Author Topic: Strange kickstarter projects - today: f.lashes  (Read 7942 times)

Offline BU508ATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Strange kickstarter projects - today: f.lashes
« on: June 28, 2017, 06:37:14 am »
Hello,

got a notice from a friend of mine about this kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flashes/flashes-fun-interactive-led-lashes

If you had ever the need to put some LEDs on your eyelid, this is the opportunity to go.  ;D  :palm:  :-//

BU508A
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
Re: Strange kickstarter projects - today: f.lashes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:04 am »
I could see these being pretty cool........

If you were like 3 years old.

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:48:51 am »
$40 a set and that raised already over $90,000!!!

What am I missing/doing wrong?
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:54:52 am »
That's exactly what I don't get, what do so many people find in that worth spending that kind of money.
I wonder why I bust my a$$ building sheds and fences in the sun.
Might be time for a career change

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:03:29 am »
That's exactly what I don't get, what do so many people find in that worth spending that kind of money.
I wonder why I bust my a$$ building sheds and fences in the sun.
Might be time for a career change

i can point you to any number of dumb teenage girls

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 07:03:45 am »
Yeah, there are plenty of festivals where these would be totally popular. $40 is pretty cheap actually. People pay that much for much less distinctive light up festival wear. I paid that much making some light up shoes that were a hit (now they are pretty common so I had to move on).

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:05:59 am »
they made 90k on the kickstarter campaign and you didn't because

1) they had the idea for this, they found a way to get thin wires and LEDS attached onto a very thin and narrow substrate that can fit around someone's eyelashes, and programmed a LED controller to flash them in different ways, and then marketed it to the world at large well enough that some group of 1000+ people decided they wanted it.

2) you didn't.

So, I guess in future, you need to come up with some ideas for things that would be useful and/or fun, come up with a marketing spiel to match, then make a plan to develop the product and the marketing campaign, and then execute the plans successfully before someone else does. Then run the campaign successfully, then manufacture and deliver the thousands of units to customers before someone else makes it for a fraction of your best price and floods the world with them.

good luck!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, buck converter

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:08:18 am »
Absolutely, credits to the team for coming up with the idea, designing it and making it a hit.

From a designer stand point, $40 is cheap but I'm surprised people spend it on that and yet they whine about having to pay $5 for a coffee or $2 for a jug of milk.

It's just that if someone had told me about that idea before, I would have said that he was out of his mind.

Good on them for making money out of something that crazy.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 09:07:04 am »
That really doesn't look like a good idea for eye safety to me.  Or comfortable at all.  The things people will do for fashion.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 09:13:42 am »
This is definitely one of those kickstarter projects that's in danger of being copied and available from Aliexpress before their campaign is finished.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 09:19:38 am »
So... good for drag queens performing on stage... or anyone else who wants the feeling of components stuck to their eyelids and flashing lights constantly in their peripheral vision?

10 points for being inventive, but realistically I can see these ending up in the garbage after a few uses.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
Yep, absolutely a gimmick (and yeah, probably going to be available on alibaba before their kickstarter ends, which is going to be interesting for the backers)

But people do pay $40 for a gimmick. They don't do it every day, but plenty of people living week to week can afford to do something like this occasionally if they think it is worth it... ie if it looks interesting and fun enough, or something that'll get them the right kind of attention at a party or a festival.

Not my thing, but I can definitely see how it would be plenty of people's thing.

And yeah, I wish I'd thought of it, too..
:-)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:56 am »
Not my thing, but I can definitely see how it would be plenty of people's thing.

Just like the Apple iPhone.

... wait... there you go... i.lashes ;-) Brand new idea for you! Just add Bluetooth.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 10:30:04 am »
$40 a set and that raised already over $90,000!!!

What am I missing/doing wrong?

You're probably missing an opportunity by not coming up with a marketable idea and then not doing anything about it.

Whether it is a frivolous idea or not is immaterial. The designer undoubtedly had a set of challenges to solve.

That's not $90,000 in profit, not even close.

Offline FreddyVictor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 10:31:16 am »
do they turn off whhe you close your eyes  :D

wow $40, wish I'd thought of this !

yeah, just a few concerns about safety on this kinda thing

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 02:08:31 pm »
Ok...if this :bullshit: can be successful, I'm going to start a campaign to make Bigclivedotcom's "Disco-Piss Urine Colorizer" and make a pretty penny. >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 03:46:45 pm »
I mean, many women glue fake lashes to their eyes every day. This really is not that much of a hassle compared to what people do for fashion as desert festivals where your sexual fitness is determined by how cleverly you can use el wire and leds on your person at night and how many BTUs your solar setup can keep air conditioned during the day.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 03:45:25 am »
Nice bit of engineering, really. The LEDs must be individually addressable, to get the flow effects. Presumably the tilt sensor is in the battery unit.

Now, if they can add an accelerometer to the lash pieces, and get the animation rate up enough... they could do graphics as the wearer blinks. That could be visually quite dramatic.

Your eyes could literally say "UP HERE". Or "X X" or whatever. Add a bluetooth UI from a phone app - endless punny possibilities.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline BU508ATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 06:06:22 am »
Nice bit of engineering, really. The LEDs must be individually addressable, to get the flow effects. Presumably the tilt sensor is in the battery unit.

Yes, I think, that there was a lot of engineering going into this piece of ... accessory.

Probably they have put in a µC (µC die) into the plastic to receive the data with I²C and address then the LEDs. The wire (as you can see in the photo) is pritty thin
and it should be imho flexible and robust at the same time, which means, that there won't be lot of individual inuslated wires.

My guess.

BU508A
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »
This is definitely one of those kickstarter projects that's in danger of being copied and available from Aliexpress before their campaign is finished.
OK, i was wrong.
Banggood, not Aliexpress.

https://www.banggood.com/Fashionable-Sparkle-Interactive-LED-Light-Up-Waterproof-Eyelashes-for-Party-Pub-Club-Bar-p-1170806.html?p=WL250420753620130

Controller looks identical. Wonder if this is KS just reselling a Chinese product, Chinese subcontractor selling out teh back door, or bangood ripping off pictures?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 05:22:09 am »

Banggood, not Aliexpress.

Once you know what to search for they can be found....

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-LED-eyelashes-party.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.9bDjBC&site=glo&SearchText=LED+eyelashes+party&g=y&SortType=total_tranpro_desc&groupsort=1&tc=af&initiative_id=SB_20170720211756

Some with orders, none with feedback yet, so I guess it's at least possible they have knocked off the kickstarter idea and the kickstarter is legit.  Note that some of those aliexpress ones are using the same images as the f.lashes kickstarter
~~~

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 11:11:32 am »
The Kickstarter started June 21 2017, but if you search for the Chinese phrase for "LED eyelashes", you get articles like this from many years before:

http://www.ilishi.com/yuanchuang/huanyusouqi/20131127/1243.html

(Pictures are broken at the moment but searching the name of that page in Google images will show you what I mean.)

My guess is this product has existed obscurely for a while in the Chinese market before someone noticed, and now they want a piece of the action too.

Looking forward to a bigclivedotcom review...

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 12:16:09 pm »
~~~

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 02:37:06 am »
...and bigclivedotcom fails to disappoint again:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf