Author Topic: Show your Multimeter!  (Read 508550 times)

Offline leniwiec

• Contributor
    • EE & IT Blog
Re: Show your Multimeter!
« Reply #250 on: December 09, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »
Might as well post my collection of meters..
Well most of it, used to have 4 of the u1272a's, but sold off 1 and gave another away (disappointed with them overall, hate the test leads that came with and dont like the update rate of the screen (too fast, yes too fast.) and the dont like the data logging compared to the fluke 289, just all around dont care for them.  also have a few old analog meters and another 87v that I keep in my mobile toolbag.  The micronta was my first "real" multimeter that I bought in the early 90's, still reads dead on accurate today.

I'm in love with your screwdrivers set ;-)

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #251 on: December 09, 2012, 11:12:26 pm »
I'm in love with your screwdrivers set ;-)

One of my best investments in bench "hand tools" to date.  Use them a lot and yet to damage a single one.  (went through 2-3 "cheap" sets a month before I bought that one about a year ago.

Its a Wiha 92092 master set with a Wiha 27791 SAE/Inch Nut Driver set added to complete the set. (the 92092 only comes with Metric nut drivers)

Offline Saneoc

« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:07 am »

• Russian U4341 analogue meter

Wow!!
Inscriptions on front panel were originally in English, or you translated it?
It's strange to read "made in USSR" and Russian inscriptions on the same panell, especially on such a device.

Offline reagle

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:14 am »
That usually indicates an export product, made specifically to be shipped outside of country. Hence all important controls are translated an unimportant things like under which standard it's made were left alone

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2013, 06:58:58 am »
http://www.pa4tim.nl/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/multimeters.jpg
I have a U4341 too, I think they are a Russian copy of an Unigor. A friend gave it to me, he had not used it over 25 years, it was in his barn and the foamstrips in the metal box where desintegrated and so was most of the paint of the meter cabinet. It works but it is by far the worst analog meter of my collection. It has a transitor test function I think that was not very common in those days.

This is my Unigor, very good meters. I like the simpson 260M more but the Unigor is great too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:02:29 am by PA4TIM »
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:25 am »
My very first digital multimeter, bought in '88 or '89...

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2013, 11:44:29 am »
The title is "My garage" ;)

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »
Are you talking colors or performance ? I would say in case of the latter from left to right:
Ford transit ( if it was a 77 or so I would say Mercedes Vito, a strong workhorse)
A hyunday excel, far east but not bad.
Trabant, just one of the cheapest lcr meters ( 39 dollar according i-net)

Not to offend you, but this is not fair to Porsch and Bugatti this way ;-)
The line up for those names would besomd hing like  Agilent 3458 , Fluke 87 and an excell LCR meter
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:33:49 pm by PA4TIM »
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »
I know it's not a good comparison of performance... I did it just for fun. ;)

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2013, 02:54:21 pm »
I see one Ford and a bunch of Hyundais.  :-DD

Offline Mad Professor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #260 on: January 10, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »
At this point in time I am only just starting to get back into electronics, and as such I only have a UNI-T UT58C DVM/DMM, I have no idea if it's any good, but it was on sale at my local maplin's store.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:58 am »
Update since my last post at page 8, took the picture for this topic and posted on another forgot to post here.

Anyways, I got them all together now I believe, I am not sure if I missed one:

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:04 am »
Spawn,  That's a nice collection.

Online bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:10 am »
Update since my last post at page 8, took the picture for this topic and posted on another forgot to post here.

Anyways, I got them all together now I believe, I am not sure if I missed one:
Impressive! Now, which ones are in 'active service' ?

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »
Thanks guys, well the active ones are the Gossen 23s and Fluke 85’s also Amprobe pocket mm in my pocket always.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2013, 12:42:59 am »
Hi,
Here is my most accurate multimeter. It is a Datron 1281 8 1/2 digit meter.
It shown displaying the 1V output from a Fluke 732A DC voltage standard. The difference is 6.7 ppm.

Neither the Fluke or the Datron 1281 have been calibrated in at least five years.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2013, 07:56:55 am »
Hi,
Here is my most accurate multimeter. It is a Datron 1281 8 1/2 digit meter.
That's worth a couple of times more than my car. :bullshit: :scared:

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2013, 03:59:25 pm »
Some of the collections of meters shown here make me feel totally inadequate, but here is my motley collection. The AVO 7x Panclimatic is one of the meters I use most on power plant along with the clamp meter. The AVO and peak test meters are the only ones that have not disappointed me at some time, but all of them are good in their own fashion, I just had a look at the batteries in the insulation tester, they were Duracell plus with an expiry date of  March 2010, so I changed all 8 of them they still powered the meter and none of them had leaked but just to be safe I binned them.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:07:02 pm by G7PSK »

Offline Rick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:58 pm »
I have wanted to post in this thread for a few weeks now, but haven't taken pics of my equipment until now. It's nothing fancy but I'm proud of them because they're a bit out of the ordinary. The analog is a cheapy kit that I got when I went to a trade school for about a week and a half.

Me too I have that DM-10 on the left handside, that I must have bought in 1987/88/89. It has some dark mark inside the rotary switch, as it had an "accident" one day. I don't remember any more what type of accident it was though. Now it is the worst of my multimeters after my UNI-T UT-33A. I have adjusted the pot inside to get its last digit match the Fluke 87V reading:)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:27:56 am by Rick »

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2013, 12:22:50 am »
I like the Marchall top on the background  :-+

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2013, 08:08:25 pm »
http://www.electronicsandbooks.com/eab1/kb/k0zfca.htm  It looks a bit weird but there is very much info. That guy must have spend months going through brochures and manuals.

Related to multimeters and rather rare, a Philips nixie equiped calibrator.

I was used and owned by Philips in Eindhoven. It is probably a japanes calibrator with a philips rebranding, or the other way around. I have all the manuals including handwritten parts that suggest improvements for production run ect and the manual from the japanese brand.
It was given to me, the owner thought it was a rather useless sort of powersupply ;-)

Offline jnd

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal stuff
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:27 pm »
Nice meters guys, I'd love get something precision as you have there :-+

Now these three aren't mine, just what I can use at work:

New Agilent U1232A, almost year old Brymen BM867 and about 4 year old Fluke 117. The BM867 still remains the only one who can accurately measure mA currents, which is ultimately the reason my employer bought it, although I really wanted it for the 500 000 count mode but we don't really need such precision around here. :-DMM

The new U1232A brings some interesting features, currently I love the tone option of low resistance beeper, it works on diode range too. What it does is it beeps at various frequencies depending on the resistance value or voltage drop of diode. When you try shorting the probes and opening quickly it generates sounds like some old 8-bit game console :-DD

edit: I forgot to add a bit about the probes. Those which came with the Fluke aren't really durable for daily use. We have 4 of them here and all of them sooner or later started to break up, I think all in the same place which is at top of the probe as the wire goes out. I guess the strain relief is not really working. You can just chop them off and use the cable for something else like small hooks for example, because the cable itself is good and has silicone coating. Few weeks ago we were shopping for some better replacement and found the convertibles TL175. They are really good, hopefully they will last longer. I think they're worth the higher price. Don't forget to get the version with screw on bannanas, for my work they are essential. BM867 came with some cheaply looking altough 1 kV CAT IV rated probes. I don't like them much so I rather got some generic UNI-T which you can see in the photo. U1232A came with more stiff probes, end is similar to the Brymen's, I guess that's for the CAT IV rating. Nice thing is they come with rubber protections ends for both sides. They also have isolation inside for the jack to multimeter so accidental unplugging from meter when still measuring something live should be a bit safer. I rate them above the UNI-T's but not as good as any of the Fluke's.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:19:16 pm by jnd »
Wannabe volt-nut, slowly hunting solid meters with low budget.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:49 pm »
Can you play the Amp Hour intro on it, and more importantly video it and post it.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:30 pm »
Magnificent, PA4TIM.  What are its specs?  I agree that website, its amazing just for amassing so much information.  What is the basic accuracy of the PM2480?

http://www.electronicsandbooks.com/eab1/kb/k0zfca.htm  It looks a bit weird but there is very much info. That guy must have spend months going through brochures and manuals.

Related to multimeters and rather rare, a Philips nixie equiped calibrator.

I was used and owned by Philips in Eindhoven. It is probably a japanes calibrator with a philips rebranding, or the other way around. I have all the manuals including handwritten parts that suggest improvements for production run ect and the manual from the japanese brand.
It was given to me, the owner thought it was a rather useless sort of powersupply ;-)
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2013, 12:28:54 am »
http://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=1077
I added the specs to it. It is an odd type of standard. I never opened it but still was planning to check it and clean it one of these days, it is not bad, deviation is under 10 uV at 10V so that is 1 ppm( i normaly use my Fluke 332 for serious calibration, this one is very handy for quick checks and i use it as a precision current source in experiments)  I looked quick through the manual but I can not find a reference. It makes a pcm signal and that is converted to DC, i found a 10 MHz oscillator and i think it does a FV conversion. Could that xtal be the reference ?
I will study the manual this week ( few hundered pages)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf