Author Topic: small hot air tool for heatshrink  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Kiriakos-GRTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
small hot air tool for heatshrink
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:23:35 pm »
Did some small research ,  and so far the most interesting solution hides behind the trade logo "Heat it up ".

If you are aware of better solutions , just post your links ..  :) 

Offline wd5gnr

• Regular Contributor
Re: small hot air tool for heatshrink
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:49:06 pm »
The local hobby store has "embossing tools" for about $5 or $10 on sale most weeks. It is a great little hot air gun but no heat or flow control. I have actually used it to remove SMD parts. Unfortunately with the plastic cover off the tip, it won't quite take a hakko nozzle.

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:59:26 pm »
Well my need are for heatshrink works,  I currently do that with my cigarette lighter ,
but  the result in some cases , are not perfect ,  the small heat gun , I believe that it will offer an more uniform result.

Thats what I have currently on my scope.  ;)

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:13:52 pm »
I just use my soldering iron. If you pass it close enough it works well. Too close and it burns.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »
I just use my soldering iron. If you pass it close enough it works well. Too close and it burns.

David.
A hot air gun is WAY better - cheapest is a hot-air paint stripper from a DIY store, on reduced power via a triac controller or variac, but a hot-air rework tool like Hakko or Leister is ideal.

Another fairly good option is a hot-gas nozzle on a gas soldering iron like a Weller pyropen.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline MTron

• Regular Contributor
  • General hobbyist - modding, electronics, audio
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:01:57 am »

David.
A hot air gun is WAY better - cheapest is a hot-air paint stripper from a DIY store, on reduced power via a triac controller or variac, but a hot-air rework tool like Hakko or Leister is ideal.

Another fairly good option is a hot-gas nozzle on a gas soldering iron like a Weller pyropen.

Yea, hot air gun for paint striping is what i use, mine has 2 settings, i use it on the low one, few sec of hot air is usually enough to do the job. There may be better options, but since i already owned one and it works perfectly, its what i use
Your friendly neighborhood.....Dental Student
 - Latest Project - SIPP EL84 Tube Amp
 - Computer building/modding, IT, and DIY electronics!

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:37:45 am »
Yea, hot air gun for paint striping is what i use, mine has 2 settings, i use it on the low one, few sec of hot air is usually enough to do the job. There may be better options, but since i already owned one and it works perfectly, its what i use
That's what I used too,  but the heat gun I've got is huge and noisy (I do a lot of work late at night) so it feels like a bit of a blunt instrument for the job.
Any more I use a cigarette lighter, though I once had a trigger operated grill lighter that was great for tight spaces.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:12:53 pm »
cigarette lighter and some skill are all i need. never need more.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 04:30:49 pm »
Well after allot of searching .... ended up to the latest model , of the Creative series...

For start It looks like a toy , with this color on it , but under closer inspection,
it has all the " good stuff " of  what an worthy hot gun should have..  

Metallic head , an protector  around the head , so to not burn your self by an accident,
plus  new stand !!    This detail gave me the kick that I was needed so to forget the funny look and get it.

Most of those items do look alike ,  and funny enough they all have the same specs.
But the new stand ,  its the most interesting part , because at the bench you have many other things around, and any accident with this item , will damage anything next to it .
Or  the tool it self ,  if it rolls and crash on the floor ..  " hits the dust "  ;D

It Shipped before few hours from UK ..  

About the cigarette lighter ,  the problem is that you can not move it left and right fast enough.
its ok for very thin in diameter heatshrink materials ,  but the truth is that the heat gun ,
gives more flexibility ...

I did not liked to get an full size one ,  I can get those very cheaply , the problem are the space,
you can not use the full size one , when you do assembly of small electronic devices.
The small one are more practical  from my view.    

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:34:02 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:10:29 am »
how big is the diameter you are talking about kiriakos? the largest in my stock is around 7mm or so.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 02:29:03 pm »
I use a jet lighter like this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1320
Mark Higgins

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 03:55:15 pm »
how big is the diameter you are talking about kiriakos? the largest in my stock is around 7mm or so.

Well its not totally up to the size, but more up to the mass , for instance ,
in some cables that will be installed  for outdoor use,  I use more than one , I could use even three tubes over the same spot , so to get mechanical strength equal with the original insulation .

In any case, above the 15mm diameter , you need the full scale hot gun.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf