Author Topic: Show your Multimeter!  (Read 508599 times)

Cesar_D and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Show your Multimeter!
« Reply #875 on: August 11, 2018, 06:03:36 pm »
MY Multimeter Zoo has been expanded by a Metrawatt M2036 while I was on a short vacation. Left the bid and won. Now I hope for fast and well delivery. Not that I needed it, but my multimeter sense was itchy anyway and it was on the list. I am curious how well the zoom function for the bargraph works in practice. I consider the function offered by it to be more practical than those of the closely related M2035, which has a very particular limit function instead. And it has peak function, good basic acuracy and RMS measurement, so it is going to be a viable instrument. It is my first of the Metrawatt swiveltops.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #876 on: August 11, 2018, 06:06:38 pm »

I had the chance to get these two BEWA meters quite cheaply. They were made in Germany in the early 80ies, really some of the first
affordable digital meters available in Germany. They're just bog standard ICL7106 meters. Both meters are basically the same apart from accuracy specs.
There's BEWA's full size, full colour advert from the back of an Elektor magazine from 1984.

I had the chance to get these two BEWA meters quite cheaply. They were made in Germany in the early 80ies, really some of the first
affordable digital meters available in Germany. They're just bog standard ICL7106 meters. Both meters are basically the same apart from accuracy specs.
There's BEWA's full size, full colour advert from the back of an Elektor magazine from 1984.
In the early 80's, I was working beside school in a long defunct local electronics shop, as was a friend of mine. I already had my Fluke 8060A, which my buddy had followed with a Beckman 3030RMS. So when the shopowner came gloating about the 'super quality high performance economy multimeters' from Bewa, we both were not exactly impressed. But as I got a provision, I used the RMS feature on the big one to sell two of them in the tinkerer comunity at our school. It made RMS and 4.5digits accessible for some guys which were not willing to spend as much. Never owned one myself, though.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #877 on: August 11, 2018, 07:21:22 pm »
MY Multimeter Zoo has been expanded by a Metrawatt M2036 while I was on a short vacation. Left the bid and won. Now I hope for fast and well delivery. Not that I needed it, but my multimeter sense was itchy anyway and it was on the list. I am curious how well the zoom function for the bargraph works in practice. I consider the function offered by it to be more practical than those of the closely related M2035, which has a very particular limit function instead. And it has peak function, good basic acuracy and RMS measurement, so it is going to be a viable instrument. It is my first of the Metrawatt swiveltops.
I was still at the university, when this DMM came on the market and wanted it so badly but it was soooo expensive.
Hmm, I should look for one.
How much dis you pay for this one?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #878 on: August 11, 2018, 08:17:42 pm »

I was still at the university, when this DMM came on the market and wanted it so badly but it was soooo expensive.
Hmm, I should look for one.
How much dis you pay for this one?
110.-
But a year ago, a colleague of mine, who was acting on my suggestion, got his for around 75.-
And a correction: the one with the different function in the same package is the M2037, not 2035!

But there was a bigger one , which combined both functionalities and added dB with selectable reference.
This was the M2042. I'm still looking for one.
You are sure that the M2036 was the DMM of your studential pipedreams and not the 2042?

Offline sullyRD

• Contributor
« Reply #879 on: September 08, 2018, 03:34:44 pm »
Updated photo of my vintage Italian multimeters

To Build a Cenotaph, First Choose a Million Victims.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #880 on: September 08, 2018, 03:48:32 pm »
Updated photo of my vintage Italian multimeters

Beautiful ICEs. I inherited from my dad the first multimeter I have ever used: ICE 680R Supertester. It is a bit off in all ranges but it is certainly on the line for a repair.

One tip, though: if possible, could you upload the photos to the EEVBlog server instead for posterity? Over the years the image hosting sites tend to either change their terms of service or the links become broken and thr images are gone forever (check the first post on this thread, for example).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:53:03 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #881 on: September 10, 2018, 03:28:21 am »
I've acquired a few DMM's over the last year, but this meter is just more enjoyable to use, since I don't need "absolute" precision for most measurements anyway. This FET-VOM is like the slide rule of multimeters, to my way of thinking. That extra step of thinking about the ranges again before reading.

Offline jeffheath

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #882 on: September 10, 2018, 05:57:16 am »
Don't know if this has been shown yet, but it's a Bell & Howell rebranded Heathkit IM-1212 multimeter.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #883 on: September 10, 2018, 10:49:21 pm »
Don't know if this has been shown yet, but it's a Bell & Howell rebranded Heathkit IM-1212 multimeter.
Teardown, info at

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/nixie-glow/

Offline jeffheath

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #884 on: September 11, 2018, 12:25:23 am »
Teardown, info at

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/nixie-glow/
That's your website? I saw that article when I was wrenchin' on this thing. You can tell mine was hand built, lots of boogery solder joints!

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #885 on: September 11, 2018, 02:17:40 am »
Nothing special in my collection yet.

I do want a Fluke 8060 though, one day I'm sure I'll find one.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #886 on: September 11, 2018, 03:11:16 am »
That's your website?
No.  Modemhead is a member here and that is his site.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #887 on: September 11, 2018, 09:30:37 am »
110.-
But a year ago, a colleague of mine, who was acting on my suggestion, got his for around 75.-
And a correction: the one with the different function in the same package is the M2037, not 2035!

But there was a bigger one , which combined both functionalities and added dB with selectable reference.
You are sure that the M2036 was the DMM of your studential pipedreams and not the 2042?
That was a good price, congratulations.

It is well possible that it is the M2036 that I had in mind.
Not far away from the university, we had a BBC / GOERZ / Metrawatt distributor.

Even these days, I am using my Metrawatt analog meters for some applications.
And even compared at todays standard, they are kind of special.

Here are some pictures of my little collection.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #888 on: September 12, 2018, 10:03:28 pm »
110.-

That was a good price, congratulations.

It is well possible that it is the M2036 that I had in mind.
Not far away from the university, we had a BBC / GOERZ / Metrawatt distributor.

Even these days, I am using my Metrawatt analog meters for some applications.
And even compared at todays standard, they are kind of special.

Here are some pictures of my little collection.
Not bad. Die 'Viererbande' habe ich komplett! (4E/4H/4S/4D). ;D
The 2H was my first #real' multimeter, bought together with a proper toolbag from the result of my first summer break job - doing electrical installation work with a local contractor aged 13!
The MetraMax12 and the Unigor 6e have already been subject of two posts of mine in this topic.
Mayby I should present the 'medium' Unigors (A41+A43) too or I could show the lower range precedessors of the 1H/2H, namely the Metravo Elektronik (which is not a 'electronic'=active multimeter, as the name suggests) and the Metravo3 and Metratest3. Also on stock is a Unigor 3p which is
interesting because those early series unigors exist in identical form from Hartmann & Braun, which then ceased to cooperate with the Goerz/BBC conglomerate. That was before the H&B multimeters grew to shoe carton size. The 3p sometimes comes handy with its 5kV range.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #889 on: September 12, 2018, 10:11:08 pm »
Aaaand....not a new multimeter, but I have finally managed to aquire the original Goerz RF probe for use with the Unigor 6e. Rated to 800MHz. With case and accessories, in nearly immaculate condition.

Offline ogdento

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #890 on: September 25, 2018, 08:52:41 pm »
Like others on the board, my meters reproduce while I'm not looking!

On my bench are a 29 and 79 series ii, an 87 i, 2x87 iii, 3x8060a, and a 12b.  I'm in the middle of re-capping two of the 8060a meters and I've been using the rightmost 87iii for electronics work.

My most recent score was a cheap Matco MD257 (rebadged Brymen BM257)... its low-z function is great for exposing ghost voltages around the house and works as well as the Fluke 12b.  The Amprobe AM47 (another rebadged Brymen) is great for a pocket meter but the low-z on it sucks - it's not low enough!!

Eventually I'll pare down to one Fluke 87iii, the Matco MD257, and the IBM 8060a.  I might keep one regular 8060a too... I used it back in college and it's always been reliable.

Offline slurry

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #891 on: September 29, 2018, 06:56:15 pm »
I've been thrue a lot of handheld multimeters, this is the three most advanced i've got.
Fluke 289 - Keysight U1282A - Metrix MTX3291

The verdict is that the Chauvin Arnoux/Metrix MTX3291 is my favourite for the bench,
second place goes to Fluke 289 (and 17B+ for less demanding work) and the poor Keysight gets place number three  :)

Offline ogdento

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #892 on: October 04, 2018, 09:10:57 pm »
That Chauvin Arnoux meter looks great... I've never seen one and had to look it up.  Great specs!!  it's got everything I'd ever possibly need in a meter.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #893 on: October 05, 2018, 07:03:48 pm »
I have buyed today this ..

Fluke 8300A options 1,2 + 5 (heavy nixie fluke)

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, tooki, bitseeker, Cubdriver, bsw_m, Inverted18650, DH7DN

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #894 on: October 06, 2018, 01:17:52 am »
Nice, Martin!   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #895 on: October 06, 2018, 06:30:47 am »

Oooh, nice. Show us inside!. :)

Also, promise not to turn it into a clock!
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #896 on: October 06, 2018, 06:37:36 am »

Oooh, nice. Show us inside!. :)

Also, promise not to turn it into a clock!

I don't think we need to worry about Martin doing anything like that!  <edit - I mean turn it into a clock>

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #897 on: October 06, 2018, 04:31:34 pm »
Looks great, Martin! And nice options, too. From the color of the VAC button, I guess it did a lot of it during its life.

I only have its little brother, the 8100A.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #898 on: October 09, 2018, 12:48:56 pm »
the destroying of old test gear is to me a NO GO.
Also I will never answer questions like "how many double triodes are in that Tekscope"

8600A is here, very low series No, it`s a LED. 8300A is my first Nixie-Fluke
Martin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:50:59 pm by Martin.M »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #899 on: October 09, 2018, 02:38:45 pm »
 :-/O  no Multi, a Thermo-Meter  8) -60 to +250°C in 4 ranges + analog output 0-1V
trustful 2% of reading. It`s time for a new calibration, the sticker is loosing the color.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:51:26 pm by Martin.M »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf