Author Topic: Show your Multimeter!  (Read 508531 times)

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
Re: Show your Multimeter!
« Reply #800 on: October 04, 2017, 09:43:36 am »
I decided to post in this old thread to share my collection of multimeters.
Like many forum members I buy a new multimeters (or a new soldering station) even if I do not need it, but my wife has the same problem with shoes :), and the last multimeters I bought  were cheaper than a pair of shoes :-+

In fact a new one arrived after I shoot the collection, and is not in the photos: a nice ANENG AN8002.

Photo 1:
- WAVETEK (Meterman, now Amprobe) 5 XL  : a basic 3.5 digits, very robust, with the best display in the collection
- Meterman (now Amprobe) 33XL : a very robust, reliable, SLOW 3.5 digits HEAVY meter.
Please note that it has leading zero suppression, that's a little unusual but nice.
- UniT UT61A : I don't know why I'm always grabbing  this one as first choice :D
- UniT UT61E : I needed true RMS :-+ to replace an old Beckman that was sold in the last clearance of the lab.

Photo 2:
- STANDARD (no name ?) clamp meter
- Meterman (Amprobe) PM33 pocket: I don't use it very much because the single button operation is annoying, and I don't like the fixed probes.
- PEAK TECK 1020 pocket: it is a nice instrument with flashlight and Non Contact Voltage detector.
New production has detachable/replaceable probes. The display is good, but it is placed too far from front panel, so reading at an angle is difficult.
It has no tilting stand, but I've found on the Web that some maker made a nice attachment.
- ANENG AN8008: recent arrival. It is very nice, I like it very much.
Same for the not shown AN8002.
Please forgive the photo's low quality.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:47:07 am by ciccio »
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline jscm2000

• Contributor
« Reply #801 on: December 05, 2017, 09:53:15 am »
I use a multimeter? :-DD

Offline sullyRD

• Contributor
« Reply #802 on: February 06, 2018, 01:15:01 pm »
This meter is a Vintage NovoTest TS140 from 1968, made by a Itailian company Cassinelli. S.a.s &Co Milano.

image hosting websites
To Build a Cenotaph, First Choose a Million Victims.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #803 on: February 06, 2018, 07:46:16 pm »
Wow, the fonts, graphics and the probe inserts are remarkably close to a ICE 680R multimeter my dad bought many years ago (also italian).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #804 on: February 06, 2018, 08:57:19 pm »
Wow, the fonts, graphics and the probe inserts are remarkably close to a ICE 680R multimeter my dad bought many years ago (also italian).
It is the previous name of the very same outfit AFAIK.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #805 on: February 06, 2018, 10:45:33 pm »
My bench DMMs:

One of the 7040's needs attention anyone have the service manual specific to that model?
The 7150's needs a re-cal.
Although it works well I would also be glad to find schematics or service info for the Dana 5100.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #806 on: February 06, 2018, 10:56:47 pm »
And the handheld DMMs...
I managed to thin down the heard of scopes then this madness took over, I admit I do tend to go over the top on things, have always refused to go to the TEA section though! (Only because I do sell the odd thing once in a while.)

I have skipped a couple: I have 2 of those Tecpel 2606 clamp meters, and a vintage 1950's Metrix model 430 analog meter, I'll have to get a pic of that one over as it's actually a nice piece of gear.

The lower line are, or will be for sale. (Beckman T100, Metrix MX40, Metrix MX45, Metrix MX52 missing lexan, Wavetek 2020)

How I wish I could afford a 9V battery now...

Offline sullyRD

• Contributor
« Reply #807 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:06 pm »
The Novotest TS-140 is very hard to source, this one took me a few years to get because most that come up for sale are in a sorry condition, this one is near mint.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:40:41 pm by sullyRD »
To Build a Cenotaph, First Choose a Million Victims.

Offline BNElecEng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #808 on: February 06, 2018, 11:06:16 pm »
My bench DMMs:

One of the 7040's needs attention anyone have the service manual specific to that model?
Although it works well I would also be glad to find schematics or service info for the Dana 5100.

Google turned a manual for the Dana 5100AF multimeter from the website ko4bb.com. Link https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php%3Ffile%3DRacal/Racal_Dana_5100AF_Digital_Multimeter_Manual_HQ.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiNmrPcspLZAhXIDsAKHd_sAps4ChAWMAd6BAgKEAE&usg=AOvVaw3DfejjZxpKspkNur4iKDjG

Hope the link worked

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #809 on: February 06, 2018, 11:29:40 pm »
My bench DMMs:

Google turned a manual for the Dana 5100AF multimeter from the website ko4bb.com. Link https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php%3Ffile%3DRacal/Racal_Dana_5100AF_Digital_Multimeter_Manual_HQ.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiNmrPcspLZAhXIDsAKHd_sAps4ChAWMAd6BAgKEAE&usg=AOvVaw3DfejjZxpKspkNur4iKDjG

Hope the link worked

Thanks for the link, it should be close enough, I'll have to take a peek in my meter to check though.
Having a quick look through that service manual: Wow! I didn't really expect to find a +/- 300V supply in there!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #810 on: February 06, 2018, 11:43:31 pm »
And the handheld DMMs...

Neat collection. Many I've not seen before.

I managed to thin down the heard of scopes then this madness took over, I admit I do tend to go over the top on things, have always refused to go to the TEA section though! (Only because I do sell the odd thing once in a while.)

Resistance is futile. You already show clear signs of the infection. And selling some of your stuff doesn't disqualify you. I've done it too. (Shhh! Don't tell the others. ;D)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #811 on: February 07, 2018, 12:49:53 am »
And the handheld DMMs...

Neat collection. Many I've not seen before.

Resistance is futile. You already show clear signs of the infection. And selling some of your stuff doesn't disqualify you. I've done it too. (Shhh! Don't tell the others. ;D)

:rant: <grabs pitchfork and lights torch>  :rant:

:P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #812 on: February 07, 2018, 02:35:48 am »
Oh no! They found me. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #813 on: February 07, 2018, 11:38:22 am »
What is this phrase "sell test equipment" ??? >:D
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #814 on: February 07, 2018, 02:02:28 pm »
No, they were similar but different products from different manufacturers. I used both of them (but I preferred a bigger AVO 8 ) , and after more than 40 years the ICE is still in production (you can buy it on RS).
The ICE was 20 kohm/V, the Cassinelli was 40 kohm/V.
In this webpage http://www.webalice.it/rocco.piccone/progetti/cassinelli/cassinelli.html youcan find schematic and manual for the Cassinelli.
Best regards
I always invent new ones

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Marco1971

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #815 on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:41 pm »
And the handheld DMMs...

I have skipped a couple: I have 2 of those Tecpel 2606 clamp meters, and a vintage 1950's Metrix model 430 analog meter, I'll have to get a pic of that one over as it's actually a nice piece of gear.

The lower line are, or will be for sale. (Beckman T100, Metrix MX40, Metrix MX45, Metrix MX52 missing lexan, Wavetek 2020)

How I wish I could afford a 9V battery now...

Nice collection of ASYC-II meters there  :D
I have a B&K 5360 (similar to MX-56) and it is my favorite handheld.
If you look around these forums you will find links to information on how to build a serial-to-IR interface for a few dollars, plus the logging software and the calibration software, as well as an interface specification which details all the low level details so you could build your own software. I have tried to collect this information into this post .

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #816 on: February 10, 2018, 01:55:05 am »
@Ciccio: As you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this topic, how are they (ICE/Cassinelli) related to Chinaglia and Pantec? (Like, is the Cortina related by design to the later Pantec's?)
And how comes that the ICE and the Cassinelli share so many features, which are not commonly used in other multimeters (switchless, jack size, range doubler pushbutton, layout).

Also, I have a very specific problem with a T&M instrument from Italy: I own a 'fast transient monitor' from the deceased company 'Ingeneria Guido Gay', the FTM30.
If it is of comparable quality like his memory voltmeters (which I use), it should be good. That feller was a analogue wizard and designer of nice instruments! But I have been unable to find ANY information about it! Even to check it out, would need some manual. Any idea? I would be sincerely delighted!

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #817 on: February 10, 2018, 05:53:29 am »

*chuckle*

Seriously, I have two Fluke 77's that are probably 20 years old, work great, are still in cal, and I see no need to replace them.
(and yes, that's really one of my meters in the photo)

Now that is a vintage DVM!
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #818 on: February 10, 2018, 07:29:35 am »

*chuckle*

Seriously, I have two Fluke 77's that are probably 20 years old, work great, are still in cal, and I see no need to replace them.
(and yes, that's really one of my meters in the photo)

Now that is a vintage DVM!

It's a beautiful thing!   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline tigr

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #819 on: February 10, 2018, 10:45:33 am »
My working multimeter for electronics repair. :)

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #820 on: February 10, 2018, 12:11:44 pm »
@Ciccio: As you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this topic, how are they (ICE/Cassinelli) related to Chinaglia and Pantec? (Like, is the Cortina related by design to the later Pantec's?)
And how comes that the ICE and the Cassinelli share so many features, which are not commonly used in other multimeters (switchless, jack size, range doubler pushbutton, layout).

Also, I have a very specific problem with a T&M instrument from Italy: I own a 'fast transient monitor' from the deceased company 'Ingeneria Guido Gay', the FTM30.
If it is of comparable quality like his memory voltmeters (which I use), it should be good. That feller was a analogue wizard and designer of nice instruments! But I have been unable to find ANY information about it! Even to check it out, would need some manual. Any idea? I would be sincerely delighted!
I'm sorry, but I do not know much: Chinaglia and Pantec (Carlo Gavazzi) were located not in Milan (or near Milan) like ICE and Cassanelli, but in the east of Italy (Belluno).
The layout and special functions were, to what I understand, selected for differentiating from other European manufacturers.
I never heard about "Ingegneria Guido Gay". I did a quick search and found this page  http://www.underwateracademy.org/it/press-area/archivio-news/16-biografie-tridenti/1980-1989/140-1985-guido-gay.html where is reparted about a submarine robot and the discovery if a WW2 wrech, but I don't know if he is the same Guido Gay.
Best regards
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:18:18 pm by ciccio »
I always invent new ones

Offline Analog

• Contributor
« Reply #821 on: February 11, 2018, 08:19:05 pm »
At present I have two meters. I'm waiting on a 121GW that I expect will become my most used meter. The 34970A unit has a 6-1/2 DMM that can scan multiple inputs. I have a few switching cards too. It's very handy for testing designs because I can connect several nodes and then scan them as I vary inputs or loads and log over time with temperature. I bought it for that purpose. I most often use the Fluke for general tasks but I'm ready to move up to the 121GW.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #822 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:53 pm »
Well, wanted a new 15V battery for the Avo8, and did not want to buy an expensive one online. so, looked around, and took 5 CR2025 cells, some PTFE sheet and some scrap brass from a well cooked socket outlet, and some thin heat shrink sleeves.Now have a nice 15v battery replacement that should last at least 10 years in use, plus the zero adjustment is now at the point that should give a maximum battery life.

Now to await the slow boat from China with the AA converters to replace the D cell for the other ranges.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #823 on: February 13, 2018, 09:41:24 pm »

I never heard about "Ingegneria Guido Gay". I did a quick search and found this page  http://www.underwateracademy.org/it/press-area/archivio-news/16-biografie-tridenti/1980-1989/140-1985-guido-gay.html where is reparted about a submarine robot and the discovery if a WW2 wrech, but I don't know if he is the same Guido Gay.
Best regards
It is the right guy that you've found. Also 'Gay Misuratori Elettronici' is the correct company name.
That he was active in underwater robotics was not known to me before.
Here are my two MTA memory voltmeters (peak voltmeters) from his company:
But for those I have documentation. The other two pictures show the FTM, whose case remains, unfortunately, unsolved.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Fluke 87V 189 287
« Reply #824 on: February 14, 2018, 03:57:36 am »
Acquired recently the 189, post here as a reference for sizes comparison between popular models.

Presenting the BBB, the Beast, the Beauty and the Brick ?  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf