Author Topic: Someone needs to Slap the Microsoft-Skype abortion employees  (Read 8995 times)

Online DimitriPTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
Someone needs to Slap the Microsoft-Skype abortion employees
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:56 pm »
Twice!
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

The following users thanked this post: evb149, fourtytwo42

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
Re: Someone needs to Slap the Microsoft-Skype abortion employees
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:01:18 am »
Twice!

Yep, preferably repeatedly..

What was once mostly functional has now become a rainbow farting unicorn interface which is terrible to use...  :palm:

On my phone, calls always start in speaker mode, rather than normal ear piece mode and I can't find any settings to fix it..  :horse:

Ash.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:49:53 am »
What was once mostly functional has now become a rainbow farting unicorn interface which is terrible to use...  :palm:

David2 (who is a Microsoft fanboy), concurs.

The following users thanked this post: Ash

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:12:40 am »
Huh? This sounds like a rant coming from a schizophrenic off his meds.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:23:13 am »
If you can get past the gamery exterior (I can, as I am a gamer), Discord is the most promising offer. Google Hangouts is actually pretty decent too, although the UI is a bit of a mess.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:32 am »
Yep, preferably repeatedly..
    :-+
Maybe if they are too busy getting slapped around they'll quit screwing it up.
Although, smart idiots in large numbers should never be underestimated.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:09 am »
I rarely use it but as far as I could tell the "Skype for business" thing doesn't work with the normal Skype application and needs some stupid plugin that doesn't work with Firefox (or at least I couldn't get it to work)  :-BROKE
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:25:00 am »
We've given up on Skype and adopted VSee instead, nice clean minimalist interface, very low system overhead, secure, better video and no ads.

That pretty much makes up the 'declaration of independence' set now... Firefox instead of Chrome / IE. DuckDuckgo instead of Google. Sumatra PDF instead of Adobe and NO FLASH!
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Alex Nikitin, Electro Detective

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:01:42 pm »
I rarely use it but as far as I could tell the "Skype for business" thing doesn't work with the normal Skype application and needs some stupid plugin that doesn't work with Firefox (or at least I couldn't get it to work)  :-BROKE

Ah, yes.. Marketing..

Skype for Business used to be called Lync. It has absolutely nothing to do with Skype.  You might be able to use Skype credits to call out to a Lync service, but that would be just like a normal phone call.

For what it is worth, even friends of mine that work for Microsoft think this was crazy..

I also try to avoid Skype when possible, but I can't always.

Ash.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 12:18:45 pm »
Skype for business is a total pile of shit. We got it when we inherited office 365 when the CTO decided he'd had enough of running exchange. This was mandated by the business as the one true tool because of the spec sheet. One year down the line and we're using Slack internally (started on an internal rebellion by the sales team) and just phone each other and clients.

Offline Kevman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 01:54:44 pm »
We just switched to Skype from IBM Sametime.

It seems better for the most part (wouldn't be hard), but the UI is confusing and very, extremely, astonishingly, impressively slow. I can type a whole sentence, push enter, and alt-tab away before anything updates on the screen. Same thing with highlighting- Click, drag, release, wait, contemplate life choices, check personal phone, maybe grab a bite to eat and then it'll show the highlighting and I can control-C it.

I'm also not a fan of the whole "everything is giant and takes up half the screen for no reason" thing, either.

Offline 691175002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 02:12:19 pm »
Failures of this magnitude are rarely precipitated by the programmers themselves.

Some middle manager drank too much of the "touch ui" kool-aid, then paid outside consultants $2mil to tell him what consumers want in an app.

He forwarded the resulting 60 slide presentation to the programming team and told them to make something exactly as described.  Any dissenting opinions were remvoved from the team as they were not team players.

After destroying the morale of his programmers and creating a worthless monstrosity, the manager then got the marketing department to put together a snazzy presentation and presented his successful Skype 2.0 project to the next layer of management.  This upper management has of course never used Skype before and simply loved the colorful charts in the PowerPoint.

Everyone above ground level thinks that Skype 2.0 is a smashing success.

The following users thanked this post: strangersound

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »
The linux client for Skype is basically unmaintained.

I don't think I will even get it properly installed anymore if I reinstall my computer this autumn. Skype is not in the normal package repositories, and I believe they made some (at first sight) silly change to the client once more.

Also, the client has been severely crapified. Incoming calls that I notice on mobile can't be taken on PC. Video doesn't work on iOS. When I close the main window of Skype during an audio conversation the microphone drops. When someone wants to send me a photo I get a link that asks me to sign in on the website, which then doesn't work. And above all, Skype doesn't listen to normal system shutdown commands, thus hanging out till a timeout which takes a few minutes.

I only use Skype for calls with family because they have trouble learning new stuff, but if I could drop it today I would have.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 04:23:51 pm »
Google Hangout is no better. Another moving-target jumbled-mess user interface.  Half the time my collaboarator calls me, the audio comes out as chipmunk-speak and we have to re-connect.  And web-cams regularly go out of compatibility and then return after a few weeks.   :scared:

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 04:42:20 pm »
Twice!
What do you hate about Skype? Is it just the UI? I've never used it before. One of the things which annoys me about Microsoft is, they keep changing the UI for the software on a whim, often taking a step backwards, in terms of speed, intuitiveness and usability. I hate to think how many hours from employers have been lost, as their staff try to figure out how the latest piece of Microsoft software works. I wish they'd keep the UI the same, only changing little bits, when new features are added.

Offline sasa

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 05:02:32 pm »
If this refer to a version from a linux repository (4.x, i think), then yes, it is quite problematic.

However, latest beta for linux (5.4.0.1) from their official site is usable, at least chat (have not tested voice call). Some options missing though, as logging conversation history...

Edit: Voice call works fine. I do not have web camera to test video as well.

All in all, beta is at least usable and UI looks good enough.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:12:08 pm by sasa »
The 30+ years professional desktop software designer and software engineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 06:57:08 pm »
What do you hate about Skype? Is it just the UI?
It started with not letting me log in until I added a "rela name" etc.
Then the skype account became a "microsoft account".
Then Skype can't connect (check you internet connection) numerous youtube videos on how to "fix it", haven't tried all the methods yet.

All I need is the basic skype functionality but it seems all skype users have fallen victims to the Malakosoft  marketing machine.

The software changed/got crippled/broken/discontinued/unsupported   to accomodate Satan's needs. Not mine.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:43:48 pm »
"One of the things which annoys me about Microsoft is, they keep changing the UI for the software on a whim, often taking a step backwards, in terms of speed, intuitiveness and usability."

Well then, at least that's being consistent with their other products.  :D

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 07:50:52 pm »
We use Circuit, seems to work well but it's not cheap.

Slack was highly recommended by a client but I've no direct experience

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:50 pm »
"One of the things which annoys me about Microsoft is, they keep changing the UI for the software on a whim, often taking a step backwards, in terms of speed, intuitiveness and usability."

Well then, at least that's being consistent with their other products.  :D

It's a similar mentality as supermarkets deliberately moving their stuff around to entice you to you try new things whether you want to or not. The problem is that when all you want to do is to make a frickin' phone call it's astonishingly tiresome and becomes the direct antithesis of a "productivity" tool as you have to hunt and pick trying to find how to do things.

This has been happening for some time though. It's not uncommon to prepare for a conference call at 10:00 only to find the f***ing thing needs to spend five minutes updating plus a reboot, meantime you miss the beginning of the call, or worse, everyone else has already hung up waiting for you.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 12:15:53 am »
Failures of this magnitude are rarely precipitated by the programmers themselves.

Some middle manager drank too much of the "touch ui" kool-aid, then paid outside consultants $2mil to tell him what consumers want in an app.

He forwarded the resulting 60 slide presentation to the programming team and told them to make something exactly as described.  Any dissenting opinions were remvoved from the team as they were not team players.

After destroying the morale of his programmers and creating a worthless monstrosity, the manager then got the marketing department to put together a snazzy presentation and presented his successful Skype 2.0 project to the next layer of management.  This upper management has of course never used Skype before and simply loved the colorful charts in the PowerPoint.

Everyone above ground level thinks that Skype 2.0 is a smashing success.

And then, that manager is promoted to a trendy European subsidiary. 

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 03:08:08 am »
Just got caught by the update last night (had wifi on and charging, which meant auto update went through), I agree on the unicorn farts description, you can see all the tapeworms dancing.

Equally on the microsoft forums, people with similar opinions have been told that in a few months, any pre V8 versions will be force disconnected  and told to update. as they wish to ensure "software uniformity"

This to me is like when dropbox killed XP, A tool i liked and recommended, took a hard sharp turn to something that i hate, as now i am invested in using it,

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 06:44:19 am »
Skype for business is a total pile of shit. We got it when we inherited office 365 when the CTO decided he'd had enough of running exchange. This was mandated by the business as the one true tool because of the spec sheet. One year down the line and we're using Slack internally (started on an internal rebellion by the sales team) and just phone each other and clients.

Seventy thousand concurrent connections (out of a total user base of 150,000) and twenty thousand of those with enterprise voice going well here thanks.

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 06:46:47 am »

You might be able to use Skype credits to call out to a Lync service, but that would be just like a normal phone call.

You don't need PSTN breakout to make calls between Skype and Skype for Business.

It's also very easy to set up SfB to work with Skype once the edge servers are running properly for federation.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 07:08:43 am »
We just moved to zoom. Person to person is free, group conferences are free up to 40 minutes. Then it ads up...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf