Author Topic: spilled a little water on pc now no signal on screen  (Read 3147 times)

Offline nvidiaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
spilled a little water on pc now no signal on screen
« on: December 11, 2018, 09:59:59 am »
so i spilled a little water on my computer and it went in the fan holes on top of the case i turned off pc took out gpu and dried it completely  and then and made sure pc and power supply motherboard where dry ect but now i get no signal on the screen when i powered it back on so i thought the little bit of water killed the gpu  :( tried another gpu and same thing :(

this is my main pc i use its a only a i7 2600k 8gb ram 2x 1tb hdd and a gt 450 but i love this computer use it everyday and really hope i did not kill it because i really cant be bothered taking the hdd out and don't wanna spend money building another pc but for now i will just use my ryzen 5 pc till i can somehow fix this   

what can i try and do to fix this hope if i leave it unplugged overnight it will work in the morning

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: spilled a little water on pc now no signal on screen
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 05:30:08 pm »
How long was it operating while wet?  Did it fail immediately?  What exactly got wet inside?

Unless electrolytic corrosion took place over a period of time, usually drying out the system is enough to restore operation.

My ice maker upstairs leaked and dripped into my 10 year old P3 system which was my internet router causing it to fail.  After drying it out with an air compressor, I had it running within an hour.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 05:53:56 pm »
If it is an older type of display, with a LCD screen and backlight, that backlight was traditionally supplied by CCFL lamps.

CCFLs require a very high anode voltage, 600 to 700 volts if I recall correctly. Any water droplets would certainly kill the high voltage inverter.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:13:47 pm »
How long was it operating while wet?  Did it fail immediately?  What exactly got wet inside?

Unless electrolytic corrosion took place over a period of time, usually drying out the system is enough to restore operation.

My ice maker upstairs leaked and dripped into my 10 year old P3 system which was my internet router causing it to fail.  After drying it out with an air compressor, I had it running within an hour.

like 3 to 5 seconds as i turned it straight off  after i spilled the little bit of water

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:15:17 pm »
If it is an older type of display, with a LCD screen and backlight, that backlight was traditionally supplied by CCFL lamps.

CCFLs require a very high anode voltage, 600 to 700 volts if I recall correctly. Any water droplets would certainly kill the high voltage inverter.

but i did not spill anything on the lcd screen

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 02:35:45 am »
Unlikely that a core i7 would have a CCFL backlight.

I would let it dry longer, moisture under ICs can stay there a very long time. If it got into the voltage regulation sections it could easily have popped parts though.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 06:24:31 am »
i think when i tested my other gpu in this pc it killed it as i put it back into my old q6600 old gaming pc and now i get signal so i really don't wanna but ive taken the 2 1tb hdd out installed them in my ryzen 5 pc will just sell this pc for parts but would there be any way i could test if these 2 gpu work anymore because i really would like to keep them

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf