Author Topic: Maker Faire Sydney - Fireside Chat  (Read 3217 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Maker Faire Sydney - Fireside Chat
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:23:45 pm »
I will be interviewed in a fireside chat by the CEO of Sydney based venture capital/incubator/Accelerator company BlueChilli at the Sydney Maker faire August 16th from 12:30-1:15pm
http://www.bluechilli.com/
Anyone got any ideas on what we should discuss?
Either for me about content creation, youtube, the blog, hardware, electronics industry etc, or for Sebastien about VC/Incubator type stuff.
Everyone is of course invited, the more the merrier.
Yes, I'll be recording it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:25:31 pm by EEVblog »

Offline JonnyBoats

• Regular Contributor
    • BitsConnect
Re: Maker Faire Sydney - Fireside Chat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »
Dave,

Two topics I would be interested in are:

1) The changing role of the VC. With funding sources like Kickstarter, IndieGoGo etc., why should a start-up deal with a VC (and give up a lot of equity)? Also how has the role of the VC changed in the last few years and what do they have to offer beyond money? Related to this is that it often costs much less to bring a kickstarter project to market then it cost to setup a lab, build a prototype, bring to market etc 10-20 years ago.

2) Is education doing a good job of preparing people for an entrepreneurial world? Traditionally someone getting a EE (or most other) degrees would set his sights on getting a job as the first step in life after graduating. It was not that long ago that a lucky (and good) engineer could look forward to a decades long career with a major firm like IBM or Bell Labs. Today senior engineers in their later years (50 +) often face layoffs and seem  for whatever reason to have difficulty becoming an entrepreneur. My theory is that the problem does not lie in the mechanics of doing a kickstarter project for example but rather the belief system that most workers have internalized over the years which make them prisoners of their own minds. On the other end of the age spectrum, here in the USA at least, there seem to be lots of college graduates in their early to mid twenties who are either unemployed or under-employed; why don't we see more of these people being entrepreneurial, even if it is a side business while they work a day job at McDonald's?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:14:19 pm »
Great questions, thanks.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:02:59 am »
To flip the previous question a bit.

I think anyone would say that education helps open doors so that's a dead end. Does he have any non engineers on staff doing development work that would normally be done by an engineer? If so how did they get the job? If not would his hiring system of hiring allow it?

May also be worthwhile to give him the Dave interview tip: "Take a board / project with you, show them what you can do".

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 12:00:11 am »
Here it is, this Sat, be there or be square:
http://makerfairesydney.com/2014/08/13/maker-talks-trends-in-hardware-innovation-featuring-dave-jones-from-eev-blog/

The title is "Trends in Hardware Innovation".
Anyone got any suggestions about what trends I should talk about?  ;D

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:37:21 am »
how does the hardware startup environment of Australia compare to places like Silicon Valley, Tel Aviv, etc? Are we on par? I'm guessing the answer will be no  ;)

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 02:01:43 am »
I'm sure a lot of that has to do with whatever regulations the local/state/federal government has in a given area.

Move government red tape could mean slower adoption.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf