Author Topic: Should these ICs have been packaged better?  (Read 1687 times)

Online HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Should these ICs have been packaged better?
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:40:46 pm »
I recently ordered a small quantity of some SOIC-14 ICs from RS Components. They came packaged loose in static-shielded bags, 5 to a bag. And when I say loose, I mean the bare IC - not in cut tape, or any other container. Outer packaging apart from the anti-static bags was only the usual RS paper bag plus the final padded envelope.

:scared: :palm:

My initial reaction is that this is terrible, and that they could have been damaged during shipping (bent pins, etc). Before I complain to RS, does anyone else agree?

At least they added a yellow warning label on the anti-static bags saying they are MSL-2 and should be baked before reflow. But no actual precaution against moisture... ::) (I previously ordered some of these parts from Farnell, and they sealed them in the bag together with a desiccant pouch and a moisture indicator card.)

Oh, and speaking of Farnell... Look what I saw earlier today:

FINALLY!! An option to persist the 'In Stock' and 'Exclude US Stock' options. :clap:

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Should these ICs have been packaged better?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:44:56 pm »
My personal opinion is that it's not that big a deal. If they were lose, yeah they could knock around a bit, but unless they were hit or crushed, it wouldn't bend or break anything (I mean it would bend or break if they were hit/crushed anyways). Honestly, be glad they are smart enough to use ESD safe packaging. Two motherboards off E-Bay, no ESD safe packaging on either, and two DOA boards.

I've had cards, board, etc, not shipped in ESD safe packaging and about 33.33% of the time they come up busted.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:40:40 pm »
RS have always been terrible at packaging - SOICs in bags is standard. They do offer production packaging for larger qtys though
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
Guess there's no point complaining if this isn't unusual for them.

I suppose I've just been lucky never having had any chips from them not in tape.

Just looked at the production packaging option for the ICs: in a tray. I guess for regular packaging they just nab some out of a tray and toss them in a bag. Still think it's a bit slapdash. :--

Not sure why RS even have them in trays. The previous ones I ordered from Farnell were on tape. And the manufacturer doesn't appear to have separate part numbers for different packaging. :-//

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:57:43 pm »
Guess there's no point complaining if this isn't unusual for them.

I suppose I've just been lucky never having had any chips from them not in tape.

Just looked at the production packaging option for the ICs: in a tray. I guess for regular packaging they just nab some out of a tray and toss them in a bag. Still think it's a bit slapdash. :--

Not sure why RS even have them in trays. The previous ones I ordered from Farnell were on tape. And the manufacturer doesn't appear to have separate part numbers for different packaging. :-//
I wouldn't relay on RS to accurately state tray vs. tape on their website - if it's a part that normally comes on tape, that's what production pack will be. And thay might fold it  :palm:
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:23:23 pm »
It's not ideal, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The problem I have is receiving ICs from China that are not even in any sort of ESD protective bag. More than once I've received them stuck into ordinary white styrofoam wrapped in plastic wrap. Miraculously those actually worked still.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:13:59 pm »
Well, I got some IC's from China that were just in plastic baggy in the plain white plastic bag - came with the legs sticking out and bent over - 1 missing leg.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf