Author Topic: Storage/Parts boxes  (Read 18594 times)

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Storage/Parts boxes
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 08:44:32 am »
I just bought 12 raaco racks of 30 drawers (used) on a local graig list for 100€
seems a very good deal ...

Offline krolu

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 08:47:35 am »
I like drawers, they are nice if you label everything in front, I'm always out of time for that and then searching my ass off when looking for something:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 09:01:07 am »
Part of my problem is that I don't have acres of wall space - but I can arrange more 'depth'.  Pulling out one box with 32 compartments from a small area allows me to have more within reach than a comparatively shallow drawer system.

I keep getting told I've got too much crap.....  But I disagree.  The crap got thrown out a couple of years ago - after resting in the garage, undisturbed, for over 20 years.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 09:11:56 am »
32 compartment - about 35 x 22 x 3.5 cm with the lid that seals off each compartment ... That is, well enough to stop bits 'transferring' from one compartment to another.  (Don't think I'd be too trusting for loose 0402 or 0201 stuff ... but then those things loose are only really good as 'sand'.)

I have a friend who imports craft products from the USA - so I might see if they can get them...

Here is a US Amazon link to a smaller one
A lot of compartments in a small size.  I am going to try a couple. thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Darice-1157-11-13-7-Inch---8-6-Inch---1-37-Inch/dp/B001B0S2H6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470884570&sr=8-1&keywords=32+compartment+organizer

Strange pricing on these items

1-pack is $6.97
2-pack is $14.29

They probably don't sell many 2-packs
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 07:11:58 pm »
I keep the resistors on the tape they come in, write the value on and stick them in groups by value range. I don't hold a load of stock though (this is a path to disaster I found) and buy values on demand only from RS next day. I only buy quality parts and keep to certain constrained values and tolerances to keep things simple. These are all TE LR1F, Vishay MRS25 (both 0.6W 1% 50ppm), Bourns 3386 and one nice Bourns 10 turn which is quite handy to keep around. Anything used goes in a sweepings tray. No used parts go back in the storage boxes.

Have a photo.

Higher power resistors are bought and used straight away on breadboards. They never get stored.

Yeah, I think I'll use some variation on the method you use.  But, I think I'll use more than 5 or 6 bins -- perhaps 2 or 3 bins per decade or 2 or 3 decades per bin.

I have some old project boxes with components still in them and I'l probably break them up, some of them anyway, and store the pieces.  Maybe not put them in the Acro-Mils bins but in one of the 8 tubs I mentioned before.

I have very few inductor's and as I have some SMPS ideas I'll have to rectify that but I need to bone up on the types of inductor's I'll need.  I have a bunch of electrolytic and ceramic disc capacitors but all of them are in the 15-25 year old range though they should still be in good shape as they haven't seen any really high temps.

Amazon says my Acro-Mils storage boxes have arrived so maybe I'll have this all sorted out within a day or so.

Brian

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 08:50:38 pm »
Well, I ordered a couple of the Akro-Mills boxes -- the 64 bin version and the mixed one with both small and larger bins.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDH3JC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UOCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll see how these go and order more if/when I need to.

In addition, I have 8 tubs that are about 240mm x 170mm x 160mm I can use for bulk storage and larger items.  None of these are ESD but so long as you keep the vulnerable components in the ESD bags or sponges you should be OK.

Thanks for all the advise and feedback...

Brian

I used to use these but found them too easy to spill or knock over the whole cabinet.  I prefer the boxes now where the lids shut.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 08:58:10 pm »
Does anyone remember the small boxes radio shack used to sell for about $4.  Digikey sold assortment kits in the same ones as well.  I have a plastic toolbox that those fit in perfectly but it doesn't appear digikey or radio shack sells them anymore.  I want to find a couple more of that size.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 09:19:58 pm »
Well, I ordered a couple of the Akro-Mills boxes -- the 64 bin version and the mixed one with both small and larger bins.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDH3JC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UOCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll see how these go and order more if/when I need to.

In addition, I have 8 tubs that are about 240mm x 170mm x 160mm I can use for bulk storage and larger items.  None of these are ESD but so long as you keep the vulnerable components in the ESD bags or sponges you should be OK.

Thanks for all the advise and feedback...

Brian

I used to use these but found them too easy to spill or knock over the whole cabinet.  I prefer the boxes now where the lids shut.

That is a concern so I plan to secure them so they don't tip or fall.  Living in an apartment and not being able to build a more permanent shop/lab means I have to make do with less than ideal benches etc -- in my case I'm using a wire rack steel shelf unit that's 48" wide and about 18" deep by 72" high not only for my test equipment but also for my parts storage.  I've also secured my work table to it.  So, not nearly as secure as a full on wooden bench with 2x4 construction but, again, living in an apartment has its limitations.

Looking at the Acro-Mils boxes there's tab slots at the top of the back and I may attach some angle aluminum across both of them then tie the angle to the wire rack.  Instead of putting the boxes down on the wire shelf I have some 5mm thick peg-board I've painted flat black that I place on the wire shelf then the boxes go on top of that.  I did the same with my test equipment.  The o'scope was a bit of a problem as it would slip back when pushing the buttons on occasion but I fixed that by gluing down a bit of MDF to lock the feet in place and it no longer slides around.

I hope to have some picture up in a few days when I have this sorted out...

Brian

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 09:44:34 pm »
I don't have a permanent spot either.  Thats why I used things like http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/tackle-storage/tackle-boxes|/pc/104793480/c/104777280/sc/104621580/plano-174-4-by-8482-rack-system-8482-tackle-storage/1160433.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftackle-boxes%2F_%2FN-1100379%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104621580

They go in my closet when not in use them I carry them to where I'm going to work,

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 10:25:06 pm »
My DIY SMD resistors and caps - more info here: http://www.digitalunderpants.com/diy-smd-resistor-capacitor-kit/

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 11:09:55 pm »
I just throw the SMD parts in the bin after I'm done on a project - they're stupid cheap now!

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 11:58:43 pm »
I just throw the SMD parts in the bin after I'm done on a project - they're stupid cheap now!
People have different values.  I have a friend who has an income of over $1,000 a day and will spend a half of a day recycling bottles for $20.  I know if he had any SMDs, he would sweep them up and sort through them.  There are all kinds in this world.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 01:56:06 am »
Does anyone remember the small boxes radio shack used to sell for about $4.  Digikey sold assortment kits in the same ones as well.  I have a plastic toolbox that those fit in perfectly but it doesn't appear digikey or radio shack sells them anymore.  I want to find a couple more of that size.

Is this what you meant?  213mm long by 115mm deep (plus 2 hinges that poke out 4mm) by 38mm high.

It was a capacitor assortment from Tandy (RadioShack on Australian shores).  It had a green card (if I remember correctly) with the contents listed.  Some of those are probably still in there.... Maybe they all are....

I'm thinking I have another one buried somewhere.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 08:00:11 am »
People have different values.  I have a friend who has an income of over $1,000 a day and will spend a half of a day recycling bottles for $20.  I know if he had any SMDs, he would sweep them up and sort through them.  There are all kinds in this world.

It's a balance of time and money. Money is variable with effort. Time is not something you get to control.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 09:44:01 am »
For smaller things

https://www.amazon.com/Wen-Tai-Component-Small-Part-Snap-Organizer/dp/B00EINM3BE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51eEn4JXjJL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=NS1MWC4ECZ958FBRHHEG

I recently bought 50 of the smallest of those for £7.99 GBP from a Chinese vendor on Ebay and they represent very good value for money. I've reduced all my active SMD component storage from a couple of scruffy disorganized boxes of anti-static bags to a tray smaller than a letter/A4 sheet of paper.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 11:33:40 am »
these are very nice for smd storage. I have one and almost all smd fits in ...
http://aidetek.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=BOX-ALL&Category_Code=Encl

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 01:00:35 am »

Is this what you meant?  213mm long by 115mm deep (plus 2 hinges that poke out 4mm) by 38mm high.

It was a capacitor assortment from Tandy (RadioShack on Australian shores).  It had a green card (if I remember correctly) with the contents listed.  Some of those are probably still in there.... Maybe they all are....

I'm thinking I have another one buried somewhere.

That looks similar.  RS used to sell them for $4-5 empty and I got an assortment from digikey in one the same size.   I have a toolbox that looks like it was meant for them as it will hold 10 perfectly.  I have 7 so I want to get three more to fill in the 'missing' ones.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 04:46:13 am »
I ordered some boxes to store my wires, cables and adapters -- they should be here in a few days.  I built a pigeon hole rack around my instruments and the boxes will go into the pigeon holes to keep the cables clean and organized.

Should have some pics up in the 'show your lab' thread in a few days...

Brian

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2016, 08:43:28 pm »
hmm, if they made a case like the aidetek case kripton2035 posted but with the modular inserts like the ones ebclr posted.

Some of these look handy too http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/107/57000-1802.pdf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 01:18:05 am »
I received the shipment of three different sized boxes today and have already placed an order for a bunch more -- they work great for my application.

The smallest one fits my small pigeon holes and is appropriate for adapters etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ARYB6A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The medium sized ones work almost perfectly in most places and I've ordered a total of 8 of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XSK8T6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a couple spots with more room and the largest box fits that very nicely.  My scope probes and BNC stuff will go in there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ARYB8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I like about these boxes is that they seal well but don't require a huge increase in length or width to have the closure mechanism.  Many boxes waste 25% of the width and length for the rim and lid closure so you wind up with a storage volume about half of what it could be.  These boxes are more efficient this way and they fit my rack nicely.  My pigeon hole rack is 11.75" deep and the two smaller boxes can be put two to a hole.  I have 11 places I can use for storage and can use upwards of 21 boxes so I can keep things nicely organized.

Again, I'll upload some pics in a few days to the 'show us your lab' thread.  Maybe add a youtube video as well...

Brian

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 01:31:23 am »
How about the ammo cans sold at Costco stores (not online)?
They stack and will outlast any plastic, they can be used for anything

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 02:07:33 am »
Ammo cans are way too big and you can't see into them making it a bit harder to know what you're getting.  Yes, I've labeled everything, but being able to see inside makes it just that little bit quicker to find what you want.

Now if I was hording actual ammo then ammo cans would be the way to go...

Brian

Offline jonwil

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 08:33:31 am »
For people in Australia looking for a good option, I propose these
http://www.fischerplastics.com.au/product-range/clear-storage-boxes.aspx
Comes in various sizes with various sized compartments.

Offline bill.coghill

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:51 am »
I love the Fischer boxes. Bunning used to stock them but now they only have a cheap Chinese clone.

I mainly use the 5 slot smaller ones for connectors and parts like LEDs.
I don't know if I trust them for ESD sensitive parts however !

I also use a lot of the stacking IKEA boxes which are cheap enough, have lids and hold all the Digi-Key snaplocks nicely.

Bill

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline bill.coghill

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 10:28:21 am »
I love the Fischer boxes. Bunning used to stock them but now they only have a cheap Chinese clone.

I mainly use the 5 slot smaller ones for connectors and parts like LEDs.
I don't know if I trust them for ESD sensitive parts however !

I also use a lot of the stacking IKEA boxes which are cheap enough, have lids and hold all the Digi-Key snaplocks nicely.

Bill

Sorry. Just noticed I replied to a thread from 2016. They joys of browsing eevblog forum and not really paying attention !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf