different site, they block access. In this case it seems Photobucket might be taking the more extreme measure of also blocking access if there is no referer header.

Of course, there are workarounds. With which I can see all Photobucket-hosted images even after they decided to do that. ;)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 02:29:18 pm »
It's more convenient. Also imgur for instance will auto resize and recompress the images. If I need to share multiple images I can just drag and drop them into the imgur window and then just link them one by one throughout my post.

I do use the forum attach feature if I just need to link one image.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »
Photobucket is a joke. Has been for a very long time.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 03:34:31 pm »
Of course, there are workarounds. With which I can see all Photobucket-hosted images even after they decided to do that. ;)

Thanks for this tip.  I found that the RefControl extension for Firefox does the job.

Install it: http://www.stardrifter.org/refcontrol/

Then add this rule:

photobucket.com <Forge>

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:39:19 pm by edavid »

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 05:09:34 pm »
Photobucket is a joke. Has been for a very long time.

<rant>
I was unimpressed when they took ftp away from the free accounts - and now wrangling through their UI is a nightmare. Ads coming at you from left, right and centre - literally - as well as from the top.  I have yet to try to access the 'Library' of an account without having to close a minimum of 3 Ads.  And just when you're focussing on something in particular ... WHAM another ones obliterates the whole screen and you have to click on "Proceed to Site" to get back to where you already were.
</rant>

I think I'd be happier spending a couple of dollars a month on a cheap hosting plan, just to have some space to host my own pics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf