Author Topic: Storage tote racks - $69 from Bunnings [AU]  (Read 3490 times)

Online HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Storage tote racks - $69 from Bunnings [AU]
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:38:04 am »
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-47-piece-storage-bin-set-with-rack_p2583839

I've bought 3 of these so far. Best money I've spent. Really nice quality, the frame is very sturdy and the plastic tubs are fairly thick and solid. The totes are probably not ESD safe, but great for little connectors, adapters, short cables etc...

To replicate just one of these using traditional wall-mounted backing plates and buying the totes separately would have cost hundreds of dollars.

Not all stores stock them though, so check before you go.

:-+
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:40:42 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Storage tote racks - $69 from Bunnings [AU]
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:47:03 pm »
The tactix stuff is great value and so far seems to be good quality, I've got some of these

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-328-x-237-x-58mm-large-storage-container-with-divider_p2583556

from Homebase UK who were owned by Bunnings for a short while.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:43:20 pm »
I got a few of these through a friend who imports from the USA.  Overall size is 35 x 22 x 3.5cm.  They have 32 compartments, but there is ribbing in the lid that ensures no small parts can jump over the dividers into the next compartment - even when turned upside down or if stored on their edge, book style.

Also, the front and back bottom corners in each cell are rounded - so small, thin items cannot hide in them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:00:59 pm by Brumby »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:14:59 pm »
I got a few of these through a friend who imports from the USA.  Overall size is 35 x 22 x 3.5cm.  They have 32 compartments, but there is ribbing in the lid that ensures no small parts can jump over the dividers into the next compartment - even when turned upside down or if stored on their edge, book style.

Also, the front and back bottom corners in each cell are rounded - so small, thin items cannot hide in them.

Sure wish I had some of them!  I have since moved to a different storage solution.  Halcyon, we have Harbor Freight, jokingly called the one use tool store.  We can get wall mounted racks with 30 bins for $19.99 USD.  I just need to find the walls in my garage to put them up. |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:03:42 pm »
 I have several of those divided storage boxes for my model railroad parts. The company that makes them is Plano - you often find them with the fishing gear in stores like WalMart.
 The ones I have have a pair pf positive action latches that keep the lid locked closed, so not only do the parts not migrate over the top of the dividers, the lid also stays closed if you drop one. Now, if you have the lid open and knock it off your work bench....

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 01:12:58 am »

Thanks for the suggestion! I have a similar storage box for connectors etc... but as you said, small items like washers sneak in to other compartments between the lid and dividers. I'll take a look at these next time I'm in Bunnings.

Oh also, an update on the storage tote, the 6mm wide labels fit perfectly on the edge of each container. I set my labeller to a fixed size of 82mm so they were all uniform lengths. There is a cut-out in the front for paper/cardboard inserts, but they aren't very large so I didn't bother.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 01:23:40 am »
I have a similar storage box for connectors etc... but as you said, small items like washers sneak in to other compartments between the lid and dividers. I'll take a look at these next time I'm in Bunnings.

If you were to put heavy hardware like nuts, bolts and washers into these and want to store them book style, then I would advise some storage solution where there is some compression.  Otherwise the weight of the items might push the lid outwards and the ribbing potentially defeated.  I store mine flat, so it doesn't matter what's inside them.

I didn't get these from Bunnings - but you might find something similar there.  (Must have a look next time I'm in there.)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 01:52:12 am »

I've bought 3 of these so far. Best money I've spent...

That is fantastic value for money.
While Bunnings New Zealand stock quite a bit of Tactix brand stuff, they unfortunately do not stock that model.  :(
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 02:20:21 am »

I've bought 3 of these so far. Best money I've spent...

That is fantastic value for money.
While Bunnings New Zealand stock quite a bit of Tactix brand stuff, they unfortunately do not stock that model.  :(

Might be still worth having it shipped over?

11KG from Sydney to NZ = AUD$85

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 04:06:22 am »
@Halcyon,
Which freight company did you get that from?

If I go to Aus Post website I get the following:

Bunnings website AU says the shipping weight is 16.8kg.
Aus Post says AUD 103.81 for that weight on slowest snail.

But then the size of the parcel blows that completely.
Aus Post says:
Max. dimension: 140cm girth
To work out the girth of your parcel, use the formula:
(Width + Height) x 2 = girth
For example:
(30cm + 20cm) x 2 = 100cm girth

Bunnings website dimensions are W:1220 H:380 L:280
(122 + 38) * 2 = 320

Edit: To correct incorrect shipping dimensions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:10:19 am by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 04:45:42 am »
Don't let labels get in your way.

Girth will be calculated from the two smallest dimensions: 380 and 280 (millimetres I presume).  This gives a girth of 132cm which is within Australia Post limits - but the length of 122cm is over the 105 cm length limit.

For international shipments, the Australia Post postage calculator website doesn't have any provision for a length limit.  It just mentions the same limit on girth.  However, if you look further down the AusPost rabbit hole, the 105cm length limit still applies.  Even without that limit, Australia Post options start on the wrong side of $100.

So, those shipping figures can't have come from Australia Post.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 04:52:55 am »
@Halcyon,
Which freight company did you get that from?

Australia post. I didn't look up the exact weight or dimensions, I just guessed. Yes I can see how their "cubic weight" would bugger that up.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 05:02:21 am »
https://auspost.com.au/sending/check-sending-guidelines/size-weight-guidelines
According to Australia Post:
International parcels
International parcels are charged according to actual weight.

... which I find rather bizarre.  Cubic weights would be more of an issue on international shipments.  (Cubic volume is 0.13m3 which translates to a cubic weight of 32.45 kg - at the 250kg/m3 rate.)

16.8kg from Australia to NZ starts at $103.81 .... but the length limit of 105cm kills even that option.

Australia Post won't accept it - according to their web site.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:10:55 am by Brumby »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 05:56:20 am »
Yep, fair enough. How annoying.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 05:58:15 am »
You get used to Australia Post working with it almost daily.

BTW - that's no badge of honour.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 06:20:04 am »
I just noticed the site of Bunnings, ie Kent Town, we must live closely!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 06:32:44 am »
I went and had a look at this rack in the Nunawading store. It does look to be good value, and especially for the price. The smaller bins were a little too small for my needs but what I did notice was some other similarly branded bins with covers that might also fit this rack. They were $5 for a pair. https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-twin-pack-storage-tote-with-lids_p0033506

I was told this rack was a promotional item. Which means it will run out. And it is only in the larger stores.

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 06:43:12 am »
This beast of a looking set up would whet my whistle. I seem to have hoarded so many spares over the years and even though i have quite a few wall mounted drawers i'm sure this would be a great way to have a tidy up with... It's another Tactix brand via Bunnings.... Need to go see one, could be too big for my wee workshop.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/tactix-spinning-small-parts-organiser_p02584035

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 08:11:58 am »
I went and had a look at this rack in the Nunawading store. It does look to be good value, and especially for the price. The smaller bins were a little too small for my needs but what I did notice was some other similarly branded bins with covers that might also fit this rack. They were $5 for a pair. https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-twin-pack-storage-tote-with-lids_p0033506

I was told this rack was a promotional item. Which means it will run out. And it is only in the larger stores.

For me they were perfect. I had boxes full of small things such as SD cards, USB flash drives, adapters, etc... absolutely perfect for them.

Yes, I also heard that the $69 is a promotional price. How long they will last, I don't know. The store I went to had about 5 left in stock. They weren't disappearing quickly but they were a bit hard to find, you had to know they existed as they didn't have them on display and weren't located in the correct aisle (I found them, in the middle of the corridor between the front and rear aisles).

The other thing you can do is mix and match bins between racks. For example one of my racks has more of the larger ones where another has more of the smaller ones.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf