Author Topic: Social justice for AI is around the corner  (Read 2906 times)

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Social justice for AI is around the corner
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 10:03:58 pm »
Yeah. I'm now wondering whether all the hammers in the world will end up protesting for being constantly hit in the head. And should we feel guilty about that?

:popcorn:

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:20:23 pm »
I don't get the issue, I swear at real people more than I swear at AI in fact. That's because I don't use virtual assistants, and have a particularly foul mouth.

I think this is somewhat funny, I don't think it reflects how people treat other people though, because the key distinction, and why people might be more willing to swear at their Alexa or Siri is purely because they don't have feelings to hurt like humans. If nobody gave a shit, everybody would be swearing way more than they already do, which would be impressive considering how much the average person swears.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:39:29 pm »
As ridiculous as the "issue" may sound, we are not spared from some stupid campain in the media and one day you will wake up to the public starting judging you on how you talk to Alexa.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:36:06 am »
As ridiculous as the "issue" may sound, we are not spared from some stupid campain in the media and one day you will wake up to the public starting judging you on how you talk to Alexa.

That's probably true, which is pretty scary. The machines will be the next minority to defend. Machinism will become a thing. |O

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:07 am »
I can see it now, if you suspect that Alexa is spying on you, you'll be called racist or something.  :-DD

"Just because some robots spy on you does not mean they're all like that!"

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 02:29:29 am »
If you ever get a stupid voice-recognition bot when talking to customer support, swear loudly and as much as you can. That's the best way to get to a human --- they're programmed to recognise expletives and switch you to an actual person.

The following users thanked this post: Bud, Electro Detective

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:31 am »
If you ever get a stupid voice-recognition bot when talking to customer support, swear loudly and as much as you can. That's the best way to get to a human --- they're programmed to recognise expletives and switch you to an actual person.

Or like the server that blocked one of my work emails because the combination of the recipient's name & ABN number looked a bit like a rather nasty slur upon Indigenous Australians.

Obviously not AI, but I have had a bit of innocent fun making "Microsoft Sam" say vulgar or self deprecating things:-

"I am Microsoft Sam & I am a moron!" & so on.

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 03:48:59 am »
https://xconomy.com/national/2018/01/23/hey-alexa-whats-in-a-name-actually-lets-call-you-amazon/2/

sighh...

Barking commands to your female-named, female-voiced assistant—rudely instructing “her” to carry out this or that menial task—reinforces outdated, misogynist stereotypes about the roles of women and men.
There you go. I told you.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 04:35:28 am »
That's probably true, which is pretty scary. The machines will be the next minority to defend. Machinism will become a thing. |O

Maybe that's why a few around here don't seem to like one of my friends who is "part machine"...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 04:54:06 am »
What about Bondaged Sex AI robots then? Im not supposed to say "suggestive" titillate things to "IT" during the act as its a part of the act today? What if Sexy Alexa ties me up against my will? :scared:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 12:12:51 pm »
https://xconomy.com/national/2018/01/23/hey-alexa-whats-in-a-name-actually-lets-call-you-amazon/2/

sighh...

Barking commands to your female-named, female-voiced assistant—rudely instructing “her” to carry out this or that menial task—reinforces outdated, misogynist stereotypes about the roles of women and men.

Yeah, but in context, it makes some sense that kids may not know you are speaking to an "it" & assume that is the way to address real people.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 12:54:26 pm »
i wonder how long it will be before you get bum  robots that just ask you for energy. Like your walking on the street and some bullshit flies up to you and wants to use your portable cell phone battery or whatever. And bots that steal power from external light fixtures and stuff to keep running indefinitely (think advertisement robots, crime bot swarms (i.e. package thieves, cell phone snatchers, etc). If you ever played the Descent videogame series you will know just how fucking annoying robo-thieves are. I would use tactical nuclear weapons on those fuckers. Imagine a guerilla advertiser using some high efficiency robot to make a illegal flying sign.

I think eventually there will be a "Butlerian Jihad".

But this makes hard-logic relating to ethics a GOOD idea guys. Like embedded in a processor subsystem or something that is difficult to circumvent when people finally make robot-specific ASICs.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:02:37 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 05:14:32 pm »

sighh...

Blame Stanley Kubrick for the female voices of computers. After 2001 a space odyssey, people weren't too keen on male computer voices, for some odd reason.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 05:23:16 pm »

sighh...

Blame Stanley Kubrick for the female voices of computers. After 2001 a space odyssey, people weren't too keen on male computer voices, for some odd reason.

I seem to remember the US air-force doing research on using male vs. female voices for cockpit warnings and concluding that female was best because pilots responded more calmly 

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 05:33:10 pm »
i wonder how long it will be before you get bum  robots that just ask you for energy. Like your walking on the street and some bullshit flies up to you and wants to use your portable cell phone battery or whatever. And bots that steal power from external light fixtures and stuff to keep running indefinitely (think advertisement robots, crime bot swarms (i.e. package thieves, cell phone snatchers, etc). If you ever played the Descent videogame series you will know just how fucking annoying robo-thieves are. I would use tactical nuclear weapons on those fuckers. Imagine a guerilla advertiser using some high efficiency robot to make a illegal flying sign.

I think eventually there will be a "Butlerian Jihad".

Ha Ha, robots that are addicted to "jacking-on" (Futurama)!

Ahh Descent, thanks for the memories.  I loved that game, though I wish had those countless hours back that I pissed away playing it...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:16:31 pm by BillB »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 06:45:28 pm »
Yeah, but in context, it makes some sense that kids may not know you are speaking to an "it" & assume that is the way to address real people.

It's a legitimate concern, but the reasoning is completely delirious IMO.

The problem and concern is clearly that kids could at some point not be able to tell a real person from a machine. Not the fact they would swear at it.
For all we know, they could also sing poems to them or fall in love with them. That wouldn't make it any better.

But I'm wondering how low we are going to sink?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:29 am »
The problem and concern is clearly that kids could at some point not be able to tell a real person from a machine. Not the fact they would swear at it.
For all we know, they could also sing poems to them or fall in love with them. That wouldn't make it any better.
Not just kids, one of the 3D printing groups on Facebook had a problem with users not being nice in response to an announcement video - they apparently think that because the announcer is part machine, they're free to insult and abuse her just like a machine.

The game Detroit: Become Human has an interesting test for the player that involves a "cute girl" that's actually 100% machine - is it alive or not?

(Fast forward to 7:35 for the relevant scene.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 03:24:42 am »
hmm I wonder how long before we have lgbtIOT

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 03:29:10 am »
No need, as solar energy is free.

i wonder how long it will be before...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:33:35 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 03:31:23 am »
hmm I wonder how long before we have lgbtIOT
IGBTs are quite slow and would not find too many uses in AI hardware - the primary side of the power supply is about the only reasonable use I can think of. What might be a game changer are GaN transistors, but still restricted to the power supply until they figure out how to economically make complex ASICs based on them.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 04:23:36 am »
IGBTs are...
LOL
Sorry if I missed you joke but it was LGBTIOT

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 04:24:28 am »