Author Topic: So I got a new job...  (Read 9090 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: So I got a new job...
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 06:45:45 pm »
I greatly depends on where you live. In the NL you can spot lots of Teslas on the road but once you go near or over the border they are gone.

I would guess that's more a factor of the cost than anything else. Cars are crazy expensive in some nations compared to others, and some areas have a lot more wealth. I live in a region which unfortunately has a large number of wealthy tech workers so there are a lot of Teslas and other high end cars. I say unfortunately because it has driven housing prices into the stratosphere and my hometown has lost the quiet rural feel, overtaken by snooty wineries.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 04:00:02 am »
I greatly depends on where you live. In the NL you can spot lots of Teslas on the road but once you go near or over the border they are gone.

I'm not entirely sure how that relates to what I wrote. There are plenty of Teslas here on the road. My comment was giving a reason why a Tesla would not work for me.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:19 am »
How come nobody has yet commercialized the idea of temporarily converting a pure EV into a plug in hybrid by attaching a generator trailer?

BMW has an electric car with a range extender motor/generator tossed in.

Then you drag around an engine, generator, transmission, exhaust and all kinds of things to bring into the dealer for a nice revenue stream.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 07:57:51 am »
At Tesla Gigafactory 1!!

Sweet! Enjoy.
Hope it's not like Tesla and Space-X, they expect you to devote your life to them. i.e. you have no life outside of work.

And yet I drive a Chevy Volt... I hope to get a model 3 soonish (I'm still 18 lol) Who else is planning on getting the model 3?

You are getting a Model 3 at 18yo?  :-//

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 07:59:39 am »
How come nobody has yet commercialized the idea of temporarily converting a pure EV into a plug in hybrid by attaching a generator trailer?

I really like the concept of the generator range extender cars. Makes them more practical for when you need it.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:59 pm »
Congratulations. First Vincent and now you. Eventually there will be enough EEV blog members working for Tesla that Elon will have to listen to our demands! hahahaha (Evil laugh)
Who's vincent?

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but Vincent, Free_Electron here of the forum, works for Tesla if I am not mistaken.  I suggest anybody who has not done so, go listen to his The Amp Hour episode with Chris and Dave. Very entertaining and informative.

which episode is it? #169?
http://theamphour.com/169-an-interview-with-vincent-himpe-escaped-electron-elocution/

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »
Congratulations. First Vincent and now you. Eventually there will be enough EEV blog members working for Tesla that Elon will have to listen to our demands! hahahaha (Evil laugh)
Who's vincent?

Vincent Himpe is a forum member and head of circuit board design at your new firm.  Also the author of the current state of the art implementation of Jim Williams' picosecond pulser  which many of us wish he had time to make available in kit form.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 10:12:18 pm »

I really like the concept of the generator range extender cars. Makes them more practical for when you need it.

With all the losses in a mechanical drive train (iirc about 30%!) I've wondered if they will ever build a motor / generator car that powers electric motors (hub motors?g

Offline iamdarkyoshiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 08:55:48 pm »
At Tesla Gigafactory 1!!

Sweet! Enjoy.
Hope it's not like Tesla and Space-X, they expect you to devote your life to them. i.e. you have no life outside of work.

And yet I drive a Chevy Volt... I hope to get a model 3 soonish (I'm still 18 lol) Who else is planning on getting the model 3?

You are getting a Model 3 at 18yo?  :-//

Well I'm 19 now, model 3 isn't coming out yet but I do plan on getting one when they do come out. Or I'll lease one. All I can say is that the electronics are freaking amazing in the car :D

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 09:06:02 pm »
I'll buy an electric car when 1.) oil goes extinct, or 2.) when someone invents a portable fusion reactor allowing for infinite drive time.
I'll buy a gasoline buggy when 1.) horses go extinct, or 2.) when someone invents a portable drilling rig and refinery allowing for infinite drive time.
I'm electronically illiterate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf