Author Topic: Show your Multimeter!  (Read 511042 times)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: Show your Multimeter!
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2012, 02:58:13 am »
How much did you buy your Sanwa for? I'm going japan at the end of the year so i'm definitely going to get some meters

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2012, 03:17:27 am »
How much did you buy your Sanwa for? I'm going japan at the end of the year so i'm definitely going to get some meters

It was a long time ago, so I don't remember what I paid, but list price today is Y6800. You can usually get a little discount in Akihabara if you ask for one. "Makete Itadaketara..."

I noticed on eBay that they are available in the US for $50, including shipping.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:19:18 am by JuiceKing »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2012, 05:30:07 am »
uhoh ... 100 bucks

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2012, 10:43:42 am »
It's a mystery how the eBay sellers are making them available for half the price in Japan...with free shipping worldwide from Shanghai and Hong Kong, no less. If these eBay specials are for real, my guess is that Japanese customers are getting a raw deal on a meter that's manufactured in China.

The exchange rate was something like Y130/$ when I lived there, but today its Y78/$. If you earn and spend in Yen, these fluctuations aren't so noticeable, but a different story for foreign visitors.

When it comes to multimeters you don't need, surely you're better off selling than buying in Japan!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:32:31 pm by JuiceKing »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2012, 03:02:30 pm »
Bummah!
Looks like i'll buy UNI-T proven series for now.
Proven as in "not shitty but good" < That's the mantra for the UNI-T stuff that isn't horrible

Oh i just saw a Victor 86E ... same chipset as UT61E and 0.05% accuracy(!) at least that has backlight Only 40SGD (Same price bracket as UT61E if buying from china DIRECTLY not aliexpress)  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:11:55 pm by T4P »

Offline glicos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2012, 11:59:34 am »
Here's mine

First my main multimeter used for bench, Fluke 867B Graphical Multimeter that i can't live without, esp its Component Terst function for "power off" troubleshooting:

Then may analog with tautband movement, Wheeler W-599T and in my opinion is also a must in troubleshooting> I think this is only available here in my place.

And last, for my field work, Fluke 87III (LCD display says it all)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:03:27 pm by glicos »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:30 pm »
Then may analog with tautband movement, Wheeler W-599T and in my opinion is also a must in troubleshooting> I think this is only available here in my place.

http://www.allimeter.cn/new/showroomview.asp?id=146 or YH-377T brought to you by Suzhou Allimeter Electrical & Mechanical Industry Co., Ltd.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline glicos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2012, 02:20:28 pm »

http://www.allimeter.cn/new/showroomview.asp?id=146 or YH-377T brought to you by Suzhou Allimeter Electrical & Mechanical Industry Co., Ltd.
[/quot]

Thanks for the link!! Nothing is original on this part of the world...... ;D ;D everything has it's equivalent...... :o

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2012, 07:24:59 pm »
Here is mine.

Offline perfect_disturbance

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2012, 10:50:39 pm »
Here are mine just got the Agilent today.

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2012, 12:15:47 am »
My beloved EX210...

I'm not sure how "mini" it is compared to the others, but the size and IR are very handy. I was trying to measure my forehead temperature near a cat, I am still recovering. I last used it to measure my toast's thermal time constant.

Ahem... Sort of spawned in interest out of Dave's EX330? suggestion, wanted to have something different, and it was on sale for $60 or so on eBay!

I would have wanted cap measurement (will get a fluke, or better, an LCR later) and for frequency/duty measurement...I've already got something lovely behind that to measure *funny feelings somewhere*
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:18:23 am by MmCoffee »
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2012, 04:51:37 am »
Updated. Recent acquisitions include Simpson 260-6XLPM analog VOM and 373 analog milliampmeter, the dual Hameg HM8011-3 bench DMMs, and a cheap, mystery-meat LCR meter labeled only "4070L" from eBay that tends to read a bit high, but at least it is consistent. The red one in the middle showing all 8s is a Extech EX31X rebadged as a Sears Craftsman (my knock-around-the-house/toolbox meter) and the inevitable accumulation of $3 cheapies up top that have their place in the world (as long as that world is DC and not much over 12 volts).

Not shown is an assortment of older Fluke and Racal-Dana bench jobs that are too crusty to trust anymore. Oh, and my trusty RCA VVTM, a WC-97C, complete with optional high voltage (10kV, 1 gigohm) probe, plus a Viz clone of the same RCA VVTM for parts.

Aside from a Fluke 87 and perhaps a better LCR meter, whats left to get? I mean, I love collecting these things and all, but from a functionality standpoint, I think I pretty much got it covered.  :-/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:54:01 am by bullet308 »
>>>BULLET>>>

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2012, 04:21:18 pm »
I have a capacitance meter just like that yellow 4070L.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »
How well does your 4070L work for you? Mine is very useful even though it tends to measure everything about 10% high in all ranges. Its predictable and can be compensated for, but still annoying. Wondering if I can recal it somehow...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:27:38 pm by bullet308 »
>>>BULLET>>>

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »
Here are mine just got the Agilent today.
Is that the 1242b?
I'm seriously thinking about getting that one too.
Could you maybe write down your first impressions of it? or maybe even a review?
If you like, check out my blog (german):
http://h-reg.blogspot.de

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »
Found something old in the junkbox, a Triplett model 60 type 2. Not sure about the age, probably late 70s / early 80s.

Interestingly it has inverted plugs. Also notice the range switch mechanics, it looks like it uses wooden inserts. The switch itself feels very nice.
Also someone seems to have "repaired" the fuse with a piece of wire

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2012, 08:59:19 pm »
and a cheap, mystery-meat LCR meter labeled only "4070L" from eBay that tends to read a bit high, but at least it is consistent.

Made by vichy/victor

• Regular Contributor
Re: Re: Show your Multimeter!
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2012, 03:37:35 am »
Is that the 1242b?
I'm seriously thinking about getting that one too.
Could you maybe write down your first impressions of it? or maybe even a review?

Sure I haven't had it for long but my first impression is favorable it seems very accurate the build quality seems better than my Amprobe. I like the features. Very configurable some people complain about the slow continuity mode but for some applications I like a meter that waits for a steady connection before alerting. I like the logging capability the place I ordered mine from was backordered on the Bluetooth adapter because of the free with purchase promotion going on. But I look forward to logging data to my phone. I like the variety of temperature functions including differential temperature and ambient temperature overall a great meter for 200 bucks.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2012, 03:39:41 am »
Oh and it only comes with 4mm probes that was kind of a let down. Guess I'll just have to order some longer ones.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2012, 06:27:38 am »
IF they didn't people are going to complain about agilent giving them CAT II probes on a CAT III meter
But i'm not sure about one thing though, if i recall correctly agilent used to give both the shrouded CAT III probe and the CAT II probe set U1169A for the U1272A

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2012, 07:41:10 am »
My Agilent 1252 came with a nice etui, long good silicon cable, four probes ( shrouded and normal, two ver good clip on crocodiles, three clipon mini grabbers with 20 cm extra thinner cable and two ultra tin very long ( about 10 cm) neeldelike tips. All thos things go on the not-shrouded probes)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2012, 02:27:50 pm »
They must include a full probe kit with their more expensive meters. I looked at the documentation and it seems like the 4mm probes are all that's supposed to come with this one. Don't get me wrong their nice silicon leads and good quality probes but I would have also liked a 19mm set. But I can get an u1169a for 30 us dollars and have an extra set of leads. So not a super big deal.

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2012, 02:34:13 pm »
How well does your 4070L work for you? Mine is very useful even though it tends to measure everything about 10% high in all ranges. Its predictable and can be compensated for, but still annoying. Wondering if I can recal it somehow...

Mine is not very accurate also but it works for its price. I don't use it much anyway. Have an ESR meter that works for me most of the cases (mine measures only capacitance).

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2012, 03:29:20 pm »
But I can get an u1169a for 30 us dollars and have an extra set of leads. So not a super big deal.
Excellent value for money from Agilent, wasn't expecting that! the fluke basic TL75 already costs 30 bucks so we have a winner here

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2012, 05:19:39 pm »
Found my first serious multimeter. A Dynatek 7010, "Made in Taiwan 1990", so I got it when I was 13 or 14.
Absolute crappy design by todays standards. The PCB sits loose in the case, so everything moves when the knob is turned.
The sockets are sort of safety style, but not compatible with the standard safety socket.
Very little protection on the inputs, 20A range is not fused at all, and the lower amp range uses a simple 20x5 glass fuse.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf