Author Topic: Server Outage during Live Stream  (Read 788 times)

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
Server Outage during Live Stream
« on: March 19, 2018, 02:51:46 am »
Hi Everyone.

For those that were following the live stream and had problems accessing the forum. The website came under DDoS attack as Dave went to perform the draw for the Scope, across this period I had to block 50 IP addresses hammering the website with a combined total of over 10,000 requests per second.

Those that are suggesting we use CloudFlare, we already do. CloudFlare should have prevented this (or at least blocked the worst offender at over 1000/sec requests), but it failed to do so and simply proxied everything through.

If you have been inadvertently blocked by mistake (which means you likely cant read this anyway), please contact me with the IP address that has been blocked and I will lift the restriction.
This information has also been posted to Twitter where you can DM me if you are unable to access the forum.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:55:16 am by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline station240

• Supporter
Re: Server Outage during Live Stream
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:35:09 am »
Thanks gnif

I thought it was suspicious the forum magically stopped working during the prize draw. Watching the replay as missed the livestream, also a lot of glitches in the audio sync around the time of the draw. 

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
Re: Server Outage during Live Stream
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:05:07 am »
Thanks gnif

I thought it was suspicious the forum magically stopped working during the prize draw. Watching the replay as missed the livestream, also a lot of glitches in the audio sync around the time of the draw.

Dave's server was not involved in the live stream at all, any glitches there would have been YouTube or the encoding software... perhaps even Dave's internet was a little busy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf