Author Topic: Supplier Agreement Code Of Conduct Overkill?  (Read 16993 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Supplier Agreement Code Of Conduct Overkill?
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:16 am »
I've got to sign a supplier agreement (me being the supplier) for a company who shall remain nameless.

These are a few of the gems from it:
We select and promote our people on the basis of their merit and qualifications, without discrimination or concern for religion, race, colour, national origin, age or disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression;
You affirm that you have similar policies in place.

We believe that a workplace should be civilised and safe; we will not tolerate discrimination, sexual harassment, or offensive behaviour of any kind, which includes the persistent demeaning of individuals through words or actions, the distribution or display of offensive material, or the use or possession of weapons on our or client premises
You affirm that you have similar policies in place. and that you will respect our workplace and people as described.

We will not tolerate the use, distribution or possession of illegal drugs, or our people reporting for work under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
You affirm that you have similar policies in place and that you will respect our workplace and people as described.

We will not knowingly create work which contains statements, suggestions or images offensive to general public decency and will give appropriate consideration to the impact of our work on minority segments of the population, whether that minority be by race, religion, national origin, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age or disability;
Wherever relevant, you confirm that you have equivalent standards for your work.

We will not undertake work which is intended or designed to mislead, including in relation to social, environmental and human rights issues;
Wherever relevant, You affirm that you have similar policies in place.

We will not give, offer or accept bribes, whether in cash or otherwise, to or from any third party, including but not restricted to government officials, clients and brokers or their representatives. We will collectively ensure that all staff understand this policy through training, communication and by example;
This applies directly to you.

We will not offer any items of personal inducement to secure business. This is not intended to prohibit appropriate entertainment or the making of occasional gifts of minor value unless the client has a policy which restricts this;

We will not accept for our personal benefit goods or services of more than nominal value from suppliers, potential suppliers or other third parties;

We will not have any personal or family conflicts of interest within our businesses or with our suppliers or other third parties with whom we do business;

No corporate contributions of any kind, including the provision of services or materials for less than the market value, may be made to politicians, political parties or action committees, without the prior written approval of our board;
You should have your own policy regarding such contributions, together with appropriate authorisation procedures.

We will continue to strive to make a positive contribution to society and the environment by: maintaining high standards of marketing ethics; respecting human rights; respecting the environment; supporting community organisations; supporting employee development; and managing significant corporate responsibility risks in our supply chain.

Well, yeah, ok, I'm all for that stuff, but I can't help but think PISS OFF!

Anyone else seen one of these kinds of things before?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:36:36 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Supplier Agreement Code Of Conduct Overkill?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:35:22 am »
Those seem reasonable if it is for YOUR OWN company. 
But requiring them for external suppliers seems way over the top.
Please tell us this isn't some mainstream electronics entity.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:37:43 am »
Please tell us this isn't some mainstream electronics entity.

No, it's not.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:50:06 am »
Seems like someone's trying to change the world all by themselves...

They are telling you that your principles may not be good enough, so you'd better sign up to theirs.

I can understand why you might want to tell them to piss off.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:51:32 am »
Suppliers and consultants that work with my employer have to do the same.
As employee, I go through a code of conduct re-training and certification every year.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:57:42 am »
From the way it reads I would think that this is a media company and nothing to do directly with hardware. Its the sort of BS they go in for on there contract documentation then don't bother with complying themselves.

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:49 am »
I'm asked to sing this kind of stuff all the time. I'm a software guy working on contract base.
It seems almost company with headquarters in the USA has them.
Most of it is already in the constitutional laws of almost every decent country. (discrimination, sexual harassment, bribes, etc. etc.)

There are probably also some references to other documents. (to which you have to comply also)
Ask for those documents!!!

Scan those documents also for references to other document. Some of them will probably online and can change from day to day.
Again, ask for ALL these documents too.

Eventually you will find some references to documents where you don't have access to because you are not on the payroll.
There will probably also references to webpages or internal phone directories where you can file reports if they are not adhering to their own rules. (some sort of internal ombudsman)

Keep asking for all those documents and access to the online dynamic webpages which are referenced.
Don't sign anything until all of this is done by them.
In the meantime they wil start doing business with you. (money alway seems to be more important.

By the time you have everything, you are probably done doing business with them.  :-DD

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:05:03 am »
Let me guess. It is a Merikan company.

We will not give, offer or accept bribes, whether in cash or otherwise, to or from any third party, including but not restricted to government officials, clients and brokers or their representatives. We will collectively ensure that all staff understand this policy through training, communication and by example;

We will not offer any items of personal inducement to secure business. This is not intended to prohibit appropriate entertainment or the making of occasional gifts of minor value unless the client has a policy which restricts this;

We will not accept for our personal benefit goods or services of more than nominal value from suppliers, potential suppliers or other third parties;

We will not have any personal or family conflicts of interest within our businesses or with our suppliers or other third parties with whom we do business;
You should have equivalent policies in your organisation.

This is standard procedure is many countries. Why do people feel like they need to force other people/company/community/country to do things their way? Even though this is hardly forcing.

Offline josem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:17 am »
It's super easy to find who this is from on the web, global British co. starting with a W... Not sure if you want to keep the terms verbatim, Dave.

You even have to sign junk like this to attend conferences these days. Some people don't know how to behave and every blog is a potential PR nightmare... Hard to believe but I've seen people complaining to companies for not having stuff like this.

But no accessibility policy clause? ;)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:17:26 am »
There are many companies that have those clauses verbatim, on top of the one you mention, there is one that starts with M and another one that starts with L

As well as some academic institutions.

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:07:21 am »
Suppliers and consultants that work with my employer have to do the same.
As employee, I go through a code of conduct re-training and certification every year.

Same here.  I always assumed it was part of a face-saving plan, where the company can brag that not only are THEY ethical, but they hold their partners to those same standards, because they're all such good people.  Then of course, reality sets in, along with all the usual high-jinks behind closed doors.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:19:50 am »
Let me guess - PR/advertising dept?
They're just trying to avoid the risk of bad publicity coming back on them.
 Most of it is so wooly & subjective as to be meaningless

and will give appropriate consideration to the impact of our work on minority segments of the population,
I have examined your point, and consider it appropriate to call you dickhead.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 10:17:44 am »
a company who shall remain nameless.
Weak, Dave.

Well, yeah, ok, I'm all for that stuff, but I can't help but think PISS OFF!
Yep. Too much HR, not enough substance.

Anyone else seen one of these kinds of things before?
All the time.

As an employee of a consulting company I don't personally have to deal with it, but typically (always) a counter-contract squashes it on the spot.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
I think you should make up your own version
e.g.
We will not knowingly create work which contains statements, suggestions or images offensive to general public decency and will give appropriate consideration to the impact of our work on minority segments of the population, whether that minority be by race, religion, national origin, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age or disability;
However there are some people who just can't take a joke, and if they get offended, tough titties.

Whilst we do not discriminate on the basis of any particular religion, we will not make any effort to pander to the wishes of anyone who chooses to live their life by archaic rules. It's the 21st Century, deal with it. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:34 am »
It's all very gag-inducingly PC. It's a shame that in modern society we feel the need to enshrine into a written contract what used to be common sense.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 12:26:10 pm »
The wife (who works in the government) just read it and didn't bat an eyelid, absolutely bog-standard corporate responsibility supplier agreement.

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 12:35:02 pm »
Your definition of "equivalent" may not be equivalent to mine  >:D

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »
a company who shall remain nameless.
Weak, Dave.

Why?
It's of no real public interest. I was given this in-confidence and their name will remain so.
Now, if they had a Hobby Lobby type discrimination thing happening then you bet your arse I would have exposed them. Otherwise, no.
But I raise it here out of community interest in such things, to promote discussion, and to see what's normal out there.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »
To me it smells of Government Department, no one else would bothered writing all that BS.
I have to swear to an abbreviated version of that every so often when I log into a Government work data system.
The funniest thing is the bit about intimidation and bullying and I think having to keep on testifying is actually a form of intimidation!
I try to ignore it as it just gets my BP up.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 12:38:20 pm »
It's all very gag-inducingly PC. It's a shame that in modern society we feel the need to enshrine into a written contract what used to be common sense.

This is why we have laws that apply to everyone.
To put this stuff in a private contract (which probably has almost zero validity anyway) is just silly  :palm:

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 12:43:02 pm »
I'm with jancups.  We go through the training/certification every year.  My company does business strictly on the government (federal/state) level and they have their own code of conduct (cough, cough, ahem) that we have to work in alignment with, though the 2 sets of codes do pretty well line up.  Not sure abou the international contracts as I am too far down the food chain to be involved there.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »
That is what I'm saying. It is not common sense, and this is not the accepted business model around the world. In east europe/russia/middle east/india it is expected to give a substantial present if you get a contract, I even heard percentages for goverment related order (reliable source, winning those orders).
Companies shouldn't have this "I'm on the moral high ground, and I require you to be also" mentality, because there is always a higher ground or a different look.
Next time you look around, and they require equal wage for workers and the CEO, the usage of only recycled materials, or you pay 10 percent to the Jehovah's Witnesses (or equivalent).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:04:26 pm by NANDBlog »

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »
That is what I'm saying. It is not common sense, and this is not the accepted business model around the world. In east europe/russia/middle east/india it is expected to give a substantial present if you get a contract, I even heard percentages for goverment related order (reliable source, winning those orders).
Which is why these companies use consultants to "handle" the sales.  If you're being asked to sign the contract then you're probably not being asked to sell directly to these other cultures.
"Who said that you should improve programming skills only at the workplace? Is the workplace even suitable for cultural improvement of any kind?" - Christophe Thibaut

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline jridley

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 01:19:42 pm »
Not allowed to possess weapons on property - the last mailbag might get you in trouble there Dave.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 01:26:18 pm »
Sounds like an advertising supply agreement.  It's stupidly PC and overkill, but fair enough, advertisers paying good money diddly squat for space on a website want to make sure that website isn't going to do stuff that will damage their reputation by association.

Personally I prefer an agreement like "1. don't be a dick; 2. see 1.".

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf