Author Topic: Show us Your Wall Wart Pile(s)  (Read 7561 times)

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Show us Your Wall Wart Pile(s)
« on: March 23, 2017, 07:41:57 pm »
Just added another one to the pile - from a failed Black & Decker screwdriver -  9V 100mA. It's quite amazing how many pile up. I use them here and there from time to time, sometimes changing the connector. I just can't throw them away.

Show me your wall wart pile - I know some of you can easily out-do my pile.  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Show us Your Wall Wart Pile(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »
I have an even bigger pile than that, and yet I never seem to have quite the one I need.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:50:16 pm »
I recently had an overhaul of my pile, pretty much dumped most linear DC plug packs, unless they had some special features.

I kept the T-800 charger, just in case I needed it in the future.  :-DD

Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:05 am »
Most of mine seem to be of the 9V and 12V variety. Less are of the 6V, 7.5V, and 5V - came from old cordless phones, routers, radios, and who knows what. Some simply step down the line volts to a lower AC like 9V.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:34:27 am »
I recently had an overhaul of my pile, pretty much dumped most linear DC plug packs, unless they had some special features.

I kept the T-800 charger, just in case I needed it in the future.  :-DD

Those are the ones I always keep, since they're not horribly noisy!
Other than that, I generally keep any decently made ones with proper safety approvals, they come in handy.  Just wired one up to a small water pump for a project my wife was working on.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 08:32:06 am »
 :-\
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:10:26 am »
At my hackerspace we keep switching ones over 5 W, and send the others to recycling unless there's something especially useful about them. We usually write the specs on the side in large text with a gold paint marker, and strap the coiled-up cord to the side of the unit with a zip tie, both to make digging through the drawer to find a suitable one easier. I'll try to remember to get a photo next time I'm there.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:16:44 am »
:-\

Oh Yea! That's what I'm takin' about!  :clap:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 02:05:18 pm »
TerraHertz - my pile would come close to that ... but I think you would just edge me out.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 03:46:11 pm »
I don't have much of a pile of them. Most of mine have some kind of device associated with them (or will be useful for something else), and are scattered around all over the place.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 03:51:13 pm »
Yeah I prefer the old iron transformer type in many cases too, the output is cleaner and they are much more reliable. I replaced the wall wart on my router with an old transformer type after going through 3 or 4 of the switchmode type. I re-capped them a couple times, others blew up beyond reasonable repair. I don't think any of the switchmode adapters lasted more than a year or so. Iron transformer wall warts are getting harder to find, the switchers are everywhere.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 03:54:07 pm »
Another thing people might not consider initially too is the other end - the power connector. Sometimes they can come in handy, especially if you need an odd one and you happen to have one on a saved wall wart. Simply cut it off and splice it on as you need - observing the correct polarity of course.  8)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 04:07:58 pm »
The photo shows my primary stash.  There are a couple of smaller stashes elsewhere.  I always find myself questioning my understanding of statistics when I look for a suitable wall wart.  I usually have to go through 90% or more of the pile to find something suitable.  Even if I am not trying to match the connector too.

Do you guys also accumulate chargers?  I have a similar stash of battery chargers, most aimed at NiCads, but a sprinkling of Pb and Lithium chemistry battery chargers.  They seem too good to pitch, but I haven't repurposed one yet that I recall.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 05:00:47 pm »
The photo shows my primary stash.  There are a couple of smaller stashes elsewhere.  I always find myself questioning my understanding of statistics when I look for a suitable wall wart.  I usually have to go through 90% or more of the pile to find something suitable.  Even if I am not trying to match the connector too.

Do you guys also accumulate chargers?  I have a similar stash of battery chargers, most aimed at NiCads, but a sprinkling of Pb and Lithium chemistry battery chargers.  They seem too good to pitch, but I haven't repurposed one yet that I recall.

That happens to me with everything. Just last night I was looking for a dual power diode to repair the PSU in an old oscilloscope and I went through my entire drawer of small power semiconductors and the very last one I came to was a perfect sub for the part I needed.

I have a BC700 for AA/AAA cells and a couple of multi-chemistry chargers for my RC hobbies and have found that's about all I need. The others I put in the donation pile I take to the local thrift store.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 12:21:25 am »
This would be a good place to mention a silly 'life hack' I saw, on 9gag I think. Nice way to keep cables in order, by recycling the humble...
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, knks, Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 12:24:00 am »
Good idea! ^^^

Online Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 01:09:54 am »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 05:12:02 am »
I've started using zip lock bags.  No issues with cables getting snagged.

"One of these days" I am thinking about going through the lot and write the V & A specs on the bag - and the open circuit voltage as well.  Not worrying about the plugs because I can change them if need be.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:10 am »
Just thought I'd post what 84 laptop chargers look like.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »
That plus a few more somewhere else.

Chucked a bunch not long ago though...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 02:06:28 pm »
I'm using velcro type stuff for most cables.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 04:30:57 pm »
I disect the HV capacitors from unused power supplies. So I only have piles of dead circuit boards. >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 12:27:08 am »
Apparently you guys haven't heard of rubber bands .. you can buy bags of them for less than 5-10$, and in various widths and thicknesses for example

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Rubber-Bands-Size-432/dp/B000783OSA/
https://www.amazon.com/Business-Source-Rubber-Bands-Assorted/dp/B003SBU94U/

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 01:06:28 am »
I usually save old wall warts "just in case" and I now have a 14 liter plastic box full of them, but over the last 10-15 years "just in case" has happened maybe twice.

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 01:16:02 am »
Wouldn't be worth saving the linear ones since transformers are boing replaced by little SMA chargers? I like the old ones because they don't interfere with my SDR. Amazing how one little SMA can totally ruin the spectrum burying everything below the noise floor. f I had enough I would go to my neighbors and replace all their sma chargers with linear ones. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf