Author Topic: Silicon Valley invests $120 Mill. in $400 juicer that works as well as hands  (Read 50112 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Champion makes a kickass juicer - This has always been the one I wanted. But super expensive.. Around $300

https://www.google.com/search?q=champion+juicer

We have a much less pricey one from Oster

Quote from: rrinker on 2017-04-23, 11:02:48
Know how we USED to do it? There was an attachment for my grandmother's stand mixer and you just sliced each orange in half and held it over the rotating attachment. Juice ran down the spout into the pitcher. Hardly any effort at all, and no fancy single task machine. They still make those.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline janekm

• Supporter
The "rsstroom" people were just too far ahead of their time, these days it would be a huge IoT startup: http://www.djspyhunter.com/teapot/2005/12/rsstroom-reader-toilet-paper-printer.html

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
Why would something like that need a 330 V rail? :o :wtf:

I've worked on (the mechanical parts of) a piece of electric vehicle charging equipment that needed a 185 VDC rail to drive a load of LEDs in series (no idea why you'd need to do it this way?) but this is bonkers.

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
So all the machine does is squish a bag of pulp? Why is it so complicated? Why not just make a hand roller like the ones for tooth paste tubes? Seems like a rube Goldberg way of doing things.

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
So all the machine does is squish a bag of pulp? Why is it so complicated? Why not just make a hand roller like the ones for tooth paste tubes?

Because ... um ... well ... the thing is ... ah because ...

Just call it bling for your kitchen?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
It will save you time during your busy morning! You have to create a user id password and hope that your internet and smart phone are all working for it to squeeze a bag of juice? I really thought this was a spoof but its not, its real. I bet the camera takes a picture of you when you open the door like those new cocacola soda machines. What a waste of time money and plastic that goes into a landfill.

• Super Contributor
Do the bags have to be refrigerated until used?

I say that because if that's not required I'm really shocked it doesn't have a clock/timer so you can load a bag, place an empty glass under it, and have it automatically squeeze it at a preset time. For all the engineering in there why not have that feature?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
So all the machine does is squish a bag of pulp? Why is it so complicated? Why not just make a hand roller like the ones for tooth paste tubes?

Because ... um ... well ... the thing is ... ah because ...

When I was watching the AVE video I kept asking myself "yeah but what else does it do? does it cool/heat the juice, filter, or process it? He's not explaining something. " Nope. I can't wait for the next useless product to come out. How about a device that monitors the condition of your ice cube trays to see if they have been tampered with or contain non proprietary water in them?

The following users thanked this post: t_ryner

Offline t_ryner

• Regular Contributor
So all the machine does is squish a bag of pulp? Why is it so complicated? Why not just make a hand roller like the ones for tooth paste tubes? Seems like a rube Goldberg way of doing things.

Same could be said about keurig coffee makers! I mean all you have to do is filter hot water through some crushed up coffee beans!  :-//

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Do the bags have to be refrigerated until used?

I say that because if that's not required I'm really shocked it doesn't have a clock/timer so you can load a bag, place an empty glass under it, and have it automatically squeeze it at a preset time. For all the engineering in there why not have that feature?  :-//
Because "common sense" features tend to not be really considered at all by SV startups... they're more in it for the bling, the wank, and the $$$.

I remember once using (or being forced to use) a web app made by a company like this --- and it would've been trivial to change the page CSS style to have it actually show useful information and be easier to use instead of hiding it behind lots of click-overs, so I gave feedback and their response was basically "we think it looks better even though you need to click a few more times, so we're not changing it"|O I ended up just doing it locally with a userstyle.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
There must be something else going on.

Maybe they sell the other information they gather as part of this process

The following users thanked this post: yada

• Super Contributor
There must be something else going on.

Maybe they sell the other information they gather as part of this process

When you use Juicero products, they may connect automatically to the Services, in which case we automatically receive information concerning the Juicero products you use and your usage activity in connection with those products (e.g., which juice packets you use with the products, the time of day you use the products, and similar data).

https://www.juicero.com/privacy-policy/

Well we knew that anyway.

Will Juicero share any of the personal information it receives?

We do not rent or sell your Personal Information in personally identifiable form to anyone. We may share your Personal Information with third parties as described in this section:

Information that’s been de-identified: We may de-identify your Personal Information so that you are not identified as an individual, and provide that information to our partners. We may also provide aggregate usage information to our partners (or allow partners to collect that information from you), who may use such information to understand how often and in what ways people use our Services, so that they, too, can provide you with an optimal online experience. However, we never disclose aggregate usage or de-identified information to a partner (or allow a partner to collect such information) in a manner that would identify you as an individual person.

https://www.juicero.com/privacy-policy/

Oh a new word for me - de-identify.  :)

I want to go through a day this week as a de-identified person.  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: yada

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor

That's exactly what it is.  Its purpose is not just making juice, but also fitting in with the other expensive items in your kitchen and telling visitors you're clued in to what's hip and can afford to throw unreasonable amounts of money at some small everyday problem you just can't be bothered with.  Like having servants prepare your meals, but without the cultural baggage.

So of course it has to be overengineered.  Only the best is good enough for the elite consumer who has everything!  It makes no sense as a mass market product because that's not what it is.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:51:28 am by magetoo »

The following users thanked this post: ivan747, Kilrah

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
A method has been discovered to properly "repair" the Jizzero to chooch to our will!

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Still wondering why he went with a bunch of relays and stuff instead of a simple DPDT switch...

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Yes, thats called "The Analog Hole".

Quote from: xrunner on 2017-04-21, 07:35:15>Quote from: AndyC_772 on 2017-04-21, 07:31:45
I wondered what happens to the waste once the bag has been squeezed dry, but according to their web site, that's covered too. I kid ye not:

>"Once pressed, the pulp inside can be eaten (our preference)"

Source: https://www.juicero.com/the-packs/

Wait a sec ... I think I just got a terrific idea!

Work with me here - wouldn't it be possible to just go to the local grocery store and buy the fruit directly, take it home, and then squeeze it yourself?  ::)

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
Here is a much more useful and far more awesome app-enabled device:

https://youtu.be/yqynvR-HNiE
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:05:40 am by MarkS »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
:-DD

One of the many channels I subscribe to. Their YouTube channel is nothing more than advertising for their retail site, but their videos are so well done and entertaining that I'll gladly sit through the crappy YouTube ads to watch their commercials. If more ads were like their videos, I'd gladly watch without complaint! Anyway, glad you liked it!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:25:46 pm by MarkS »

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials

Quote from: xrunner on 2017-04-21, 07:35:15>Quote from: AndyC_772 on 2017-04-21, 07:31:45
I wondered what happens to the waste once the bag has been squeezed dry, but according to their web site, that's covered too. I kid ye not:

Work with me here - wouldn't it be possible to just go to the local grocery store and buy the fruit directly, take it home, and then squeeze it yourself?  ::)

If you drink the juice and eat the pressed remains why not just eat the damm fruit to begin with?

The following users thanked this post: fcb, Kilrah, yada

• Super Contributor

If you drink the juice and eat the pressed remains why not just eat the damm fruit to begin with?

Offline yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !

Because there would be no app to go with that.
Just the other day I was thinking this orange is great, but what if I had to set up and then log into an app every time I wanted to eat one? The app would even check to make sure it was still an orange and warn me if there was a safety recall for bad oranges. 

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Juicero is axing 25 per cent of its staff...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/14/juicero_layoffs/

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Juicero is axing 25 per cent of its staff...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/14/juicero_layoffs/

GOOD! Maybe those people can find actual decent jobs now and help people instead of working for a scam company!
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
Can someone translate this into meaningful English?

"It was frustrating to read that something we always knew about, and that our customers simply aren't interested in doing, was somehow new and relevant. But you overcame the distraction and I appreciate your unflappable focus."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf